Phosphates in 0 TDS RODI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
After reading saltys thread about handheld TDS meters and RODI water I decided I would check out my rodi system out not specifically for TDS but po4. Its coming out at 0 TDS but when I checked for po4 it read 35 on hanna phosphorous, which converts to 0.10ppm. This is testing straight from the rodi to the vial, after letting the RODI flush for 10 min.

Yesterday I mixed up 30 gallons on fresh rodi, salt mix. Then I filled 2 IO pails full of fresh RODI. Today after testing the po4 coming from the RODI unit I checked the fresh salt mix from the day before,  it read 49 on hanna which converts to 0.15ppm. I then checked the reading from the fresh RODI water in the IO pails its read 39, 0.11 ppm .

The RODI unit filters were all replaced 3 months ago not even.  Im confused on whats going on , either my TDS meter is screwed on the unit or the hanna is off. Ive read a few threads on this and some guys were saying that you wont get a 0 po4 reading straight from the rodi unit only if you run a GFO reactor inline, but I have never even heard of that at all. Also after mixing up the 0.10 water with the IO salt mix I gained .5 po4 apparently. Anyone have some advice ? I really should buy a sailfert phosphate kit and check with that also but for now has anyone ever dealt with this ?

I checked p04 in display, read 0.08 . ???

davesolo29

Super Active Member
it wouldnt surprise me if the salt companies added some impurities to their products.  hell, if we all had pefect conditions from the start, we wouldnt need to buy more supplements or products.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
davesolo29 link said:
it wouldnt surprise me if the salt companies added some impurities to their products.  hell, if we all had pefect conditions from the start, we wouldnt need to buy more supplements or products.
isnt that what the expensive salt has    ?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=4511.msg41998#msg41998 date=1361657304]
isnt that what the expensive salt has    ?
[/quote]
I have no idea what the expensive salt has.  I know they boast more supplements, but i doubt they will advertise adding phospherous agents.. lol

reeffreak

Super Active Member
So I guess that's one of my questions.  After adding salt there more phosphates present anyone notice this ? Another question is does the rodi unit rid the water of all p04 or in my case should it be removing it all ?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i often wonder that too.

Is po4 considered to be a dissolved solid?
what exactly is removed during the RODI process and what is left behind?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Isn't tds technically how many parts per million (ppm) of dissolved solids in your water? If so, then you may read po4 as we are measuring levels below 0 for phosphates.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Im not reading any readins below 0 ? there would be nothing to read. the phosphrouse checker read in ppb low range po4. the hanna phosphate checker could read 0 but that doesnt mean its actually zero the actual level could be to low for the phosphate checker to read .

I can read the TDS before and after the unit , you want me to test the phosphate ? there will obviously be po4 present as it would be tap water .

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
i have the hanna phosphourus tester    duke says thats what to read when its lower then the 0 on the phosphate tester

ya  thats what im saying. the phosphate checker reads 0 doesnt mean u have really 0 po4 it means its lower then it can read. only the phosphorouse checker will tell u a more accurate result... or so i thought lol

but lets stay on topic here lol question is does anyone else read po4 in there new wc water .. or notice a higher level in po4 after adding salt to there rodi  and to clarify i am using the phosphorouse checker .

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Tds is in ppm.. So getting a reading of 10ppb po4 would read 0 on a tds meter.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Duke link said:

thank you duke, I suck at explaining this is exactly what i tried to explain lol any ideas on whats up ?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4511.msg42020#msg42020 date=1361666056]

thank you duke, I suck at explaining this is exactly what i tried to explain lol any ideas on whats up ?
[/quote]

i think your good to go.. your over thinking it ;-). next water change i do, you can test my PO4 on it and see if it varies much to your readings, other than that i wouldnt worry about it.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
getting a reading of 100000000ppm or ppb po4 wont register on a tds meter..  cause a po4 test and a tds test are two entirely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.