plumbing on new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gietz

Hey All,

I'm a little lost with the how to setup my plumbing to and from my sump.  anyone have any good reads (websites) or anything that can help me out on my first tank.

thx

M

marks69

i went full siphon 1 1/2 drain.  with another in reserve.  i also went 1 1/2" return, splitting into 4 3/4 " returns in the tank.  use lots of true union valves, use gate valves to adjust the flow if required.  also make sure the sump can handle the water when the pumps off.  make sure you use a siphon break on the return if it's low in the tank, to prevent the whole thing draining into the sump.  you can also use check valves if required, but they don't have the greatest reliability, so i used 2 in series on mine.  check out melves reef for sump ideas. 

S

shayneh

Gietz link said:
Hey All,

I'm a little lost with the how to setup my plumbing to and from my sump.  anyone have any good reads (websites) or anything that can help me out on my first tank.

thx

Hey Buddy what are we working with? I remember tank was drilled but if you can give particulars on number of holes and sizes, sump and return pump size then we can start offering up our .02!

Cheers!

G

Gietz

shayneh link said:
[quote author=Gietz link=topic=1009.msg6354#msg6354 date=1306015976]
Hey All,

thx

Hey Buddy what are we working with? I remember tank was drilled but if you can give particulars on number of holes and sizes, sump and return pump size then we can start offering up our .02!

Cheers!
[/quote]

Hey thx for the help AGAIN LMAO so Ive got 1 drilled hole measures 2.5 inches , sump is a a 35 gallon measuring 36L 12.5W 18T as for my return pump I'm not to sure I'm thinking about 600 after head lose but i don't have the pump picked out yet

M

marks69

that would be a 1 1/2" bulkhead.  if your running it in a full siphon you could do 3000+ gph with it, but if it's your only drain i would be worried.  look at the herbie or bean set ups and see some options.  how large is your overflow, that will be your limiting factor

G

Gietz

marks69 link said:
that would be a 1 1/2\" bulkhead.  if your running it in a full siphon you could do 3000+ gph with it, but if it's your only drain i would be worried.  look at the herbie or bean set ups and see some options.  how large is your overflow, that will be your limiting factor

what do yo mean siphon??  i dont have a pump sucking it out. its a corner box overflow that just drains throught gravity lol soooooo  ???  as for my overflow box it is about 5.5inch L, 3inch and about 3inch H, if that helps

as for the return pump any suggestion? i was looking at mag series but its either to high or to low. im looking for a good pump that will get me 500 to 600 after 4 foot head lose??

G

Gietz

So I'm thinking 1 1/2 down and 1 inch coming back up. Would that??

M

marks69

i have a little giant external that could do that if throttled down.

G

Gietz

pulpfiction1 link said:
wouldn't a mag 9 get you that at 4ft?

all i can see is a Mag9.5 and that would get me 800 after 4 feet or so J and L aquatics says lol my main worry is either not having enough flow or having to much but i think 1.5 inch down and 1 inch up will work.  i hope  ???  lmao

S

shayneh

Spend the extra cashola up front and get an eheim compact plus or the water blaster HY series. They don't put off as much heat or suck as much hydro as the mag's, and a big plus they have more accurate return specs.

The mags are seriously overated as far as their flow goes...I ran a mag 9.5 on a Biocube 29 and the only thing I noticed is my heater didn't turn on as much....LOL!

1.5 down and 1 up is good for this scenario using the eheim compact plus 5000 that can be throttled up from 660gph to 1320gph.

G

Gietz

with those Eheim how do they work with changing the gph? is there a switch on the pump itself??  or do i have to buy a regulator to increase or lower the pump??

thx

G

Gietz

last question lol, ill be using PVC pipe, but i just realized after i got the pipe that i need some kind of safe glue.  any brand that i could use and where would i get them home hardware??

M

marks69

hh only carries glue for vents.  homedepot carries the pvc glue

G

Gietz

OK is the certain one ii have to get that is aquarium safe??

Blob-79

Super Active Member
as long as its the proper glue (for pvc) you should be fine. pvc is used for potable water. so any glue that is labled as pvc glue will be safe as well.

M

marks69

the stuff at hh is for furnace exaust pipes, not potable. 

Status
Not open for further replies.