Problems Keeping Zoanthids

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
After a quick read through I am going to guess that you have an issue with species competition. Almost all corals (especially leathers) generate a toxic substance that inhibits the growth of competing coral. Other leathers are generally able to tolerate this secretion much better than zoas and gsp (for example) but could still effect each other. I see no mention of the use of GAC in your post which is a vital component of removing this toxic secretion, you also mention that your skimmer pulls out an abundance of thick skimmate, which is another clue that there is a lot of biological activity in the tank, again hinting that these secretions might be overwhelming the tank. If you do not do so already, I would get a high grade GAC and run that 100% of the time for the next few months, changing it at least every month, maybe more, and watch to see if your polyp extension improves. Alternatively increasing your water change frequency can have the same effect.

Thanks for the advice reefgeek. However for the uninitiated minimalist who hasn't used additives could you please define GAC? Also, what is the best way to use it in the tank?

reefgeek

Granular Activated Carbon, rox0.8 is my choice and is readily available. Use it in a reactor for best efficiency or throw it in a bag in an area of decent flow in a sump. You could also use an old aquaclear hang on filter and throw a bag of it in there.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I have been running rox GAC now for a few years.... I would recommend to anyone running a reef tank! If you look around at some people with tank of the months they are usually running GAC. It will not absorb no3 but will help to absorb organics and metals in the water. If you are carbon dosing and start running carbon, without much tumble you could see bacteria build up on the carbon..... This is not a bad thing..... Just be aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Granular Activated Carbon, rox0.8 is my choice and is readily available. Use it in a reactor for best efficiency or throw it in a bag in an area of decent flow in a sump. You could also use an old aquaclear hang on filter and throw a bag of it in there.
Thanks, I'll look for some. Will it make a difference to how much Vodka I am dosing?

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
It should not. Keep carbon dosing with vodka to control your no3

Thanks, will do. Ordered some rox0.8 today so I'll see how it goes and keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the suggestions. It gives me lots to work with. I'm eager to see how things improve. :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I have a tlf 150 and maxijet if you want to go that route... $25
I would love to purchase this. I had planned to put it into a mesh bag inside a plastic container that has lots of holes in it and attach it to my overflow pipe but a reactor would work much better. Can I come to get it this weekend?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I tumble mine as hard as I can in a tlf.... Some ppl claim it cause certain fish disease but I've yet to see any credible evidence to support that. Plus I see lots of other long term successful reefers doing the same.....
I zip tie a small mesh bag to the output of my reactor to trap any pieces that get out..... There's always a decent bit that accumulates in this bag too for me.
I also let it sit in rodi for 24 hours so it will settle to the bottom. I have found the ROX carbon to float and you have to slowly increase tumble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltyair

I would highly suggest not to tumble the carbon. There has been studies showing that carbon powder does create a build up and has health effects on corals and anemones - it is also suspected head lateral erosion (hlle)
It also works much better in a reactor when water is forced through it. Keep it packed and it will improve effectiveness

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I would highly suggest not to tumble the carbon. There has been studies showing that carbon powder does create a build up and has health effects on corals and anemones - it is also suspected head lateral erosion (hlle)
It also works much better in a reactor when water is forced through it. Keep it packed and it will improve effectiveness

So when I put it into the TLF 50 you say I should pack it fairly firm instead of letting it tumble - am I reading correctly? Would the fine mesh bag that Reef Hero puts on his output not help collect the powder that tumbling creates?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member

There might have been studies done "showing" this but I still have yet to find one that holds any credible link between between the two.... And how do you explain why people such as myself and many others have tumbled the GAC for years and yet have managed to keep a healthy and flourishing tank of fish and corals? As far as I can see from running GAC the "dust" is going to come out whether you run it in a bag, pack it tight in a reactor, or tumble it.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltyair

So when I put it into the TLF 50 you say I should pack it fairly firm instead of letting it tumble - am I reading correctly? Would the fine mesh bag that Reef Hero puts on his output not help collect the powder that tumbling creates?

Yes packing it is the most effective way. Yes having a mesh would collect some of the powder (always rinse the carbon first)
The problem with tumbling other than the health issues of the coral and inverts. Carbon is a soft material and erodes with friction, toxins that do get taken up by the carbon are then released back into the system.
Like reef hero said he has done it for years with out issues and it works for him.

If you look at how carbon is used in other industries ( pharmaceutical, drinking water,farming ) carbon is never tumbled.

I also use carbon in a reactor - I put a sponge on the bottom and top of the carbon and push them together firmly (not crushing) put the grate on and pour off the first gallon.
If you go to the brs web site they have videos on putting together a carbon reactor.

Yes packing it is the most effective way. Yes having a mesh would collect some of the powder (always rinse the carbon first)
The problem with tumbling other than the health issues of the coral and inverts. Carbon is a soft material and erodes with friction, toxins that do get taken up by the carbon are then released back into the system.
Like reef hero said he has done it for years with out issues and it works for him.

If you look at how carbon is used in other industries ( pharmaceutical, drinking water,farming ) carbon is never tumbled.

I also use carbon in a reactor - I put a sponge on the bottom and top of the carbon and push them together firmly (not crushing) put the grate on and pour off the first gallon.
If you go to the brs web site they have videos on putting together a carbon reactor.

I rum mine in 2 fine mesh bags and set in overflow in first compartment of refugium I if sits on egg crate rack with floss under and floss over to trap particles
carbon is an absorbent like saltyair said and tumbling grinds the particles and releases everything absorbed back into tank.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I rum mine in 2 fine mesh bags and set in overflow in first compartment of refugium I if sits on egg crate rack with floss under and floss over to trap particles
carbon is an absorbent like saltyair said and tumbling grinds the particles and releases everything absorbed back into tank.
Thanks, that makes sense.