Question about upgrading

prism127

Well after about 5 months into salt I have decided to take the next step. I am upgrading from my 30 gallon to a new 70 gallon tank. couple basic questions do I take the crushed coral direct from my 30 and move it to the 70 for the bacteria or get new coral and get rid of the old stuff or should I just clean the old crushed coral and put it in the bigger tank. I have already bought a could bags of crushed coral for the new tank just need to know about the old stuff.
also taking some of the cycled water from the first tank and putting it in the big tank will this help cycle the tank faster
thanks for any suggestions

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You could do it either way.  Both ways will work.  Obviously with any move, you're going to see a cycle.  The more you move over the less of a spike you "might" experience.  In any move, you're going to experience some die off and that will cause a spike regardless.

Are you having any issues with your crushed coral now?  Like cyano growing on it?

Also, is the new tank going in the exact same spot your 30g is now?  Are you using a sump with a refugium? 

When I did my move, I used new Crushed coral in the DT, but placed my old crushed coral in my new refugium.  When you do your transition, be prepared to do a series of small water changes to keep your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates down.  Especially if you have some more sensitive corals your moving.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
cycled water or new water wont make any difference.  water plays very little in terms of cycling a tank.  What using th eold water does accomplish is making the transition for your livestock and corals easier.

do you have any livestock to move?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
5months is not a long time for the substrate to gather crap.  I would rinse it in saltwater and reuse it in a second.

prism127

ok thanks
I am thinking about keeping both tanks going for a while and slowly move the coral after a month or so. I am going to give it about 2 weeks before I start to move the fish. I will be using a small sump on the tank not sure how I am setting it up yet

prism127

Neopimp link said:
do you have any livestock to move?

Yes I have livestock to move,2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 dottyback, 1 doral beauty, 2 hermits 9 snails and some coral, The coral will be the last to transition over

theyangman

Distinguished Member
If possible I would start fresh.

I assume in your new tank you will be adding more rock, so get the new substrate in, add your new rock, and take a few pieces of the old live rock to help seed the new stuff and wait, cycle the tank fully on its own. If you have the luxury of moving things slowly, then getting the new tank up and running at 100% first would be my choice. It is the slowest, but the safest to ensure no dangers.

Then at the end of the day the stress on the fish or coral will be nothing more than say bringing home a new piece of livestock from the fish store.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
theyangman link said:
If possible I would start fresh.

I assume in your new tank you will be adding more rock, so get the new substrate in, add your new rock, and take a few pieces of the old live rock to help seed the new stuff and wait, cycle the tank fully on its own. If you have the luxury of moving things slowly, then getting the new tank up and running at 100% first would be my choice. It is the slowest, but the safest to ensure no dangers.

Then at the end of the day the stress on the fish or coral will be nothing more than say bringing home a new piece of livestock from the fish store.
^X2

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
What tony said is an option.

But it's not a big deal to move a tank over.

All you have to do is put the new sand in the tank.
Put new live or clean dry rock in the other tank ( clean dry rock might be better, little to no extra die off)
And then simply move everything over.

Take fish and corals out of your current tank and put in buckets. Then move all the rock and water over, be careful to not stir up your existing substrate... Once all the rock and water is transferred make sure the temp and salinity are the same for the fish and coral and plop them in.

I've done it countless time with no losses.

prism127

Thanks everyone for the advise

Ill post pics once I get the tank setup and some rock work in it.
Probably going to get a couple green chromis to have life during the cycle period
I have about 15 pounds of live rock in the sump of my little tank that I will move first
I am looking at getting about 30 more pounds of clean rock as well

theyangman

Distinguished Member
prism127 link said:
Probably going to get a couple green chromis to have life during the cycle period

This is not cool. Having fish in the tank while cycling a tank is just putting them through hell for no reason. A fishless cycle is just as easy and doesn't have to endanger fish.

Before you say "I did it last time and no one died" look it up, and read about what they go through during a fresh tank cycle. 100% not cool.

Bfofre

Anyone that stands firm on the righteousness of  "no fish cycling"  ought to consider this entire hobby as cruel..
Taking fish,  inverts and other animals from any natural habitat is cruel then.!  Cycling can be accomplished without fish,  with fish  whatever your conscience tells you is right for you..

If this site becomes the "no fish cycle"  site..  I bid you all adieu!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

bart84

I just did an upgrade from a 55 to a 75 and had no bad effects. I took everything out of my 55 and put it in containers. then I set up the 75 and transferred everything back in right away. I put new substrate in but my other was a 1.5 yr old and didn't like it anyways. The only thing I left out for awhile was my sponge, only till the water cleared up but died anyways. running now for three weeks and all is good.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah i just recently moved my 46gall to a 75, and just tossed my old substrate out and didnt ever put any back in. Used all my old water and added new dry rock, and new water, no losses, and no stress from what i could see, except myself...what a long day lol

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Bfofre link said:
Anyone that stands firm on the righteousness of  \"no fish cycling\"  ought to consider this entire hobby as cruel..
Taking fish,  inverts and other animals from any natural habitat is cruel then.!  Cycling can be accomplished without fish,  with fish  whatever your conscience tells you is right for you..

If this site becomes the \"no fish cycle\"  site..  I bid you all adieu!

Cycling a tank with fish is almost as cruel and inhumane as putting a living coral in Tony's tank.    ;)

theyangman

Distinguished Member
AdInfinitum link said:
[quote author=Bfofre link=topic=8737.msg94017#msg94017 date=1400279091]
Anyone that stands firm on the righteousness of  \"no fish cycling\"  ought to consider this entire hobby as cruel..

Cycling a tank with fish is almost as cruel and inhumane as putting a living coral in Tony's tank.    ;)
[/quote]

Cycle your tank with all the fish you want Befofre, there are obviously levels of considerations we can take to help minimize the stress we place on our pets, and if you feel that cycling a new tank with fish is perfectly acceptable, go ahead. We can't police stuff like that and its your money and your choice. Do as you please. Some of us think that there are better ways to go about things, but hey its your call.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
AdInfinitum link said:

HA! that's where you're wrong. LPS seem to do fine. SPS however.... well, then you'd be correct...

Jewel

Bfofre link said:

The Aquarium trade can't be driven from fish or inverts caught in the wild, It couldn't sustain its self, So when you say it's cruel to take these animals from their habitat initially you're right. BUT That only represents less than 1 percent of where our stock comes from. There are huge farms all around the globe that supply Fish, Inverts, Corals etc. I will agree that cycling our tank with Fish is cruel when it can be done other ways.

Bfofre

Eating chicken from McDonald's is equally cruel...  That's what I mean about righteousness....  Be careful when you stand for something,  cause everyone lives in a glass house! 

If you read my post,  I said its whatever your conscience allows..  Just like the decisions you make each and every day.. 
Everyone is quick to jump in someone about "it's cruel"  well hell.. So are a lot of things..

How about a better approach... You know,  there are other ways to cycle your tank,  if you'd like to discuss we can help!

Save the Cycle police crap for the sites that everyone here  came to escape!

Point,  counter point..  :)