Question about upgrading

Jewel

I agree with Tony, We can't police people on what they do with their tanks, We can although make comments about peoples choices but those comments are just opinions and we all have a right to our own opinions, just as we all have choices of where we choose to make our opinions known, I'll respect your opinions but I may choose not to agree with them.

Jewel

That's the story of life, The strong survive at the expense of the weak, The Rich and the Poor, With all that's going on in the World today, I'm glad I live in great country like Canada, Are we Immune to the terrible acts of Men? No we aren't and there may be a time when those terrible acts are closer to us than we are prepared to accept, We all make choices every day that we make with our consciousness, some minute and some very cruel. I guess it all depends on where you are and what you believe in.

Bfofre

My only point.. Was the original response was harsh and swift,  I stay at this forum cause no one stands in judgement of the decisions made or condemnation for making them 
I merely meant to point out before you get out you "don't cycle with fish"  soap box,  maybe offer alternative suggestions,  positive advice.. Etc..    Like i said.. Pretty sure we all live in a glass house..  I know my dog didn't enjoy getting his nuts cut off.. But hey,  cruel or not,  the humane society tells me is responsible pet ownership!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Bfofre link said:
My only point.. Was the original response was harsh and swift,  I stay at this forum cause no one stands in judgement of the decisions made or condemnation for making them 
I merely meant to point out before you get out you \"don't cycle with fish\"  soap box,  maybe offer alternative suggestions,  positive advice.. Etc..    Like i said.. Pretty sure we all live in a glass house..  I know my dog didn't enjoy getting his nuts cut off.. But hey,  cruel or not,  the humane society tells me is responsible pet ownership!

I did tell him exactly that, and I didn't preach from the proverbial soap box, I merely said it wasn't cool. I didn't threaten to try and have him removed from the forums, ALL I said is that it is cruel, and not cool. Read my post again. End of the day if people want to cycle with fish so be it. It REALLY doesn't change my life in the slightest bit what you do with your tank. I could not possibly care any less how you want to take care of your tank. Cycle it with fish, cycle it with frozen shrimp, cycle the tank with a dead hooker, it's your choice dude. I simply suggested in case he was new (which he is) he might not realize that a fishless cycle is just as effective and has no ill side effects.

theyangman link said:
[quote author=prism127 link=topic=8737.msg93894#msg93894 date=1400244790]

Probably going to get a couple green chromis to have life during the cycle period

This is not cool. Having fish in the tank while cycling a tank is just putting them through hell for no reason. A fishless cycle is just as easy and doesn't have to endanger fish.

Before you say "I did it last time and no one died" look it up, and read about what they go through during a fresh tank cycle. 100% not cool.
[/quote]

If you think that response was harsh then man, I would love to live in your world for a few days.... The swiftness was to perhaps prevent and avoid a pointless fish cycle for the chromis, but nothing ill intended at the end of the day. I would be willing to bet that most of the reefers on here would all make the conscious decision to cycle without fish if given the choice again had they known back then, what they know now (providing they even used fish in their first cycle)

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Jewel link said:
I agree with Tony, We can't police people on what they do with their tanks, We can although make comments about peoples choices but those comments are just opinions and we all have a right to our own opinions, just as we all have choices of where we choose to make our opinions known, I'll respect your opinions but I may choose not to agree with them.

Shiit. We need to call Satan, and see if hell has frozen over..... You agree with me?!?!?!?

lol

Bfofre

Yes words like cruel,  100% not cool all completely conducive to a learning environment and learning forum..  And "dude"  you are welcome to come live in "my world"  anytime..  In fact consider this an official request! 

Taking this discussion here ^^^^ makes no sense.. 

Since you claim not to care less,  don't comment with words like cruel then..  Back to my original point..  And the point of the forum,  teach the guy... 

I'll assume your success is reason enough for me to bow out of this discussion now..

Good luck to the original poster with your transfer,  pm me if you need some advice..

Was never meant to be an argument,  I apologize to those I may have offended.. 

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Bfofre link said:
Yes words like cruel,  100% not cool all completely conducive to a learning environment and learning forum..  And \"dude\"  you are welcome to come live in \"my world\"  anytime..  In fact consider this an official request! 

Taking this discussion here ^^^^ makes no sense.. 

Since you claim not to care less,  don't comment with words like cruel then..  Back to my original point..  And the point of the forum,  teach the guy... 

I'll assume your success is reason enough for me to bow out of this discussion now..

Good luck to the original poster with your transfer,  pm me if you need some advice..

Was never meant to be an argument,  I apologize to those I may have offended.. 

See this is the beauty of an internet forum, I can call a spade a spade and if you disagree with it, then you can now either put up or shut up.

Prove to me that it isn't cruel to cycle a new tank with fish and I'll apologize for using the word "cruel". Because there are countless articles that I can show you about what goes on in a tank during the initial cycle and how cruel it actually is to subject a fish to those conditions unnecessarily when a piece of  frozen shrimp will do the exact same thing.

Bfofre

Torx link said:
You 2 done attacking each other yet?

Never attacked.. Until "my world"  was questioned.... And even then...

But whatever... We'll let experience,  success and value of advice for the op be the focus!

Unsubscribed...  I'm busy Going to stress some fish out,  cruel like,  get some children to sew my clothes,  and hell cut the balls off of puppies and remove the claws from cats...

Jewel

Hey we're all good, Funny thing is I thing we all agree on Cycling behaviour and Tony just because I agree with you this time does mean that hell will freeze over before it happens again. Hey Mark  Chill man. It's all good, life is good.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I always thought you just lifted the old tank into the new upgrade. Seems pretty simple to me ;) all kidding aside...

Best of luck on your upgrade and be sure to take some pics and let us all know how it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
always use damsels here,always had sucess,you cant kill those buggers

You ANIMAL!!!

Hehe
Just use Betta fish, it would be a more merciful death that the 1000's of them that die daily in some hipsters fish bowl...

How about the gold fish I used to feed to my piranhas... Chomp chomp chomp, half eating fish swimming around... I'm terrible eh?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Honestly, once I got my first SW tank established, I have moved and setup countless systems for myself and friends
and with a handful of substrate and a piece of rock from an established system and stocking the new tank one fish at a time a couple of weeks apart I haven't seen significant measurable cycle since the first tank.  Maybe a tiny blip of ammonia then a short period of measurable nitrite which is not toxic to fish in marine salinity  and done. 

With forums and communities like this that allow Newbs to hook up with experienced reefers to get their tanks seeded, there is really no need for the evil that are damsels or for anyone to have to wait out a full nitrogen cycle anymore.