Raspberry Pi 3

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have been meaning to post this all week. I already run 2 Raspberry Pi 2 B+ but I am excited and seriously need a few of these. Or at least one as all my other TV's already have ethernet jacks with the cable jacks, but I have a few places where the newly added integrated wifi and Bluetooth. Oh an an updated processor from the 900mhz in the raspberry pi 2 to 1.2Ghz in the Pi 3. with one of these, you could make a powerful computer for under $100. Grab up the Raspberry, a used monitor, keyboard and mouse and you would have a cheap portable computer.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

IMG_4090-500x334.jpg

• A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU (~10x the performance of Raspberry Pi 1)
  • Integrated 802.11n wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1
  • Still only $35
For people who think Raspberry Pi is nothing big

• "Exactly four years ago, on 29 February 2012, we unleashed the original 256MB Raspberry Pi Model B on a largely unsuspecting world. Since then, we’ve shipped over eight million units, including three million units of Raspberry Pi 2, making us the UK’s all-time best-selling computer."

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I have one of these, but really never got around to doing anything with it. I picked up the kit and even got the wifi dongle.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have one set up as a NAS (8TB storage space currently through 2 x 4TB drives) and the other has OSMC installed on it to use as a TV box. The one one the TV is powered off a USB port on the TV even and the remote is an app on our phone. We love it. I download to my NAS then we stream to the TV, even 1080p is perfect. Plus we get most our shows through the box as well :)

The advantage to the new one having integrated WiFi and Bluetooth is that now you can free up the limited USB ports. Previously if you plug in a mouse, keyboard, WiFi dongle, then you only have one port left for a USBHDD/thumb, drive; blammo, full. I personally have 2 USBHDD plugged with no keyboard or mouse (remote access to it from my laptop) and am using ethernet with plans on adding more storage.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Had to look up my amazon order history bought it in 2014 Pi 2

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GWTNYJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it to teach my son how to code. I used to write custom software programs professionally for about 10 years. He just wasn't interested enough, I lost interest as well, life sometimes gets in the way. I bought a Roku 3 and have Hulu, netflicks and HBO now. I haven't had cable in over 3 years.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Had to look up my amazon order history bought it in 2014 Pi 2

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GWTNYJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it to teach my son how to code. I used to write custom software programs professionally for about 10 years. He just wasn't interested enough, I lost interest as well, life sometimes gets in the way. I bought a Roku 3 and have Hulu, netflicks and HBO now. I haven't had cable in over 3 years.
Nice kit. Lots of potential. I really need to buy more lol

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Easto

Dumb it down for me .....

Is this another box that I can load Kodi onto?

How is the wifi? I had an android box with wifi and the wifi signal was never that great and the box was real laggy.

I currently have an Apple Tv jalbroken that's hard wired to my modem and it's pretty handy. However, I need another box or two for other TVs.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes... only it is not Kodi anymore, it is OSMC. The Kodi app is still the controller I use though. I really like that our phone is the controller. That way we can monitor what the kids are watching.

I have not tried over WiFi as of yet or heard of the quality if the integrated WiFi. The previous version uses a USB WiFi dongle, which is as good as the what you purchase.

I have 0 lag on my Pi 2. I watched Death Pool last night in 1080p streaming off my NAS. My kids watch a lot of HD TV shows off of it. I use the Genesis App on the box for TV and Movies.

Easto

I used to use Genesis, but now use Exodus. I heard Genesis isn't getting updates anymore and Exodus is the new Genesis.

And I have no idea what OSMC is.

Kyle1970

Specto seems to work decent.
I will check exodus as well.

Running Ubuntu with latest updates for "kodi" shows exodus broken.

Last edited:

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Check out Joenobody010101 on youtube, he promotes some of the latest KODI builds.
Here is a link to his latest review of the Beast build ever....

Should give you just about everything you need for your viewing pleasure!

check it out...

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
i use my rasp pi 1 for a kodi box... works well enough for me and its first gen.

Nighthawk26

Check out Joenobody010101 on youtube, he promotes some of the latest KODI builds.
Here is a link to his latest review of the Beast build ever....

Should give you just about everything you need for your viewing pleasure!

check it out...

I can never listen to that clown for more than a few minutes at a time. Makes me crazy.

I prefer a simple Aeon Nox. Well supported, every add on works well with it. No grief for longer periods of time.