Red slime

Giglio324

i have some red slime right now to. i heard if you take you remove the chaeto from your system it goes away however that works. that may be my next move

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I used to get the red slime. I tried a bunch of methods but finally I am free of it. How?
By keeping po4 at almost 0ppm,  running ultra low nutrients, and blowing off detritus on rocks now and again. I don't bother stirring my sand at all anymore because I see zero buildup on the sand now. I do not run any products anymore to control the cyano..... However, I will dose some coral snow after blowing off all LiveRock.
I have been lazy as of late though and haven't really been keeping up with cleaning off rocks and doing coral snow afterwards and still see no cyano....
To say that it is a lighting issue and turning off lights is only a temp. Solution IMO.....of course cyano needs light to grow just like HA or other similar algaes. I used to notice my cyano very little on sand bed when lights first came on but then before they turned off I could see cyano everywhere on the SB.....it likes light! But turning off the lights is not really an option for us...... We need to eliminate the nutrients feeding it and get rid of what is there now.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
monizb link said:
I have heard cut back on lighting as well I will change gfo and maybe remove cheto does carbon have a roll at all

Samsung s3

Do you run any carbon at all? I run carbon 24/7.....

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Also, 7 months is not that long really to have a tank up and running.... No offense....
Are you running pellets?
I once read an article that stated cyano was the first bacteria on earth.....could be why we see it in newer tanks....perhaps it's just something we need to get past.....
Don't give up!!! :)

monizb

Super Active Member
No I'm not running  pellets I run gfo and carbon and I won't give up just because of some slime been in hobby for a while. Now my first tank was a 50 then 90 now 160 love this hobby this is where u learn everyday and thanks to the amazing guys on thefragtanmO0

Samsung s3

monizb

Super Active Member
I'm going to try microbacter7 lots of good reviews and with pellets there is a mix review wish I'm going to stay away from going to change gfo out this weekend and do water change and add microbacter7 and go from there hope it works

Samsung s3

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
monizb link said:
I have heard cut back on lighting as well I will change gfo and maybe remove cheto does carbon have a roll at all

Samsung s3

I get Cyano blooms anytime I have increased the carbon sources in my system, whether through vodka/sugar dosing, when I put biocubes online and now as I have just increased the amount of biopellets I am running despite GFO and zero measurable phosphates.  Those blooms are only temporary and will die out as long as your fundamental conditions are good.

C

copperkills

Run Ecobak! As for cyano I have been dosing ZeoZym weekly for the last 7 years :) spotless!!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
copperkills link said:
Run Ecobak! As for cyano I have been dosing ZeoZym weekly for the last 7 years :) spotless!!

turn the white light on. you cant see anything when your looking at twilight zone.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
AdInfinitum link said:
[quote author=monizb link=topic=6288.msg60925#msg60925 date=1379358952]

Samsung s3

I get Cyano blooms anytime I have increased the carbon sources in my system, whether through vodka/sugar dosing, when I put biocubes online and now as I have just increased the amount of biopellets I am running despite GFO and zero measurable phosphates.  Those blooms are only temporary and will die out as long as your fundamental conditions are good.
[/quote]

Have you been running pellets this whole time?

DerekL

With my 90 gallon I went with LEDs and had also got a cyano break out. After doing research as to where it came from as my parameters where all good if read that a change in colour spectrum can be a cause for a break out and ALOT of times ppl see these break outs when they change there bulbs or upgrade to a better light source. I tried reduced photo period with no avail so I broke down and used Chemi clean red slime remover and followed the directions exactly and within 48 hrs it was all gone and I haven't seen any sign of it since. I didn't loose any of my coral or did any of them show signs of stress. Good luck I had even tried 20% water changes every few days as well.

C

copperkills

unibob link said:
[quote author=copperkills link=topic=6288.msg60992#msg60992 date=1379380592]

turn the white light on. you cant see anything when your looking at twilight zone.
[/quote]

Or only run blue light like I do! You wont even see the cyano!! Lol

Boga

Giglio324 link said:
i have some red slime right now to. i heard if you take you remove the chaeto from your system it goes away however that works. that may be my next move

Why removing the chaeato would reduce the red slime? Anyone knows?