Reef Crystals...petsmart.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So I've asked the smaller local shops if they can get Reef Crystals, and one isn't stocking anymore, and another doesn't respond to PMs, so don't think I didn't try the little guy first...

Petsmart carries RC, and as a bonus, they deliver for free on orders over $100. AS AN ADDED BONUS they currently have a discount code if you sign up and order (currently PETLOVE15). So 2 buckets, shipped to my door, taxes in was $142.04 Not the greatest deal in the universe, but considering a lot of places are dumping instant ocean for either inferior, or more expensive salt, I figure this would be useful info for some.

The store in town has one in stock, I could just go pick up (they had a great sale on it about 3 years ago, I had forgotten). So if I hear of good deals I'll post it up here.

I'm not sure what all they put in reef crystals, but if you keep a regular water change schedule (I do 5 gallons 3-4 times a week), your sps will just explode. I have a millie colony that looks like it's got a winter coat on even during the day now, so the stuff works. i think I've said before that the growth of my sps is directly related to my water change schedule. When I'm growing out, I up the WC, and book, they just go crazy. If I cut way back, they stop putting out new growth tips and just sort of chillax. Probably it's best to keep it growing and happy, and just do aggressive cutting.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i was looking for reef crystals but didnt find a store carrying it.
Was told they no longer made it lol

Went with Kent marine which was 79$ for a pail (makes 200g)

But i will be looking into this Petsmart thing.

Thanks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Petsmart is always the go to place for salt. Actually it is about the only salt I can get without shipping. it also goes on sale a lot there and will rain check. It is the salt all major aquariums use for their tanks plus I dose anyways to tweak levels.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah I had used them before, but usually like to support local (well until they piss me off lol).

Big Al's isn't carrying it anymore, and I don't think sustainable carries it either, so the puppy mill it is. Man, I do have to admit I hate going in there and seeing cages with puppies in them. Cats can live with a lump of wood and be content (as long as the lump of wood puts food down), but puppies, man that's tough. They're pack animals, taken from their mothers....
Oh and a few years ago there were 'furries' running around in there, trying to talk to my kid. My wife said "oh look, they have mascots!" I said "they're not mascots, they're furries, they like to have kinky sex in costumes, and maybe these ones are pedos too". But I digress. I don't like chain stores I guess I'm saying. Or furries. I sure love Reef Crystals salt though. I think if we can't get that anymore I might actually quit the hobby...

Jason Bell

I was not to pleased with my Kent marine pail, I used more than normal for me. My go to salt is Red Sea Pro, mixes fast, I use less when mixing and the levels are elivated which works for my weekly WC to keep things steady.

I have not seen instant ocean around here in a while.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I gave up on anything but RC quite a while back. I was seeing inconsistencies in Instant ocean batches, and I switched to R2Ocean salt, but then all of a sudden I was getting things like dinos and mass algae explosions, so switched to RC, and since then, have had nothing but good luck in the tank (well except for the pump that went bad and dumped voltage into the tank). I just stick with what works, until it stops working :)

Alexanneka

I know that PetSmart on occasion has a 2 for 1 deal for Pet Perks Card holders, I usually try to hold out until these sales and then stock up when they hit. Seems to be random so i always keep an eye on the Petsmart website. Ends up costing just over 90 bucks for 2 pails in store.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I know that PetSmart on occasion has a 2 for 1 deal for Pet Perks Card holders, I usually try to hold out until these sales and then stock up when they hit. Seems to be random so i always keep an eye on the Petsmart website. Ends up costing just over 90 bucks for 2 pails in store.

I think that's when I last bought from them. I don't remember it being that good of a price, but maybe.

Winks

Website Affiliate
I usually try to pick a salt that is the closest to what I am trying to keep my parameters. I've done a bit of research on the subject of cost, parameters and how well the different brands are mixed in the buckets/boxes that we receive it in. Here are a couple videos put out by BRS that I believe we can all agree, they do the homework for us if we are willing to watch and listen to what they have to say.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...y-before-we-get-to-use-it-brstv-investigates/

Jason Bell

I always watch brs channel, more so listen than watch. I do like that red sea has a code on each pail that you can look up and it tells you exactly the compounds, have I done it? No, I just mix it and as long as all the corals are happy I'm happy.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I usually try to pick a salt that is the closest to what I am trying to keep my parameters. I've done a bit of research on the subject of cost, parameters and how well the different brands are mixed in the buckets/boxes that we receive it in. Here are a couple videos put out by BRS that I believe we can all agree, they do the homework for us if we are willing to watch and listen to what they have to say.

That's fantastic.

Tim A

I always watch brs channel, more so listen than watch. I do like that red sea has a code on each pail that you can look up and it tells you exactly the compounds, have I done it? No, I just mix it and as long as all the corals are happy I'm happy.
Aquaforest Salt has same thing, you can see the batch ICP results.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Thanks for sharing, I’m just about through my 3 year stockpile of AquaForest, seems like salt brands come and go but I like keeping with RC if it’s still available.

Yeah me too. Too many years messing around with alternative brands, too many weird things in the tank that just don't seem to show up with the RC.
I have been doing 5 gallon water changes almost every day since that pump I had decided to dump voltage, and I have had nothing but good results. There was one brand (and it may even have been IO salt) that had high phosphates in some batches, I remember fresh makeup water would have 20PPM of phosphates. If I dumped this much RC into my tank and it was heavy loaded with PO₄, I'd have an algae explosion. The stuff just works, no idea why stores are moving away from it.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Yeah me too. Too many years messing around with alternative brands, too many weird things in the tank that just don't seem to show up with the RC.
I have been doing 5 gallon water changes almost every day since that pump I had decided to dump voltage, and I have had nothing but good results. There was one brand (and it may even have been IO salt) that had high phosphates in some batches, I remember fresh makeup water would have 20PPM of phosphates. If I dumped this much RC into my tank and it was heavy loaded with PO₄, I'd have an algae explosion. The stuff just works, no idea why stores are moving away from it.
Cause people are snow flakes and cant handle a little brown in the makeup barrel, who cares right?¿, some peoples just cant handle getting a little dirty, lmao