Reef Crystals...petsmart.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Mmmmmmm gotta love me some Reef Crystals.

699969bc4cc998877d2d0755c3add5de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Seasquirt

Why are stores not carrying Rc, i thought it was very popular. There are other brands such as kent, Red sea, Tropic Marin. I see fritz advertised quite a bit, is it cheap and or inferior. I'm looking to buy a bucket of something. Whats a bucket of Tropic Marin going for. Ian at Sustainable Marine mentioned that brand. Anything thats great at a decent price?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Why are stores not carrying Rc, i thought it was very popular. There are other brands such as kent, Red sea, Tropic Marin. I see fritz advertised quite a bit, is it cheap and or inferior. I'm looking to buy a bucket of something. Whats a bucket of Tropic Marin going for. Ian at Sustainable Marine mentioned that brand. Anything thats great at a decent price?
IO RC is extremely popular and the widest used salt in public aquariums. They keep the price down by selling in bulk to big box stores like PetSmart and Big Als. Most hobby shops can not afford nor have the resale to purchase several skids at a time. You can normally get it at PetSmart and it quite often goes on sale for $40-50 a pail. You will find mixed reviews on every salt out there. Personally I have used IO RC ever since day 1 in this hobby. Well, I am wrong, I used DD for a pail but quickly realized that the cost (especially on a large system) did not compensate for any advantages.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah not sure what changed, but suddenly the local places were either selling cheap salt, or crazy expensive designer salt. I grow sps, I use RC, and plan to do so until I literally no longer can find it. Every problem I have ever had with a tank has been after changing brands of salt, not saying the other salts caused the problems, but perhaps some element in them that isn't in RC caused imbalances. One such incident was a tank full of dinoflagellates, which developed shortly after switching from IO to H2Ocean. Never again, I'll stick with what works. I wanted this thread stickied as I order a ton at a time, and by the time I'm up for re-ordering I usually hunt around trying to find it, but almost always the 'puppy-mill-known-as-petsmart' has it in stock, and delivers to my doorstep.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I use to be a salt freak , I always thought it was my problem , like @Salty Cracker @TORX said is very true , and how everyone should look at salt . I’m a believer every and any company may have a bad batch once in a blue moon
remember it’s not the machines fault it’s the guy using it lol.

most important thing is...
where you can get it from / availability
And price
At some point us reefers get corals , and let’s be real .. we all have to dose at some point , and can’t rely on water changes anymore .

I’ve used 5 different brands of salt
Now I’m on blue box reef salt ,
Was aquaforest for years but with covid I couldn’t get it anymore/ was sold out.

In conclusion don’t get tied up in salts and ignore review on them , half the guys don’t no crap and just talk for the views !

Seasquirt

Ok Salty i do like that price 40-50 a pail and very good salt. You are in London what store do you frequent and whats their regular price?

Painter Steve

Donor
The regular price is $86.99. The sale is a great deal so stock up for the year when its on. I've tried swapping to other salts and have nothing but problems so +1 with Salty & Torx. When you find something that works and has great results then stick with it. Just make sure to roll the pale around to mix it up before you open and use.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Ok Salty i do like that price 40-50 a pail and very good salt. You are in London what store do you frequent and what's their regular price?
I really only shop with Aaron @ big als in London. The guy honestly is a good friend to the reef community. For the salt, I only order online through petsmart now. I've in the past gotten the box deals (which are the best) through Aaron and Ian@sustainable, but they just don't get my salt anymore. If they get in a special order of the boxes, they should make a big post here and I'll sticky it, but otherwise I will just keep buying through petsmart, the outlet with a crazy number of accusations of puppy mill business (and where my son got accosted by furries pretending to be "mascots"). Believe me, I'd much rather be promoting any business except petsmart, but obviously they have the buying clout to keep getting reef crystals.