Reef Keeper

Jewel

I bought a Reef Keeper and have a couple of questions, I've read the instructions on how to program certain things like lights and heaters and timers and it's pretty straight forward but how does it find the specific hardware. I mean lets say I plug in my skimmer to one of the plugs and my return pump into another, How does it know which is which and another question I am setting up a Kalk stirrer I would think that I could set it up so the stirrer would come on every two hours for 15 minutes each time using a timed function. Right      Thanks

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
The outlets should all have a corresponding number in your setup

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Programming is a lot easier with MYREEF, I found that it is best to disconnect your controller from your computer when your finished programming or viewing as the controller goes wonky if the computer goes to sleep. You might want to join the forum as it an be very helpful.

bluewater

+1 on using myreef - I find it's easier to navigate

I actually had trouble updating mine- found I had to move from laptop to desktop.  Perhaps not enough amps provided  :-\

Also I have a tunze set as multi-timer -2 seconds on one off.  This seems like a stupid question, but how do I get it to do that some hours of the day and not all hours of the day ???

cheers

Jewel

I hope my lap top is adequate cause that's all I have, I know about MyReef, I imagine as soon as connect my Controller to my computer it should down load the soft ware and do the updates. I'm gonna get this hooked up on Monday, when it's quiet around here.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Go to DA's web site and download MYREEF, open it and plug your SID (only the SID) into your laptop, wait for it cuz it's a bit slow, your SID should show up in the list, it will show you if it needs to be updated (red), update it if nec, then plug each device into the SID (only 1 at a time) and it should show up in the list and update if nec, after everything is updated connect it all together and plug the system into the SID while connected to the laptop and all devices will show up, click on a device and view/program as required.
The head unit does not have a serial number.
Disconnect the system from the laptop when finished as the controller will go crazy if the laptop goes to sleep or shuts off.

Jewel

Duh, I got it after a few minutes, what can I say? It's early and I'm sick. Any how I went to the Web site and didn't find any place to down load My Reef, Then I checked out the requirements and found that it's not compatible with Windows8, So I'll have to check out another way.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Don't you just love the way technology keeps advancing and making everything better any easier and more user friendly, NOT! :mad:

Jewel

I downloaded it to my wifes computer, I guess I've gotta decide what i'm hooking up and where before I programme it, and where i'm gonna place everything. Lots of fun,

jroovers

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
I downloaded it to my wifes computer, I guess I've gotta decide what i'm hooking up and where before I programme it, and where i'm gonna place everything. Lots of fun,

I've actually found the Reefkeeper pretty easy to use.  I don't use the net module or whatever, I just use the interface.  The manual it comes with is the best place to start, it is actually pretty well written as far as manuals go.

The main thing is to go into your main menu, and set the time.  On a side note, my RK loses time, a few minutes a week anyway (I adjust the time about once a month).  Once you have that, the main thing you need to use is the "Outputs" menu.  Each output will be assigned to the corresponding outlet on your power bars.  So Channel 1 will be the first thing you plug into the bar - they are pretty well labelled and you'll see the lights flashing to indicate what you're working with.  Then you can set the output type - e.g. pump, light, skimmer, etc.  If you set it to light, you can then adjust the start time and the off time.  For skimmer, you can set delay or no delay when the power comes on, and set to standby (i.e. if you hit the standby button, your skimmer turns off for a pre-set amount of time, such as when feeding or dosing SPS foods).  You can then set the output to on, off, or auto - for example, you'll want your lights to be on auto so they go on and off at the time you've set them to.  For things like MJ pumps to drive reactors, don't assign a type and simply leave them as "on".  If you are using the output, it will like be set to auto or on.

For things like dosers, you need to use the "timers" function from the main menu.  I think the RK can store 16.  I've got the first four set to drive my dosers - Timer 1 and Timer 2 is for Alk, and Timer 3 and Timer 4 is for Ca.  Set it for how many minutes you want your device to be on, and then it is set.  Then go back into your output menu, and select the timer you want - assign 1 and 2 to that output (i.e. calcium doser) and then on your next output, assign 3 and 4.  I have mine set so that I dose calcium and alkalinity twice each during a 24-hour period to try and keep things stable.  I think I'm at around 45 minutes for each timer.

In terms of inputs, your temp probe will be the main one.  The manual I think is pretty easy to use to set this up (I'm not in front of my reef at the moment). 

Once you get it up and running, it is pretty awesome.  Definitely one of the best things I got for my tank. 

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Be careful running dosers on the triac circuits, they sometimes don't shut off with low current devices.
I read that plugging the doser into a surge protected power bar and plugging the power bar into the pc4 will correct the problem but it is actually illegal to daisy change power bars in ontario.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Pistol link said:
Be careful running dosers on the triac circuits, they sometimes don't shut off with low current devices.
I read that plugging the doser into a surge protected power bar and plugging the power bar into the pc4 will correct the problem but it is actually illegal to daisy change power bars in ontario.

Interesting, I've never had any issues.  Good to know though.

JordanHurst

there is a full manual on how to use the RKE on the D>A website. i printed it off its like 100 pages. tells you everything down to the tiny details. its PDF on the website. if you dont have that you will have a millon questions. I printed it off and follow it step by step you will avoid any miscommunication. Best thing i have ever bought for my tank, hands down.  STILL havent set up the email alerts yet tho!.. another pain in the ass

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Jewel link said:
I still haven't set mine up, Waiting for the Dosers to arrive. I'm thinking it'll be a pain as well, hope i'm wrong!!!

Your doser is a stand alone doser. Doesn't need a controller. This will free up 2/3 outlets for you to use for other things.