Reef raft

shipwreck

Was in Toronto for training last week so did a trip to the stores. Went to reef raft to find a sign in the door that they have shut down their retail store. They are now a wholesale operation exclusively.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yes I heard this too, BIGSHOW is probably the guy to talk to If your looking for RR stuff

spyd

Super Active Member
Yah, they are sticking to more wholesale now. Saying that, you can all ways contact Jay prior to your trip and he will open the store for you if he knows you're going to spend some money.  ;)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
He has a certain type of customer base that doesn't really need a 9-5 business model. Plus he was the only guy running the place so I don't blame him for not wanting to work everyday.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Was probably the best move for him, since there was so many complaints just like yours for the past few years. I actually think this is better for everyone on the end. Good for him on keeping this going by himself, that's not an easy task I would imagine.

shipwreck

Really wasn't a complaint more of a public service announcement. It had gone downhill of late anyway in my opinion. On a sidenote it seems that other stores have picked up in the area to replace it already anyway

Bayinaung

shipwreck link said:
Really wasn't a complaint more of a public service announcement. It had gone downhill of late anyway in my opinion.
I think it's a brilliant move. there is less access for public, more mystery for their products. they were selling the same frags three years ago for $15. now they charge up to $300, wholesale. more money, less work. who doesn't want to live like that! LMAO.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
not sure on the business dealings with the Reef Raft(s).. but whats the point in selling frags for 300$ in Canada to a select few in Toronto and surrounding area when you can ship them to California and get double that or more with such a bigger market that has already been hyped up for a few years by some wacked out self proclaimed reef gods with their shitty photoshopping skills.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Duke link said:
not sure on the business dealings with the Reef Raft(s).. but whats the point in selling frags for 300$ in Canada to a select few in Toronto and surrounding area when you can ship them to California and get double that or more with such a bigger market that has already been hyped up for a few years by some wacked out self proclaimed reef gods with their shitty photoshopping skills.

From a marketing standpoint it makes a little bit of sense to me.  He sells "cheap" to local guys, who can then hype it up on the fourms (and they do, even I have been guilty of this).  The guys that originally get the piece can help keep the hype and help validate the coral.  There are a lot of sketpics out there, so anytime you can have other people (customers) vouch for your coral the more sales you will get.  People don't trust vendors as much as they trust hobbyists.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Duke link said:

I for one am glad still that RR Canada does allow higher end collectors to still purchase their high end frags.....
Jay has always been fair and honest with me.....
Although I would never want to speak on RR Canada's behalf but I think he still wants to help out the locals and keep a good reputation locally. You can't go blaming RR Canada for charging prices that the market has seemed to deem fair for high end stuff..... I believe they used to sell high end frags for even cheaper locally when the market was much slower here but now that it has picked up a bit then yes the price has also....I'm sure they could easily choose to only sell to the highest bidders but fortunately they do offer reduced pricing to those locally looking to drop a bit of $$$
Anyone who has been to RR Canada and seen their amazing collection will tell you that it is world class corals that come into that store.....they honestly do not need to saturate their pics or hype up their own corals.....looks like there is enough other vendors/companies doing that for them! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Reef Hero link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=7766.msg82679#msg82679 date=1393017908]

I for one am glad still that RR Canada does allow higher end collectors to still purchase their high end frags.....
Although I would never want to speak on RR Canada's behalf but I think he still wants to help out the locals and keep a good reputation locally. You can't go blaming RR Canada for charging prices that the market has seemed to deem fair for high end stuff..... I believe they used to sell high end frags for even cheaper locally when the market was much slower here but now that it has picked up a bit then yes the price has also....I'm sure they could easily choose to only sell to the highest bidders but fortunately they do offer reduced pricing to those locally looking to drop a bit of $$$
Anyone who has been to RR Canada and seen their amazing collection will tell you that it is world class corals that come into that store.....they honestly do not need to saturate their pics or hype up their own corals.....looks like there is enough other vendors/companies doing that for them! ;)

[/quote]

I agree with most of what you said Ben.  I have no issues with the pricing.  Price is what people want to pay, and RR does have some of the best corals out there, there is no doubting that.  I do disagree with you about the hype comment, especially for the guys in the USA (not for us guys who have seen some of these beauties).  There is a TONNE of skepticism out there and having hobbyists post photos and vouch for your corals is needed to get the high prices, maybe not to people who have bought these high end pieces, but it is for the new collectors out there.  I don't see hype as a bad thing.  To me hype is marketing, good or bad.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Here are some photos I took of some of Jay's newest pieces for my customers.  I don't trust others photos, so I like to take my own :)

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

IMG_5740.jpg

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=7766.msg82685#msg82685 date=1393019021]

[quote author=Duke link=topic=7766.msg82679#msg82679 date=1393017908]

[/quote]

I agree with most of what you said Ben.  I have no issues with the pricing.  Price is what people want to pay, and RR does have some of the best corals out there, there is no doubting that.  I do disagree with you about the hype comment, especially for the guys in the USA (not for us guys who have seen some of these beauties).  There is a TONNE of skepticism out there and having hobbyists post photos and vouch for your corals is needed to get the high prices, maybe not to people who have bought these high end pieces, but it is for the new collectors out there.  I don't see hype as a bad thing.  To me hype is marketing, good or bad.
[/quote]

I think that the hobbyists are going to validate the actual growth, rareness, etc of the corals....I'm not sure if I would actually consider this hype. Hype is what usually comes from the vendors, saturated pics, or ppl wanting the coral or complaining about the price,etc....
It's obvious that there were little to zero hobbyists validating the actual JD in the USA and yet the hype there is what caused the JD to sell for $1200.....
When I talk about or post pics (soon, I promise) of the JD I don't feel like I am hyping up the coral but rather validating its rarity, beauty, and growth....
I could easily speak negative about the JD or any other high end coral for that matter so for RR to go out on a limb and sell to true hobbyists that will truthfully validate the coral for them and others it is definitely a risk that RR is taking also....

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
flave_eyes1.gif

:popcorn2:

I am not one to "believe the hype," as I have seen first hand, many "common sps" that truly look amazing under the right conditions and personally cannot justify the crazy price collectors will pay for the next hyped up coral. It is a business and it is what it is so that all those involved can make some money. There is nothing wrong with making money,and if people are willing over to fork over the cash then its good for everyone. I try not to get to crazy about the latest and greatest, when all I need to do is look at what I already have. ;)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=7766.msg82695#msg82695 date=1393020952]
hardly anything at RR is rare..

Please explain.....

[/quote]

everything is wild.. multiple colonies are imported all the time.. so they definitively aren't rare...

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Duke link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=7766.msg82696#msg82696 date=1393021217]

Please explain.....

[/quote]

everything is wild.. multiple colonies are imported all the time.. so they definitively aren't rare...
[/quote]

…case in point, I just saw a pic of "Aaron's Rediculously Reasonably Priced Acro Plana" from jroovers. If this was in the RR vault, you could assume this would be a Rare Limited Edition Piece add another "0" to the original $60 price tag… :eek: :eek:

12683104284_77e21236f5_b.jpg

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=7766.msg82702#msg82702 date=1393022239]
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=7766.msg82696#msg82696 date=1393021217]

Please explain.....

[/quote]

[/quote]

…case in point, I just saw a pic of "Aaron's Rediculously Reasonably Priced Acro Plana" from jroovers. If this was in the RR vault, you could assume this would be a Rare Limited Edition Piece add another "0" to the original $60 price tag… :eek: :eek:

12683104284_77e21236f5_b.jpg

[/quote]

Hmmm.... I'm not sure if I totally agree.....this Plana appears to be the exact as the Crayola.... I'm not trying to say it isn't a sweet piece but for me I look past the RR name tag to the actual coral itself..... In this case I would never consider this to be a rare seen coral in our hobby.....the same would apply to many RR pieces....however, when talking about some RR pieces such as JD, BA, Avengers, OP, etc....I would consider those pieces very rarely seen.
Again, take for example my Tricolour or any similar looking Tricolour....very nice coral!!! Is it rare? No, it's not and therefore the price is adjusted accordingly.... It is the rarity of the coral that sets the price for me, not the name tag....I have passed on many well named and RR named corals because they are not rare IMO.