Reef Supplies.ca

Kman

Super Active Member
I have used them and they usually have good prices and ship quickly. I normally got mine within 3 days.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I love this company (same as goreef). I use them whenever I need something that I can't find locally and don't want to use an American online store (*cough*BRS*cough*). Their prices are good, shipping is fast and cheap and the customer service is great. I have had the out of stock experience a couple times but I know that they always ship same day if they have something in stock.... so if I notice that the order is still pending after a couple days, I shoot Ray a message and he always resolves the issue quickly either by cancelling the order or giving me a partial refund for the out of stock item and proceeding with the rest of the order.

NateR

I've always had great luck with them. I made my order on a Tuesday and got the package by Thursday morning with no problems. They're a great alternative to the US, especially with the dollar being so high..

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I placed a sizeable order with express shipping on items listed as in stock from them. I have nothing but issues and now am having a miserable experience with their customer service. I certainly would never order from there again.

I didn't know it was the same shop as GoReef, I had issues ordering an in-stock item there a few months ago.

Last edited:

100gallon

I have placed orders twice with them...both times I have had issues...however both times I have expressed dismay with the issues and they have come through both times...so six in one half a dozen in the other....

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Skim

Hi bart84 I don't know if you found out your answer to your question, but how it works is you get points for whatever your order was worth before Tx. If and when you order again you can use your points towards your purchase at a rate of 150 points = $1.00 and you have to use them up before a year passes. Its not much but its something. Hope this helps.

Skim

SamB

Super Active Member
Sorry to hear about your issues David Caplan - I'm sure that the problems that you are encountering must be irritating. I think that I have placed 10 + orders with reef supplies.ca and I have never had any issues. When I ordered my live fish from them, they called me that day to check how it was doing - they were actually tracking it for me from their end. I call that service !

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Sorry to hear about your issues David Caplan - I'm sure that the problems that you are encountering must be irritating. I think that I have placed 10 + orders with reef supplies.ca and I have never had any issues. When I ordered my live fish from them, they called me that day to check how it was doing - they were actually tracking it for me from their end. I call that service !

They no longer do livestock. Too many complaints I was told.

I think they have grown too quickly and customer service is taking an impact from the growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
My first order, on GoReef, I ordered an item listed as in-stock and was told it would not be coming in for a while. It took me a couple e-mails and finally a call to get my refund.

My order from ReefSupplies, just a couple weeks ago, I ordered only items listed as in stock with express shipping, the bulk of my order being a skimmer (mine broke) and reactor. The package showed up and there was no skimmer, and a note on the invoice that it had been back-ordered.

The reactor arrived extremely damaged; the bracket that held it was snapped in half, and the pump was broken in a few places, cracked and had epoxy/glue all over it. When I contacted the store they were very good and sent a new reactor immediately, and told me the skimmer would be a couple days. The new reactor arrived and again had some parts that looked strange, and was quite misaligned in a few places. I took very clear macro photos of the parts and sent them to the store and the manufacturer. The store asked me to send back both for them to inspect, then I could decide if I wanted another one or a refund. After contacting the manufacturer to find out if this was the normal build, and if I should refund it or try a 3rd reactor, their warranty department determined that they were manufacturer defects (a bad lot), they told me to keep one and return the other, and they would send me proper replacement parts. It seems ReefSupplies wasn't happy that I spoke to the manufacturer instead of them, and after a week of waiting I had to ask a couple times to find out that there was no real date on their shipment of skimmers (despite their assurances of a couple days right after I made the order).

After having ordered it from another store, and asking ReefSupplies twice for a refund on just the skimmer that was never sent, they flat out refused the refund on the more expensive skimmer until they received the damaged reactor they sent me, despite having so much of my money and me having no functional equipment. I was not even asking for a refund or replacement on the reactor.

Last edited:

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I've used them but mostly goreef as it seems to ship quicker, my only issues is with out of stock items, they just hold the order and don't notify you so you end up waiting and waiting and waiting. I have never seen where it says they have stock or not though, that's always been a peev of mine with them.

just my 2 cents I've been using J&L aquatics for over 7 years now for everything from t5 and halide bulbs to parts pumps. everything and never a problem. They always keep me informed of my orders shipped items are amazingly packed and shipping is quick price cant be beat . one time wave maker was damaged and box was crushed they replaced pump within 5 days even though damage was obviously postal service.

Nighthawk26

Flip a coin. Could be good. Could be bad. As mentioned above, out of stock items when they say they are in stock. Called me once knowing I needed it next day after delays saying parts of order are missing. What do I want to do. Wait or ship whats avail? Literally with 10 minutes to tell them because it was about to ship. I don't know how big this place has grown to be, but they clearly have no issues losing a customer.

Last straw for me was today. I added items to the second part of an order that was to ship yesterday. I was late getting the new items to them, so instead of calling me, they just didn't bother to even ship what I had been waiting over a week for. Then blamed me for telling them too late about the additions! As thought that indemnifies them from sending what was still to be sent in the first place.

So I tell them fine, send expresspost so I have it Monday. THey promptly create the pick up with canada post today in the AM. I get the notification, they have shipped it standard. They KNEW I was leaving the Country Tuesday, yet shipped like that anyways. I email asking what they were thinking. Tells me I didn't pay for expresspost. I chose standard. I have one order from them before. Shipped expresspost. I told them I needed next day which would be expresspost this time, he takes my order, I see NO option to choose any delivery method. Just says Shipping. How would I know. His response to me is last time they shipped expresspost was a courtesy. How would I EVER KNOW this? Andd when I said I needed it next day and I'm leaving country, at what point do you think he would correct me? Basically he went through his motions and nothing more.

I will never order form them agian.

My last attempted order was for Zeovit stuff. Said it was in stock. 5 days later, nothing has come. I email. They tell me it's not in stock. Of course their supplier shorted them. Conveniently this was the exact explanation for missing items this time. I email JL aquatics, they have it and ship it. I get it. 2 days after that Reefsupplies is messaging me saying they now have it. Sorry boys, late to the party again.

I'll skip the BS from now on, and order form JL.

Reef Supplies

Hello everyone,

My name is Ray Franchi, I am one of the owners of reefsupplies.ca (and Goreef.com). Most of you here have dealt with me, some have dealt with my partner, Giovanni Lombardi. He is also an owner.

I’d like to start off with a BIG THANK you to those who have had kind words for us. Also, thank you to everyone for your continued support. Thank you for your business and trusting us with your reefing needs.

We run a business and sometimes run into snags. There is no true business without issues, they are inevitable. What makes a business great is how the issue is dealt with.

We do everything we can to ensure you, our clients, get the best possible service we can give you. Sometimes our best is not enough, I can understand that. It happens to the best of us.

Stock levels:

We stock over ¼ of a million dollars of reef equipment at any given time and any given season. Our website, for the most part, is up-to date. Does it happen that it’s wrong, yes. Sometimes items slip through the cracks and they do not get updated online. For example, if we have an RMA request and we send the last item to a client under warranty, the site needs to be manually updated. It sometimes does not happen, human error. Only once we receive that new item will we notice that the update was not done.

Does it happen often, NO! We ship over 20-25 orders per day and the amount of "stock level order issues" is less than 1 per week. The client is advised no matter what. You ALWAYS have the choice of a refund, a split ship….your choice.

Our on-line stock notices are as follow:

Availability : Usually ships the next business day. <---Usually in stock. But like I said, poop happens sometimes.
Availability : Usually ships between 2-8 business days. <--- En route to arrive from supplier. Shipments arrive every Thursday between 2 and 4pm.
Availability : Backorder. Usually ships in 2-6 weeks. <--- B/O from manufacturer or supplier

Shipping damages:

It happens. We ship, on average, 150 orders per week. We see bout 2—3 claims per month. That’s a heck of a great track record if you ask me. We make sure our guys pack the crap out of them.

As for refunds and replacements BEFORE we get ours back. That is not likely to happen. Do not take it in the wrong way but we do not know you. We will not ship you a second $300 skimmer unless we get the broken one back first. All shipping damages are dealt with swiftly.
To sum it up. We do what we can to make sure you keep buying from us. This is our life, we feed our families with this hobby that we all love. We will do what it takes to make sure we keep you happy. We love this job and love our clients. We have been in this business for the better part of 4 years and I can honestly say that I have not “worked” since!

The one thing to keep in mind is yes, we bend over backwards for our clients. What we won’t do is bend over frontwards. More on this later….

Flip a coin. Could be good. Could be bad. As mentioned above, out of stock items when they say they are in stock. Called me once knowing I needed it next day after delays saying parts of order are missing. What do I want to do. Wait or ship what's avail? Literally with 10 minutes to tell them because it was about to ship. I don't know how big this place has grown to be, but they clearly have no issues losing a customer.

Last straw for me was today. I added items to the second part of an order that was to ship yesterday. I was late getting the new items to them, so instead of calling me, they just didn't bother to even ship what I had been waiting over a week for. Then blamed me for telling them too late about the additions! As thought that indemnifies them from sending what was still to be sent in the first place.

So I tell them fine, send expresspost so I have it Monday. THey promptly create the pick up with canada post today in the AM. I get the notification, they have shipped it standard. They KNEW I was leaving the Country Tuesday, yet shipped like that anyways. I email asking what they were thinking. Tells me I didn't pay for expresspost. I chose standard. I have one order from them before. Shipped expresspost. I told them I needed next day which would be expresspost this time, he takes my order, I see NO option to choose any delivery method. Just says Shipping. How would I know. His response to me is last time they shipped expresspost was a courtesy. How would I EVER KNOW this? Andd when I said I needed it next day and I'm leaving country, at what point do you think he would correct me? Basically he went through his motions and nothing more.
I will never order form them agian.

My last attempted order was for Zeovit stuff. Said it was in stock. 5 days later, nothing has come. I email. They tell me it's not in stock. Of course their supplier shorted them. Conveniently this was the exact explanation for missing items this time. I email JL aquatics, they have it and ship it. I get it. 2 days after that Reefsupplies is messaging me saying they now have it. Sorry boys, late to the party again. .

Hi Mike,

Our first issue together started with that Zeovit order that you had made for yourself and your friend. The order was right around $500. The only item missing was the CV 100ML. It was clearly marked as 2-8 days. We called you to offer to downgrade you to 50ML, you chose to delete and refund the whole order instead.

Non issue, you are the client and it’s your right. You were swiftly refunded.

To reply to you comment above “2 days after that Reefsupplies is messaging me saying they now have it.” Correct, we received it 2 days after just like the site said we would.

Two weeks ago, when I was away, you were emailing Giovanni all week asking if this was in stock, if that was in stock…ect, ect. Giovanni kept referring you to the website, all you had to do was look on the site and place your order if the items were in stock.

It’s fine, I get that you want to call / email first. It’s your right to make sure ahead of time. It has happened where you email us on a Monday asking about a product that you then order on a Thursday and its no longer in stock, right? I think it was a hydor? It happens, we do sell out from time to time :)

When you ordered that $1000+ order Giovanni told you that the ALD and the Red Sea refracto was not in stock (as the website stated). The order was placed on July 14 and he told you that the ALD and Refracto we arriving the following Thursday, the 23rd. As they did. They arrived at right around 3PM. He told you that he would TRY to get it shipped Thursday but that unfortunately did not happen. Time did not permit.

You emailed us extremely upset and frustrated because the ALD / refracto did not ship with the existing order that was yet to be PAID. Here we are Thursday at 3PM where you are yelling at me via email that we are incompetent and how JL is the best thing since sliced bread. Not for one second did you stop and think that you have yet to even pay the order. The order was placed Thursday morning, you email me at 3PM and expect us to drop everything, ignore all other clients, take you payment, box the order and ship for 3:30. Hey, we’re good, but not that good!

Then went when off that the last time we shipped at 4PM. Mike, the last time Giovanni shipped Fedex EXPRESS for FREE. They pick up at 4:15. Im not sure why you got free express but that is against our policies. Its not fair to our other clients. Even if we were to give you free express again (we would have not), you still would not have made the 4:15 cut off. It was an impossible request.

As requested, we went ahead and deleted your orders because you said you were taking your business elsewhere.

The next morning, Friday. We see that you placed the order and paid for it online. By 2PM Friday we had boxed and shipped the order. I approved that you get upgraded to expedited for FREE. We did that to try to help the situation.

An hour after we ship we get yet another email from you once again saying stuff like this would never happen at our competitors. I had no idea WTF was going on at this point. After a couple of emails I realized that you expected FREE EXPRESS yet again because we mistakenly shipped express the first time.

Mike, we DO NOT ship express overnight for free. This is an absurd request. Had you wanted it shipped express, all you had to do was mention it in the comments at checkout. We would have billed you for and you would have received your package Monday. No one does free overnight.

Your last email stated you are leaving the country and there is no one there to accept the package and that you are done with us. In sorry it turned out like this Mike. I am truly sorry.

As I said above, we bend over backwards for our clients but we will not bend over frontwards. All requests have to be reasonable.

You will be happy to know that I managed to have the package returned to sender. Since you request not to have a signature, we both don’t want a $500 order to sit on your doorstep for a week. We will refund you in full once we get it back.

Sorry for the long ready guys.

Best regards,
Ray

Last edited:

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Hello everyone,

My name is Ray Franchi, I am one of the owners of reefsupplies.ca (and Goreef.com). Most of you here have dealt with me, some have dealt with my partner, Giovanni Lombardi. He is also an owner.

I’d like to start off with a BIG THANK you to those who have had kind words for us. Also, thank you to everyone for your continued support. Thank you for your business and trusting us with your reefing needs.

We run a business and sometimes run into snags. There is no true business without issues, they are inevitable. What makes a business great is how the issue is dealt with.

We do everything we can to ensure you, our clients, get the best possible service we can give you. Sometimes our best is not enough, I can understand that. It happens to the best of us.

Stock levels:

We stock over ¼ of a million dollars of reef equipment at any given time and any given season. Our website, for the most part, is up-to date. Does it happen that it’s wrong, yes. Sometimes items slip through the cracks and they do not get updated online. For example, if we have an RMA request and we send the last item to a client under warranty, the site needs to be manually updated. It sometimes does not happen, human error. Only once we receive that new item will we notice that the update was not done.

Does it happen often, NO! We ship over 20-25 orders per day and the amount of "stock level order issues" is less than 1 per week. The client is advised no matter what. You ALWAYS have the choice of a refund, a split ship….your choice.

Availability : Usually ships the next business day. <---Usually in stock. But like I said, poop happens sometimes.
Availability : Usually ships between 2-8 business days. <--- En route to arrive from supplier. Shipments arrive every Thursday between 2 and 4pm.
Availability : Backorder. Usually ships in 2-6 weeks. <--- B/O from manufacturer or supplier

Shipping damages:

It happens. We ship, on average, 150 orders per week. We see bout 2—3 claims per month. That’s a heck of a great track record if you ask me. We make sure our guys pack the crap out of them.

As for refunds and replacements BEFORE we get ours back. That is not likely to happen. Do not take it in the wrong way but we do not know you. We will not ship you a second $300 skimmer unless we get the broken one back first. All shipping damages are dealt with swiftly.
To sum it up. We do what we can to make sure you keep buying from us. This is our life, we feed our families with this hobby that we all love. We will do what it takes to make sure we keep you happy. We love this job and love our clients. We have been in this business for the better part of 4 years and I can honestly say that I have not “worked” since!

The one thing to keep in mind is yes, we bend over backwards for our clients. What we won’t do is bend over frontwards. More on this later….

Hi Mike,

Our first issue together started with that Zeovit order that you had made for yourself and your friend. The order was right around $500. The only item missing was the CV 100ML. It was clearly marked as 2-8 days. We called you to offer to downgrade you to 50ML, you chose to delete and refund the whole order instead.

To reply to you comment above “2 days after that Reefsupplies is messaging me saying they now have it.” Correct, we received it 2 days after just like the site said we would.

Two weeks ago, when I was away, you were emailing Giovanni all week asking if this was in stock, if that was in stock…ect, ect. Giovanni kept referring you to the website, all you had to do was look on the site and place your order if the items were in stock.

It’s fine, I get that you want to call / email first. It’s your right to make sure ahead of time. It has happened where you email us on a Monday asking about a product that you then order on a Thursday and its no longer in stock, right? I think it was a hydor? It happens, we do sell out from time to time :)

When you ordered that $1000+ order Giovanni told you that the ALD and the Red Sea refracto was not in stock (as the website stated). The order was placed on July 14 and he told you that the ALD and Refracto we arriving the following Thursday, the 23rd. As they did. They arrived at right around 3PM. He told you that he would TRY to get it shipped Thursday but that unfortunately did not happen. Time did not permit.

You emailed us extremely upset and frustrated because the ALD / refracto did not ship with the existing order that was yet to be PAID. Here we are Thursday at 3PM where you are yelling at me via email that we are incompetent and how JL is the best thing since sliced bread. Not for one second did you stop and think that you have yet to even pay the order. The order was placed Thursday morning, you email me at 3PM and expect us to drop everything, ignore all other clients, take you payment, box the order and ship for 3:30. Hey, we’re good, but not that good!

Then went when off that the last time we shipped at 4PM. Mike, the last time Giovanni shipped Fedex EXPRESS for FREE. They pick up at 4:15. Im not sure why you got free express but that is against our policies. Its not fair to our other clients. Even if we were to give you free express again (we would have not), you still would not have made the 4:15 cut off. It was an impossible request.

As requested, we went ahead and deleted your orders because you said you were taking your business elsewhere.

The next morning, Friday. We see that you placed the order and paid for it online. By 2PM Friday we had boxed and shipped the order. I approved that you get upgraded to expedited for FREE. We did that to try to help the situation.

An hour after we ship we get yet another email from you once again saying stuff like this would never happen at our competitors. I had no idea WTF was going on at this point. After a couple of emails I realized that you expected FREE EXPRESS yet again because we mistakenly shipped express the first time.

Mike, we DO NOT ship express overnight for free. This is an absurd request. Had you wanted it shipped express, all you had to do was mention it in the comments at checkout. We would have billed you for and you would have received your package Monday. No one does free overnight.

Your last email stated you are leaving the country and there is no one there to accept the package and that you are done with us. In sorry it turned out like this Mike. I am truly sorry.

As I said above, we bend over backwards for our clients but we will not bend over frontwards. All requests have to be reasonable.

You will be happy to know that I managed to have the package returned to sender. Since you request not to have a signature, we both don’t want a $500 order to sit on your doorstep for a week. We will refund you in full once we get it back.

Best regards,
Ray
Hi Ray
I have purchased from Goreef many times over the years and am very happy with the service.
I was in the service industry for many years as an owner operator and learned 3 things.
1) You can't make everybody happy, some people strive to be miserable.
2) The customer is not always right, I threw a couple of them right out the door.
3) CRAP HAPPENS, that why they sell toilet paper in 48 roll packs.
Have a great day!
Cal

RWH

Hi Ray!
I have placed a number of orders with you folks and have been totally satisifed with the service and the products.
You are also very timely in your responses to any email inquiries I have had.
I also echo Pistol's comments!
Cheers!
...Rick

heath

Distinguished Member
I totally agree, Ray has gone above and beyond helping me to purchase the right things that I needed, especially when I was doing the plumbing on the new tank..I love the comments from Pistol and totally agree, you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time :D

Nighthawk26

I will spare a long rant here, but leave one piece of advice seeing as you were so careful to point out certain parts of the story, but not others.

- "Thanks" for the pull back on the order. No email to me to indicate this of course. I'm reading about it here for the first time.

- I did say in the comment box to send with NO signature. I have a community lock mailbox. I was clear to say that too. It would be left within a larger box to which I would only have the key. I indicated this after the last shipment came like this, and emphasized it in the comment box. I could happily share this with anyone. Or you could just look yourself.

- As I stated in these emails, NO where does it say how you ship. How would I know. I received one order from you before and it came expresspost. I didn't ask for it, nor was I told anyone was doing me a favor. I had never even expressed urgency on that order. Yes you did offer to refund or split the shipment, but I ordered the day before and at 4pm you're calling me asking for an immediate answer what I want. So please don't try to imply I expected special treatment, or conveniently suggest on here that I should be put in front of any other person.

- When you have a business partner, perhaps you should communicate with them when it comes to customers. Especially when you are aware some things have gone a little sideways. Giovanni was also well aware that I placed an order, and knowing it was being sent Friday was clear to say It needs to be here Monday. I suspect no red lights went off in anyone's head there that my expectations were not accurate? Should I post that email too? Or perhaps consider this point and ask him yourself. At the time, I didn't know he had JUST gone on holiday.

- You write me an email and say here I should have indicated I needed expresspost. You actually said I "selected standard delivery". I'm sorry, you don't offer an option. Guess I was supposed to magically know how you run your business.

There are a whole pile of other inconsistencies in your reply to me, but I won't even bother getting into it. You just sat back, knowing how you guys do things, and expect the customer to know this process.

My first statement in my original post is 100% accurate. My first order that went through with you was fantastic. Something went wrong, someone called, I was in the loop and knew what to expect. A+, no question. The second order, totally different story. In my business, if I know something hasn't quite gone right, I am 100% sure to make sure I follow through with my client to make sure everyone is on the same page. To your point, we share a similar motto. Things will go wrong in business, no doubt. What is the true test is how we step up and make things right going forward. Unfortunately, your last step up, literally demonstrated the opposite, that you never even bothered to read the comments, that Giovanni specifically made sure to tell me to make, and LITERALLY pulled back an order I was expecting Friday, then Monday, then when I get back, to your being returned to sender.

This doesn't need to be continued in a public forum. Should you choose to address this situation you are welcome to email, or call. I'm always open to communication.

Hello everyone,

Stock levels:

Shipping damages:

Hi Mike,

Best regards,
Ray

Nighthawk26

I've used them but mostly goreef as it seems to ship quicker, my only issues is with out of stock items, they just hold the order and don't notify you so you end up waiting and waiting and waiting. I have never seen where it says they have stock or not though, that's always been a peev of mine with them.

I had the same issue. Which was my issue with the Zeovit order. From the main pages, I just added to the cart. There is no indication like you mentioned. Which was why I was frustrated 4 days later when nothing had arrived, and I hadn't gotten any email with an explanation. My cc was charged though. Ray told me it does show inventory levels as he indicated in his above post. What I didn't know, and clearly am not the only one is that it shows when you actually click on the specific item description. There is will indicate in stock, shipping in 2-8 days, etc, etc. Again, I've never seen a site like this, but was expected to know. Most sites will show in the check out. Now that I know, I check. My emails beyond that to confirm stock were on items I needed more than 1 of.