Rotifers And Phyto

Got my new batch of phytoplankton yesterday...old cultures are about 4 years old and I thought it was time to reseed my cultures ....kinda pricey though at $88 but I can culture these for years now .. this time I purchased 2 different kinds
tetraselmis which is motile and also nannochloris which is non motile
my plan is to culture both kinds separate and a third one a mix of the two.
also purchased a rotifer culture (zooplankton)

DSCN2903.JPG

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
how hard is it first hand to culture these i have wanted to try for a while but dont want a $100 stinky barrel to be tossed down drain when i mess up lol... should make a thread on your process :)

how hard is it first hand to culture these i have wanted to try for a while but dont want a $100 stinky barrel to be tossed down drain when i mess up lol... should make a thread on your process :)
I'm going to make a progress thread... and you don't need $100 to do it i just wanted new strains and sizes the nannochloris phyto is 1.5 to 2.5 um and the tetraselmis is bigger at 10 to 14 un ......and all u need is a gallon jug air line air pump and a lite. oh ya and a and to start all you need is a cup from an running culture and I just take 50-60% out and add new water once a week.

ok soaked first culture disk in sterilized 1.014 water for 24 hours now placing into gallon jug but I only use I liter ro/di and uv sterilized water.Salinity kept at 1.014 and 24 hour lighting and fed HUFA's . I do not use fertilizers. miracle grow or algae grow they can cause problems in the display down the road, HUFA's don't affect water
DSCN2907.JPG
DSCN2908.JPG
DSCN2909.JPG

SamB

Super Active Member
Definitely would be interested in starter culture !
Following along ...

Kman

Super Active Member
One of the biggest reasons that people fail at their cultures is salinity swing when the water evaporates or they have to powerful aeration. The cultures don't like salinity swings at all and to much aeration causes them to froth and break the cell walls. It is good to top up daily the water to help prevent salinity swings and keep your airation gentle. Another cause of death is not using sterilized water to start the culture or fresh water for top up. If you don't use sterilized water you run the rish of getting a pathogen or parasite in the water and can crash or eat your cultures. You also need to clean your containers properly before use and if you reuse them.

Valleygirl-123

How long do you figure that it will be before you have starter cultures available? I have a pair of clowns that just unexpectedly spawned, and while I don't think that I can possibly have rotifers ready for when the fry hatch, I'd like to be prepared going forward.

SamB

Super Active Member
How long do you figure that it will be before you have starter cultures available? I have a pair of clowns that just unexpectedly spawned, and while I don't think that I can possibly have rotifers ready for when the fry hatch, I'd like to be prepared going forward.
Hey Girl there is a company in Toronto called reef Aquatica who grows and sells rotifers and other live foods for clown fry, mandarins, seahorses etc
Great source for all live foods !
I live in Toronto but travel your direction every week
If I can help out please let me know - I'm not sure if reef Aquatica ships or not
Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Valleygirl-123

Hey Girl there is a company in Toronto called reef Aquatica who grows and sells rotifers and other love foods for clown fry
Great source for all live foods !
I live in Toronto but travel your direction every week
If I can help out please let me know - I'm not sure if reef Aquatica ships or not
Sam

Thanks for the heads up Sam! I will look them up right now. I greatly appreciate your offer for transport, and might take you up on it if I can't get to T.O. in the next day or two.

Jen

well might have some bad news.... we think the cultures we had shipped to us might have froze... the heat packs where cold and it took an extra day to get here .... first culture didn't grow at all going to start second culture today... have not started rotifers yet and need green water to feed them going to reorder as weather warms a bit