Sand

monizb

Super Active Member
Hey guys so I’m getting back in to the reef side of things and I’m excited :) what’s everyone’s thoughts on reusing aquarium sand ? Am I better off buying new sand ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Depends , if it’s the nice stuff and lot of it is rinse and dry it (but you’ll need hot weather to dry faster) but if you got the $$ IMO buy new

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
meh, we arent all made of money @Salty Cracker , ive rinsed old sand plenty of times until the water is clear and then strain it out.

and what the heck is 'new' sand? you mean sand from the store that someone else cleaned? lol pfff

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
It's not the sand, it's the phosphates. Depending on what the "sand" is, it could be chock full of toxins and phosphate. You can't wash that out under the sink, and for god's sake, what is a bag of aggregate, $30?

it will be $1000 fixing all the issues IN the tank if the substrate is bad. When I emptied my old 125, the sand was so disgusting it went out in biohazard bags, I used one scoop of it to jumpstart the new tank, and I know that 'sand' was phosphate free. Still wasn't worth the risk.

Now if it's just sand, like sugar sand, well I don't think much can stick to glass, but not a lot of people use just sand in their tanks, it blows around too easy.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
It's not the sand, it's the phosphates. Depending on what the "sand" is, it could be chock full of toxins and phosphate. You can't wash that out under the sink, and for god's sake, what is a bag of aggregate, $30?

it will be $1000 fixing all the issues IN the tank if the substrate is bad. When I emptied my old 125, the sand was so disgusting it went out in biohazard bags, I used one scoop of it to jumpstart the new tank, and I know that 'sand' was phosphate free. Still wasn't worth the risk.

Now if it's just sand, like sugar sand, well I don't think much can stick to glass, but not a lot of people use just sand in their tanks, it blows around too easy.

you are overthinking this, i promise you

If your aiming for a high-end 0 nutrient SPS setup, then sure

But most people, with a regular mixed reef setup, it isnt going to hurt a thing.

I honestly dont think i have EVER bought new sand in 10 years of doing this.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
you are overthinking this, i promise you

If your aiming for a high-end 0 nutrient SPS setup, then sure

But most people, with a regular mixed reef setup, it isnt going to hurt a thing.

I honestly dont think i have EVER bought new sand in 10 years of doing this.

Heh, well don't take this wrong, but I still have the exact same colonies, alive and well, that I started with 15 years ago, so I'll stick with my way of doing things.

Need any frags? ;)

Got any 50 acre parcels of land with absolutely no neighbours for miles around for sale?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
You know, I'm just all done with arguing with people. In everything. All we do as a species is argue, and if we all don't have the same opinions, someone gets upset, dogs and cats start living together, etc etc.

So I'm hesitant to argue. All I can say is that I run an ULN tank, BUT I have a DSB and pellets, so does that act as a nutrient buffer, perhaps, but I haven't had an unexplained crash or die-off since I switched from just letting nutrients do their own thing, to running a hard core GFO regimen, along with regular substrate vac sessions (along with carbon).

SO what I'm saying is that hey, maybe some people CAN run a tank with mid to high nutrients, and for sure, softies do better with higher nutrients, but sps can flourish with almost nothing in the water column (well besides trace elements etc). I just know that -for myself- I would never go back to the problems I had with high nutrients. In fact that last major pest I had was dinos, and that was a few years ago now, and it was at the tail end of a string of tank crashes and failures, I think I had 3 almost total crashes in ~20+ years of this, and 0 since I went to ULN. If I do water chages, the corals just take off (sps).

So I guess I didn't want to make a big deal out of this one, since I don't run a bare-bottom setup with absolute 0 nutrients or buffer, I have 4 inches of substrate, and it's not definitive. BUT I think (in my head), that nutrients cause way more problems in a closed biosphere like a fishtank, than trying for ULN and just doing regular or spot feeding of fish and/or coral. But even look at using old liverock in a new system. There's at least one thread on here right now about algae explosions off liverock during cycles. That's because the old liverock is chuck full of phosphates, and they're leeching into the water column, and algae has something to feed on. On this new build, I used old rock from my old ULN system (.34 Parts per billion Po4 when I shut down the old one), and some new rock I picked up, and the "new" rock looked like hairy bowling balls, while my old rock stayed white until coral started growing. To me, it's proof that a "clean" system is going to inherently have less problems than a dirty one.

Josh

There is no "magic do this method" in this hobby and anyone that is trying to sell you a cookie cutter setup probably hasnt thought that every system is unique. Is high GFO low nutrients a great option for sps tanks.... yes.... it is... Add in a mixed or soft reef and you may run into issues with bacteria blooms and dying soft coral.

I think its important for people to read everyones success and failures... 1 method might work for someone and that method may not work for someone else. Ignoring all the other options to me is silly.

I personally run 1 of each of these tanks. I have a high GFO system with ULN and then i have a tank where i dose nitrate and keep things measureable.

1 legit question i have for you salty that ive always wanted to ask.... have you ever kept soft coral running this type of method? Im genuinely curious... I had a very hard time personally.

Saturated rock is a real problem though...... I am in the process of making changes on my frag tank and built some new rockwork for a centre piece. That rock is currently sitting in a tank soaking in liverock enhance which is a bacteria curing agent. The idea is to let the bacteria get into the rock for a week then to toss the water and run gfo on the rock for another week or two to make sure i get as much of the po4 out of the rock as i can. It took a long time in my display to stop growing algae.

I personally suspect this is why so many new tanks have problems with the non algae "algae" like dinos and cyano. The tanks being new arent creating the nitrates that an older tank does but are generally high on phosphate from the rock/salt. Over time i believe these numbers start floating towards what they should be and thats when all the "nasties" start to go away.

Seasquirt

I say buy new sand uf yiu can afford it, yup 30 bucks a bag is pretty cheap when you consider that we are buying 100 Hawkfish but I'd have to buy 4 or 5, i think rinse it well until clear, dry it out. I think drying us the key.

Can po4 saturate sand? And
Its ok to voice your opinions, i want to hear what makes your tanks succesful.
Please,please don't think of it as argueing, it's your opinions of your success and thank you for sharing. Enjoy another wintery day in SW ontario, be safe

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have mixed luck with softies for sure. mushrooms or leathers won't make it in my system, lps is touch and go, but sps just keeps going.

My first tank was nothing but leathers, mushrooms, "bonus anenomes", xenia and frogspawn....OH and of course slime, hair and bubble algae. It was gross. It's hilarious to think how thrilled I was to see my fist "free" aiptasia start to grow...then another, wooooo and then another!!!! This reekkeeping thing is easy!! ;)

I currently have a weird algae that grows around substrate and makes it light, presumably so that it will move in a current and spread. I think I could get rid of it with turbos, but it's tough finding turbos or other cleaners in the current state of things. It doesn't grow on phosphate that's all I know, and besides giving me a dark tank bottom, it doesn't seem to be affecting anything I care about, so I've sort of just let it slide for now. If it was a HA outbreak or dinos, my coral would all be tucked up and hidden. So again, cleaner tank has (I think) kept this from being more than a nuisance.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Salty Cracker i don’t always agree with a bruins fan ;) but salty is right , and makes very good points , idc what people say here he knows his shit and so do other guys but it’s better to take 1 trust worthy guys knowledge and run with it then asking everyone and getting all sorts of answers .