Searching For Gha Cause

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
So if I follow what salty did (1 cup, changing every 3 weeks, for 3 months), hopefully that will give me the upper hand in the battle. If my math is correct, I need about 1lb? My tank is around 115g btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I think I'm starting to understand @Salty Cracker love for gfo. Three weeks running one cup has thinned the gha considerably!

Before
6c0548f9f6a440dcf88fd6d221e87b0b.png

Three weeks running gfo
2b8003dfc13878300a1c615b985d4860.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef G

I too use GFO never go without it! once you strip the phosphates from your water you'll end up changing gfo less instead of 3 weeks prolly every 4 or 5 weeks. Careful though as you want to still have very small traces of phosphates as coral still require it in their diet.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Absolutely, first remove the food source (phosphates) and then wait for the HA to starve. It definitely doesn't happen overnight, but then you will know how to keep HA at bay :)

Josh

I picked up some fluconazole that i want to try in my 20g long. I am going to throw a few rocks with bryopsis on them and treat the tank with the fluconazole. Just going to use a small powerhead to keep movement. If all the claims online are true it should kill all the bryopsis in 7-14days in a single dose. Its apparently coral and livestock safe (pending you dont nuke with rot etc etc). I plan on just doing liverock to see how it goes. Pretty hard to find a single person who doesnt speak highly of this treatement.

Anybody have any experience with this or am i the test runner here :D

Cons are definately the cost.

Chef G

outta curiosity how many hours a day are your lights on more specifically your "whites" assuming you have lights that allow you to control blues & whites separately? I ask because one of my mistakes in the hobby was even though id get phos down to the bare min i would still get GHA growth realized that my problem was that my whites were on for 2-3 hours longer than they needed to be.... hence why I asked the question..