Seized Powerhead Fix

I just picked up a couple of Jebao RW-4's that I've tested out but haven't put in my tank yet. While looking up some info regarding them online I came across this thread and thought it may be useful to some of you here. It's directed towards the Jebao brand of wavemakers but may apply to other powerheads as well.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552560

So while I'm not planning on replacing the bushings/bearings unless they fail I thought this may be a good tip to resurrect some powerheads that seem to have seized up. :cool:

Dave.

heath

Distinguished Member
yes it was, and they are my favourite wave makers/products....so I guess that I am going to have to break down and buy another head (?)

I was reading on another forum that you can just buy the impellers. As long as you know that's the problem. I guess if you had another one you could take the impeller out of the working powerhead and put it in the non-working powerhead and see if it spins up. Then you would know that you just need another impeller. :D

Well if you have to buy another one anyways may as well keep the impeller from the seized one and then you have a backup if you ever need it. ;)

At least they're fairly cheap. How old was the powerhead that seized up on ya?

heath

Distinguished Member
not sure,I got it used a year ago and it stopped working a few months after... I did check and I can buy just the power head and use the original cords.. oh, did replace the power cord so that is new.. I am a dye hard jabeo user...they work very well for me...

heath

Distinguished Member
that is really interesting, this is a wp 40 as well.. I have the wp60 on the big tank ( you brought to me) and it is a work horse, never an issue with it...

4Hummer

I Have a failed WP40 as well (Lasted 4+ years however)

This fix didn't work... Pump will run for a few minutes then quit.. =( Replacement on order from Pets and Ponds

heath

Distinguished Member
I Have a failed WP40 as well (Lasted 4+ years however)

This fix didn't work... Pump will run for a few minutes then quit.. =( Replacement on order from Pets and Ponds

this is getting really strange now that there seems to be a possible issue with the mp40's...I will be ordering a replacement as well...

That sucks that this fix didn't work for either of you. While doing research on the Jebao Wavemakers before getting them I did read a lot of reports of them lasting only 8 months to just over a year. Although others seem to have had them running for years without issues. Maybe it depends on how often they're cleaned or could just be luck of the draw. In all fairness though I was researching the new RW units and hadn't read much on the older WP models. I just though this fix would hopefully help some of you out.

I just figured that at the price point they're at with the features they provide it's worth the risk as they're fairly cheap to replace compared to some of the other powerheads. I have my two RW-4's in my 46g bowfront and I think they're great. But now I'm wondering if I should do the fix BEFORE they seize up. I'll probably just leave them be for now. I do hope that I hear of somebody here resurrecting their old powerhead. :)

heath

Distinguished Member
bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a replacement minus the controller and power cord, tried that first thinking that it could be that.. I received notification from Canada Post that it has been shipped and this morning that it will be here tomorrow...the fish will be happy, a 60 at on end and a 40 at the other end..:)