Simple question

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Will improper flow ( to slow) through a pellet reactor CREATE more po4?

I ask because I cannot get my levels down,( 0.05 or so)I run gfo 24/7, and swap out every 3.5 weeks
( a tlf 150 full)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
If they are all tumbling I can't see it being too slow a flow. And although this is of my own opinion I don't think they can leach po4 back into the system

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk HD

reeffreak

Super Active Member
What I though the  point of them tumbling is to knock off the bacteria that's growing on them, to be skimmed out. So my opinion would be, no, it shouldn't cause po4.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
Will improper flow ( to slow) through a pellet reactor CREATE more po4?

I ask because I cannot get my levels down,( 0.05 or so)I run gfo 24/7, and swap out every 3.5 weeks
( a tlf 150 full)

Ask a simple question, get a complicated answer.  In short, no.  I think the tumbling more has to do with oxygenation than anything.  Biopellets are way more adept at feeding bacteria that consume nitrates; hence the need/benefit to run GFO as well as BP.  If you are running biopellets and GFO, and still seeing your phosphates at 0.05, you are importing more phosphates than you are processing through the GFO/BP.  You either need to feed less, skim heavier, or add more GFO (or a combination).  Or you've got a source of phosphates like old rockwork.  Adding more biopellets or upping their flow rate is likely to make little dent in your phosphates, compared to upping your GFO useage (doesn't sound like that is an option unless you get a bigger reactor) or skimming heavier.  How much are you feeding per day and how often are you changing your water?

harleymike

Super Active Member
I always get 0.00 ppm on my tester at work. But still have hair algae. Good luck. I hope you figure it out. I was thinking of trying pellets next.
I will see how you do first. LOL

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
0.05 ppm
Stuff still grows and nothing dies but I do have cyano

I think maybe my skimming is an issue, doesn't take out much skimmate at all.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
This is 2+ weeks worth
tuba8uty.jpg

I clean it ever 2 weeks

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I get that in around 3 days. After 1 day the neck isn't transparent, I find it doesn't skim as well once neck has later of gunk.

KBennett

Do you still have that CSS 220 skimmer for sale?  I'd add it to your sump (with the SWC) to see if it helps.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Did u try increasing the flow through your gfo?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
Did u try increasing the flow through your gfo?

gfo is a the max boil rate i want to put it at..
any more and it gets gfo dust all over my sump
is a tlf 150 reactor full enough for a tank my size? 150g +/-

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
What do you mean full enough? I use 1 cup in a tlf150 any more than that it doesn't tumble well