Simple question

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
What do you mean full enough? I use 1 cup in a tlf150 any more than that it doesn't tumble well

You seem to Handle last of hardware stuff, easy way to tell would be to try another reactor with an extra Cup and run them both for a day or two and see if it drops a lot. If it does u could just need a bigger reactor and a bit more gfo.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=7116.msg72439#msg72439 date=1386633575]
What do you mean full enough? I use 1 cup in a tlf150 any more than that it doesn't tumble well

You go through lots of stuff, easy way to tell would be to try another reactor with an extra Cup and run them both for a day or two and see if it drops a lot. If it does u could just need a bigger reactor and a bit more gfo.
[/quote]

i always fill my reactor to the top of the 0 on the 150 sticker.

maybe i will try the second reactor and see, i do have a spare 150

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=7116.msg72440#msg72440 date=1386633759]
[quote author=Duke link=topic=7116.msg72439#msg72439 date=1386633575]

You go through lots of stuff, easy way to tell would be to try another reactor with an extra Cup and run them both for a day or two and see if it drops a lot. If it does u could just need a bigger reactor and a bit more gfo.
[/quote]

i always fill my reactor to the top of the 0 on the 150 sticker.

maybe i will try the second reactor and see, i do have a spare 150
[/quote]

I use a measured 250ml,while running it's about half full looking, when off its like 1/4 full iirc

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I run 2 gfo reactors with 400 ml in each to get my po4 down to 0.03 ppm, I think I'm leaching out some rock I got from another reefer. I dose vinegar and took my sulphur denitrator offline cause I couldn't detect any no3, my no3 is @ 0.5 ppm now so I will see if that helps with the po4.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
This is 2+ weeks worth
tuba8uty.jpg

I clean it ever 2 weeks

Hmmm....doesn't seem like much skimmate for over 2 weeks.... I get that in a day or two and I only have a 75g with small sump.....
.05ppm is pretty low still for po4 reading. I'm pretty skeptical now about the actual accuracy of the Hanna po4 checkers....over the past couple years I have noticed that corals will still grow in higher than normal po4 levels....even most sps....however, seems like a lot of algae feed off po4 or perhaps something else in the water that is removed via DI or GFO...maybe silicate idk....so in conclusion I have found that by chnging DI and GFO religiously I am able to control algae and feed heavily to my fish and coral at the same time. Seeing good results in coral growth and keeping tank clean.... Oh and I skim heavy like I kinda mentioned above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Reef Hero link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7116.msg72411#msg72411 date=1386624183]
This is 2+ weeks worth
tuba8uty.jpg

I clean it ever 2 weeks

Hmmm....doesn't seem like much skimmate for over 2 weeks.... I get that in a day or two and I only have a 75g with small sump.....
.05ppm is pretty low still for po4 reading

[/quote]

yea, the skimmer is going to be upgraded shortly
i know its low, its good enough to grow and keep colour, but i really want my stuff to shine and to get
the colours some of you guys are getting,

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=7116.msg72460#msg72460 date=1386640719]

[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7116.msg72411#msg72411 date=1386624183]
This is 2+ weeks worth
tuba8uty.jpg

I clean it ever 2 weeks

.05ppm is pretty low still for po4 reading

[/quote]

yea, the skimmer is going to be upgraded shortly
i know its low, its good enough to grow and keep colour, but i really want my stuff to shine and to get
the colours some of you guys are getting,
[/quote]

Honestly, it can become a balancing act when trying to do a mixed reef of all sorts of species and yet trying to keep water super clean so algae does not bloom.....I have found that feeding can play an important role....and then it's all about getting as much excess nutrients leftover from feeding out! Whether it is heavy skimming, filtration, media, bacterial consumption, etc....I'd recommend as many as possible :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Reef Hero link said:
Heres my cup after approx. 24 hours.

well, i see where a bunch of my probs are comming from then i guess lol
alls i need is a new skimmer pump and ill be running the most luxurious skimmer ever lol

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Torx link said:
I do not think you need a new skimmer, maybe just tune it a little 'wetter' to pull the crap out. You should have to clean it at least twice a week IMHO.

His skimmer is under rated for his system IMO.
http://www.swcskimmers.com/product2.html