Sps Meltdown..again.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
The concentration of ho2o that you'll need to sterilize the system will be way too high for any fish, inverts or anything living to survive.

Why don't you drain your tank into containers. Save all the water. Then fill the system with tap water and run bleach through it for a few hours. Usually a 400-500ppm bleach solution will be plenty to kill anything off. Then rinse with hot water a few times. Treating with prime the last time around to be sure. During the last rinse with prime in the hot water, let this circulate for about an hour and you should be clean and clear to refill.

Then drain the system. Add your water back in along with fish.

But you'll need to run lights off for a few days with heavy carbon filtration for a week. Some spores may also be present in your old Water.

Sony Xperia Z3

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Ill get killed, if i have to empty and drain the tank that many times lol. My parents will have my head on stake haha. I already have to listen to them bitch about 20g weekly water changes lol. How many times will i have to drain and fill the tank to fully rinse it?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Ill get killed, if i have to empty and drain the tank that many times lol. My parents will have my head on stake haha. I already have to listen to them bitch about 20g weekly water changes lol. How many times will i have to drain and fill the tank to fully rinse it?
I'd give it a rinse with hot water. Then fill it with hot water and prime. Then run that for an hour or so. Then drain it and you should be good to go.

This isn't a cheap hobby and it's only worse when you have to fix a problem.

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
maybe Eric could chime in again, what if you drain the tank, save the water and just use a minimal amount of water to clean the tank, throw that water out and then flush the tank, I don't think that you would have to fill the tank to flush it out a couple of times.. no matter how you do it, its going to hurt...

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Go to culligan water on a Tuesday they are toonie Tuesdays. 2 dollars for 5 gallons of Rodi water get all me water and dump in pails and add salt and run a heater and powerheads to circulate No worrying about all the time to make up the water I used culligan water for yrs b4 I bought a Rodi unit was a pain in ass taking all them up 10 floors ..

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You could do that.

But filling the tank and running with 400+ ppm bleach is the only sure fire way to ensure every nook and cranny gets hit.

But I suppose if you use a spray bottle with the bleach solution (I'd probably aim for 600+ppm if doing it this way) and spray everything including your plumbing. You "should" be ok

I'm just giving you the best scenario for sanitizing the entire system

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
Go to culligan water on a Tuesday they are toonie Tuesdays. 2 dollars for 5 gallons of Rodi water get all me water and dump in pails and add salt and run a heater and powerheads to circulate No worrying about all the time to make up the water I used culligan water for yrs b4 I bought a Rodi unit was a pain in ass taking all them up 10 floors ..

that is an awesome idea, good suggestion...

Cliff

Good advice Eric. Bleach has been used by hundreds of reefers to sanatize tanks. Do a search on rc. It is easly evaporated and you can get remnants of the bleach out with prime.
Have you thought of dosing lanthanum chloride after to get rid of the excess phosphates?

heath

Distinguished Member

did the math and with buying enough water for your tank (130 gal) you are looking a 52.00 bucks, that should help your parents...

Sewerat

Super Active Member
The cleaning is the easy part, even the rinse. Just use normal tap water. You won't have to worry about N04 until you get the corals back from me. In a few months. You'll need to cook your rock off first.

Rubbermaid totes, garbage cans, even saw large flat Rubbermaid style containers for storage at Canadian tire on sale last week for $10 they hold about 30-40 gals each.

Just buy the cheapest salt you can, and test the water your rock sits in for pros and nitrates, change as it spikes. Fish can sit in the water you have in garbage cans for a day or two while you clean system.

Think outside the glass box.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Salt.

When I did mine. I did about 150-200 lbs. dried it all out for a few weeks, in the sun. Then left in salt water for about 3-4 months, with no lights, heater. To just keep warm it was in my basement, and a power head at each end, and a skimmer running. When I did water changes in my DT, I drained from my rock pails into sewage drain and topped them up with my DT water, made fresh water for my DT. That way I saved on some salt. You can do the same as you will have your fish in your system once it's all cleaned out.

Reason I don't want to take your fish. Is I don't want to feed the tank trying to starve any bryopiss that might come over with your frags, if your frags are in a tank that doesn't have any no4 from fish waste. Nothing bad should be able to grow.

But if you've got a smallish yellow tang I'll toss in my DT to eat a little HA I have. If not no big deal.

That's the plan anyways

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Oh and have you got a little salt? I need 5lbs maybe? Almost got tank filled but looks like Gonna be low 1.020 maybe? So need a bit to top it up. Right now about 50gals made and sitting at 1.030 with all the salt I have.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Sewerat has the lights Riley, good luck with the bagging and fragging and ridding your nightmare for good ! If it were my issue I'd spend a little cash replace the plumbing and add shut offs if you can. The fish will be fine in a bucket with a heater and some flow while you clean the tank and refill it.