Strange critter on glass - safe?

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I've seen this fella before and haven't been able to match it up to any of the common pest pictures.... anyone have a thought?

It almost looks like he has little wings on his back similar to some ants.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I've seen this fella before and haven't been able to match it up to any of the common pest pictures.... anyone have a thought?

It almost looks like he has little wings on his back similar to some ants.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
curiousphil link said:
OK apparently my images don't want to upload.  Trying again one at a time.

looks like a nudi ??
some one else chime in, but i think the phrase: " BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!" is applicable.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
curiousphil link said:

looks like a nudi ??
some one else chime in, but i think the phrase: " BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!" is applicable.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=curiousphil link=topic=5683.msg54575#msg54575 date=1372260402]

looks like a nudi ??
[/quote]

This is what I fear and what I suggested in one of my posts that didn't go up properly.

I first spotted it several weeks ago. 

If it's a monti eater... I have my danae, setosa, digi and 3 caps.  The danae has some definite white patches on it, digi has poor polyp extension in parts that I have chaulked up to too much flow, setosa and caps look good.

If it's a zoa eater... I have 3 frags that I got at fragfest.  Two are both yelow/green and yellow/red colours.  The other is a dark red.  One of the yellow/green frags is opened nicely.  The other got split in half by something and it now two frags - one half glued to a rock and doing nicely, the other still on its plug and rarely opening.  The dark red one is on a rock epoxied to another rock - before it was epoxied down a snail turned it over, and it's just starting to open up again now.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=curiousphil link=topic=5683.msg54575#msg54575 date=1372260402]

looks like a nudi ??
[/quote]

This is what I fear and what I suggested in one of my posts that didn't go up properly.

I first spotted it several weeks ago. 

If it's a monti eater... I have my danae, setosa, digi and 3 caps.  The danae has some definite white patches on it, digi has poor polyp extension in parts that I have chaulked up to too much flow, setosa and caps look good.

If it's a zoa eater... I have 3 frags that I got at fragfest.  Two are both yelow/green and yellow/red colours.  The other is a dark red.  One of the yellow/green frags is opened nicely.  The other got split in half by something and it now two frags - one half glued to a rock and doing nicely, the other still on its plug and rarely opening.  The dark red one is on a rock epoxied to another rock - before it was epoxied down a snail turned it over, and it's just starting to open up again now.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Word is still out but leaning towards monti.  Differences seem to be - monti nudis max out at 0.5 cm and are white/pale grey in colour, zoa nudis max out at 2 cm and mimic the host zoa as a camo mechanism.  Mine is more or less white, as you can see in the pics, and I estimate it was under a cm.  If I see another one on the glass I'll be sure to bust out my ruler.  I'm looking at the ruler I have here at work and am thinking that 2 cm seems very large compared to the creature I remember staring at the other evening.

Will have to do more hunting I suppose... but there aren't many places for them to hide in my tank.  Seeing as the danae has large white patches on it, I'll start my hunt there.  I've been meaning to take a closer look at it anyways, and have been contemplating separating the frag disk from the rock it's partially encrusted to.  But it kind of looks like it's been getting healthier recently, so I dunno.