Strange critter on glass - safe?

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Word is still out but leaning towards monti.  Differences seem to be - monti nudis max out at 0.5 cm and are white/pale grey in colour, zoa nudis max out at 2 cm and mimic the host zoa as a camo mechanism.  Mine is more or less white, as you can see in the pics, and I estimate it was under a cm.  If I see another one on the glass I'll be sure to bust out my ruler.  I'm looking at the ruler I have here at work and am thinking that 2 cm seems very large compared to the creature I remember staring at the other evening.

Will have to do more hunting I suppose... but there aren't many places for them to hide in my tank.  Seeing as the danae has large white patches on it, I'll start my hunt there.  I've been meaning to take a closer look at it anyways, and have been contemplating separating the frag disk from the rock it's partially encrusted to.  But it kind of looks like it's been getting healthier recently, so I dunno.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Ya that's a monti eating nudi alright ... Wonder who's been handing them out ... Zoa nudis will have a little bit of bright colour to them.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Ya that's a monti eating nudi alright ... Wonder who's been handing them out ... Zoa nudis will have a little bit of bright colour to them.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
They will hide in places you will never find, check underneath all your corals on the plugs under the base of coral, if you have one chances are you have lots.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
They will hide in places you will never find, check underneath all your corals on the plugs under the base of coral, if you have one chances are you have lots.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeffreak link said:

I sold you a BN frag when u came by right Phil?
Ill take real close look at my frag tank tonight just to be sure it wasn't me who gave it to you.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeffreak link said:

Ill take real close look at my frag tank tonight just to be sure it wasn't me who gave it to you.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=5683.msg54598#msg54598 date=1372278037]

[/quote]

Yeah I got a BN from you this weekend but I first saw the nudi I think a week or two after Fragfest.  I'm quite sure I didn't get it from you!  And I think the only thing my gf picked up from you at FF was zoas...

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=5683.msg54598#msg54598 date=1372278037]

[/quote]

Yeah I got a BN from you this weekend but I first saw the nudi I think a week or two after Fragfest.  I'm quite sure I didn't get it from you!  And I think the only thing my gf picked up from you at FF was zoas...

curiousphil

Super Active Member
It reappeared on the glass.  Looked to be more like 1.5 cm and had green on its back.  This was the first time I had seen it while my girlfriend was here so I called her in, and she had a brilliant idea - "why don't you just siphon it out?"  So we did.  Saga to be continued... if I see another :).

curiousphil

Super Active Member
It reappeared on the glass.  Looked to be more like 1.5 cm and had green on its back.  This was the first time I had seen it while my girlfriend was here so I called her in, and she had a brilliant idea - "why don't you just siphon it out?"  So we did.  Saga to be continued... if I see another :).

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
I think if it had colour it might be a zoa eating nudi

Im wondering why it keeps appearing on the glass...is it lost? Yea all the monti eating nudis ive seen has been pure white...and when there was 1 there was more. I would keep an eye on your montis and zoas, if any of them look irritated and lights have been on for a good amount of time....pull whatever is irritated and dip it in something and see if anything comes off.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
I think if it had colour it might be a zoa eating nudi

Im wondering why it keeps appearing on the glass...is it lost? Yea all the monti eating nudis ive seen has been pure white...and when there was 1 there was more. I would keep an eye on your montis and zoas, if any of them look irritated and lights have been on for a good amount of time....pull whatever is irritated and dip it in something and see if anything comes off.

C

copperkills

Maybe you have both....if u have white patches on ur capa then its certainly and monti nudi.

C

copperkills

Maybe you have both....if u have white patches on ur capa then its certainly and monti nudi.