The Dream 120 Reef

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Been in the hobby for going on 5 years now , just like us all been through some rough times but also some great times and we all learn from our mistakes and learn new things . I’ve definitely would have been out of this hobby if it weren’t for 3-4 members on this forum , but 1 in particular member on this forum has been there and helped me every step on the way , almost on a daily basis lol , thanks for putting up with my annoying questions xD ,

Any who i first started with a 20g then cyano took over from over feeding reefroids lol..

Upgraded to a 40 gallon which I’ve had for quite a few years and it’s been a great “beginners tank” I’d recommend anyone getting into this hobby start with that volume minimum!

Now around dec 2018 I scored a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase @OrcaSB setup so I couldn’t help but buy it .

From what I know it’s euro braced 120 starfire front and sides , beananimal external over flow with black glass on the back .

This tank looks amazing.. i got the dt cleaned but the sump hasn’t been touched yet (going to wait for warmer weather and take it out side and give it a good cleaning
This tank will be sitting for atleast 4-6 months due to the set up process, therefore I used vaseline on the silicone everywhere to keep the caulking “ moist “ while it sits for a bit .

The plan is to make all the rock man made or about (80%) reason being is it’s way cheaper and you can custom a betting looking structure or better looking centre pieces. I want to make a foam back wall with some river rock flat rocks for “shelf” look on the wall for corals Then do some creative coves in the left side and rock that Come out , my rock work will be taller because I think it adds more depth , everything I make will have to cure for months and months in buckets of water to get rid of the chemicals that will bleached , but this will turn out great when it comes along .

Plans for some fish will be
3 tangs
School of anthieas
School of some chromices
2 wrasses
2 clowns
Debating on a copper band
And some inverts

Excited to get pics alone the way and keep this post going !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 265

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Slow start to the build but started the rock about a week and a half ago and took them out to sit for a day and then off to the bin of water to start the ph process, once I can get all the rock I can start making the layout I have planned (some what of a plan and winging some of it)

Attachments

• 848DEE96-E735-4AE5-B7B8-5A4BB151FF69.jpeg
    848DEE96-E735-4AE5-B7B8-5A4BB151FF69.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 216
  • 564A58CD-F803-41F0-87A9-B355D6AA9047.jpeg
    564A58CD-F803-41F0-87A9-B355D6AA9047.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 217
  • 7F7119C4-5CDB-4FDD-B0F6-33E361300C77.jpeg
    7F7119C4-5CDB-4FDD-B0F6-33E361300C77.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
  • CA792C31-C1A3-4AFF-BBC5-19995086874A.jpeg
    CA792C31-C1A3-4AFF-BBC5-19995086874A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 222
  • AF68C516-634F-4565-902E-A24B58F1081C.jpeg
    AF68C516-634F-4565-902E-A24B58F1081C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 213

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Question for you guys , I bought some dry rock around 9 months ago but as you can see in the picture the colour is way off from my man made stuff (as expected) any idea how I can get the rock looking not so green which looks like algae to me , bleach them ? I’ve watch brs bleaching video , just wanted to see what you guys think and your experience because I’ve never done that before but if it seems like a good idea I might

I feel like if I don’t it will be a bad eye sore with the colours and not sure I could wait a year or so for corals to cover the rocks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 186

MrHermit85

I acid bathed mine but they still were not as white as your man made stuff so you still might end up with mismatched colours... maybe beige and gray then? Lol

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I acid bathed mine but they still were not as white as your man made stuff so you still might end up with mismatched colours... maybe beige and gray then? Lol

I mean I might I definitely don’t want the green hair algae once’s looking like that lol

kapelan

Acid will react with calcium, so half of the rock will gone to nowhere.
Hydrogen Peroxide can be used to bleach without loosing anything.
It also will kill everything that's still alive on the rock.

MrHermit85

Acid will react with calcium, so half of the rock will gone to nowhere.
Hydrogen Peroxide can be used to bleach without loosing anything.
It also will kill everything that's still alive on the rock.

I didn’t notice that the acid took much mass off the rock. Granted I didn’t weigh it before and after so can’t know for sure. As far as I heard it takes off a small amount of the surface. I for sure would have noticed if half the rock disappeared... but it makes sense that it would considering the rock is calcium based

Last edited:

Kman

Super Active Member
I have done acid washing but it isn't worth it in the end in my opinion. It does dissolve your rock and with the extra hassle and danger of using acid it isn't worth it. BRS did a good video like Luke mentioned and compares all the options. How much of the rock dissolves depends on your ratio levels and how long you bath it.

As for getting the color to match once both are added to the water in a few months you won't notice much a difference in color between the man made and reef rock. Once the algae starts to grow they will match. When the tank is stable coraline algae and corals should begin to cover the rocks anyway. You can try bleaching them if you really want. But they won't color up at the same rate anyway so it is kinda a waste of time in my opinion.

MrHermit85

I have done acid washing but it isn't worth it in the end in my opinion. It does dissolve your rock and with the extra hassle and danger of using acid it isn't worth it. BRS did a good video like Luke mentioned and compares all the options. How much of the rock dissolves depends on your ratio levels and how long you bath it.

As for getting the color to match once both are added to the water in a few months you won't notice much a difference in color between the man made and reef rock. Once the algae starts to grow they will match. When the tank is stable coraline algae and corals should begin to cover the rocks anyway. You can try bleaching them if you really want. But they won't color up at the same rate anyway so it is kinda a waste of time in my opinion.

I agree that it won’t take too long for everything to look the same. I was reading back on my old thread and I used a very diluted mix when I acid bathed which is probably why it was not that crazy. It was a lot of work and if you are just wanting to change the colour probably isn’t worth it with the risks involved.. I used dry rock my first time round and the rock changed colour quite quickly (relatively) while the tank matured.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Honestly I want everything to be dead! On it I want a fresh start I’m actually going to sell off 95% of my corals , I just want a whole new start only thing going from my current 40 g is my 3 fish and 2 shrimps