The Dream 120 Reef

MrHermit85

Kapelan mentioned hydrogen peroxide. Probably a better bet considering it won’t chew your rock up. I do remember that there were star polyps on the rock I acid bathed and the acid didn’t remove a lot of it. I had to scrub and peal and scrub some more.

Last edited:

Kman

Super Active Member
I have been using the same rocks for decades with no issue. I take them out and clean and dry them, then I put them back in and use them some more. Then take them back out. If you clean them properly before you store them you cut down on future issues. The only thing I might do when using them again is do a bleach soak for 24 hrs in a 6 gallon bucket. Then I use a cap full of prime water conditioner soaking them in water. I keep adding if every few hrs till I don't smell the bleach. I will usually dry them for 24 hrs after. Never had any issues doing it this way.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I have been using the same rocks for decades with no issue. I take them out and clean and dry them, then I put them back in and use them some more. Then take them back out. If you clean them properly before you store them you cut down on future issues. The only thing I might do when using them again is do a bleach soak for 24 hrs in a 6 gallon bucket. Then I use a cap full of prime water conditioner soaking them in water. I keep adding if every few hrs till I don't smell the bleach. I will usually dry them for 24 hrs after. Never had any issues doing it this way.

Yeah I think I’ll give them a bath better be safe then sorry !

Kman

Super Active Member
If it really bothers you ascetically then I would. I myself don't like messing around with the acid approach is all. I don't feel the extra risk and work are a big enough payoff for the end result. Does mix matched rocks not look the best in the beginning? Yes. But the difference soon blurs in a few weeks when algae starts to grow. Algae sticks to man made rock fast. It is because of the color and how rough the texture is. Algae is all over that like white on rice. lol

Once you have it set up you will pay attention as to how sweet the rocks look anyway.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Any water in this thing ??

I wish , it’s been a slow start :( I have my 40 gallon going just waiting for the rocks to cycle 9 ish weeks then I can do the aquascaping , also going to be saving to re do the plumbing , I’m thinking roughly in the $300+

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Well wee Update , wasn’t fully happy with the way my diy rock turned out in the end I was out about $50 , good cool experience and would do it again but it was taking to long for my ph to drop and I got lazy after the 3rd month of wc on the 1st cycle of the man made rock,

Ended up ordering 75 pounds of 2 different Marco dry rock (flat on one side , and the flat on both sides) and some premium Marco shelf rock from reefsuplies,

The sump needed cleaning bad , gave it 2 good cleans and in a vinegar soak out back now .
While the sump was out , i wasn’t thrilled with the dark stain inside the sump made it to dark and dingy lol .. so painted it and much happy with it !

Next will be waiting for the rock to show up and get the sump back in and start plumbing !

Some pics

Attachments

• 27C96742-8196-4114-BE44-C59FB1B4F9A0.jpeg
    27C96742-8196-4114-BE44-C59FB1B4F9A0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
  • C4D84976-89CB-4A37-8F6A-33A5F58BEFBE.jpeg
    C4D84976-89CB-4A37-8F6A-33A5F58BEFBE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • 4581802E-834D-479A-B21A-989069AA63FA.jpeg
    4581802E-834D-479A-B21A-989069AA63FA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 126

Kman

Super Active Member
Just mark the diy rock up to a learning lesson and fun experiment. In this hobby some options you try work out quite well and others $hit the bed so to speak. :)

Josh

reefbrite liverock enhance might be something worth looking at. They say it clears the pores like acid does.

Looking good Luke!

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Josh tell me a bit more about that stuff so is that equivalent To like dr Tim’s and instant oceans stuff to help cure/cycle dry rock??

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Rock showed up today , may need to order some more.. I feel like this would cover about half the tank ... Ijust unpacked it and messed around with a layout , really nice stuff from reef supplies . Not sure what’s next , anyone acid bath things before ? Will be looking in to that today to see what it’s about for phosphates in the rocks . Any advice would love to hear back .

Attachments

• 01242DEA-4059-4D6B-BAC8-E6C7DF4C6A6B.jpeg
    01242DEA-4059-4D6B-BAC8-E6C7DF4C6A6B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Marco Rock should be good to use as it. An acid bath is nasty stuff and I personality only recommend it if getting used rock.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@TORX , it does have a bit of stuff but for dry rock your right , maybe bleach then ? Just want no issues on this tank, I need to do better then my 1st lol

@Jason Bell
Nice ! How long has yours been comming along