The Mystery Build

Josh

The Stand

Its 2" tube steel construction that was build new 4 years ago for the tank. Over that time its collected a bit of surface rust. I've had two previous metal stands and both accumulated surface rust over 4-6 years of use for salt water.

Since this is my one chance for this stand, I want to clean it up properly. Since salt seems to penetrate most normal metal paints I though I might try a coat of truck bed liner to see if that does a better job of protecting the metal. I've not seen this mentioned on DIY reef forums though, so I have no idea how well it will work.

Tremclad paint binds to ANYTHING, if the surface has a bit of rust hit it with a light sanding and just paint over the rest. Glossy black looks nice

Fredk

Three things:

1. Holy carp this sump is big!
2. Had to take the front door off to get the stand in
3. When I first moved in here, I had dreams of a 200 gallon tank. LOL

Fredk

Well cr*@*p! Dude didn't prep the metal before he painted the stand. I've got sections of paint that look good, but have surface rust under them. I've got sections of paint flaking off to bare metal. If it was warmer, I'd take the door back off my apartment, haul this thing outside and strip and prep it completely. Not gonna work this time of year.:mad:

May have to put it on the balcony and pull out the angle grinder. :mad: :mad:

Fredk

Grindity grind grind.
Grind grind grind.
Grindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrind...

Almost stripped.

Fredk

I'm officially batsh*t crazy...

Well ventilated space:

20180225_113318.jpg

Just need to finish stripping.

Fredk

Two coats of acid etch primer and one topcoat done. Now I need to wait 24 hours before I apply the truck bed liner paint.

Fredk

So far the truckbed liner is a disaster. When I opened the can, all the fibrous material in the paint was in a solid clump at the bottom. I did a LOT of mixing and brushed on the first coat. The fibrous stuff went on clumpy. I thought this was maybe because I did it as a brush application, so I tried a roller for the second coat. Its even worse. The fiber seems to collect on the roller and come off in huge clumps.

What a mess. :mad:

Fredk

Well, its done. Not quite what I was looking for, but not as bad as I thought either. That's the nature of DIY sometimes.

Some observations:

1. my expectations of how a textured bed liner should finish were probably off. Pictures on the internets don't always tell the full story.
2. Bed liner goes on much better on horizontal than vertical surfaces.
3. Each time I mixed the liner, its seemed to get less lumpy. I should probably have mixed and let it sit a few times after I found how compacted the fibrous material in the can had become.
4. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. The final result is not that bad.

There is apparently a smooth bed liner from Durabak, but it's not available in Canada. If I were in the US, I would use that. If you are close to the border, I would look at this.

Fredk

Slow Progress. The next step is working on a top for the stand. I've had a minor flood for just about every aquarium I've ever set up. I'm hoping to avoid that this time.

I also wanted a rim to catch those annoying drips and minor spills that happen every time I do tank maintenance. I had decided on a 3" rim with a 1/2" trough to catch any overflow. The trough would have a series of holes to drain down into a pan on the floor. I originally wanted a pan several inches wider than the stand, but that complicated the design of stand cover panels, so I opted to drill angled holes so the water will drain to the inside of the stand.

For that I needed a jig to drill holes at something between 20 and 30 degrees off horizontal. Thought a pocket hole jig would do the trick, but the angle was to shallow, so I built me a jig.
jig.jpg
jig2.jpg

The next step is to add another layer to the rim to form a trough. I'll paint the top with liquid rubber pond liner. I figure this will last better than varnish, or urethane coatings.