Thinking about...nano frag tank

bart84

I think it's about 100. I have a cheap one on my 40 breeder and I am not to happy. So I don't know if it's worth spending the money or not

Marz

Torx said:
I like that DIY skimmer though. Should work great for how much you need it for.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Betcha it's loud tho. I am trying to keep this as inexpensive (read cheap) as possible.

Marz

Here's a pic of the setup. Prepping for putting stuff in! Any suggestions on a fish? Pretty low tech and I want to keep it that way.

fragtank_zps0ea1e86f.jpg

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Torx said:
Will be a sexy grow out tank, put in some nice small fish. Pair of Onyx or premium clowns of some sort

I just might know a store that has all their premium clowns on sale this weekend.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Big_Als_London said:
Torx said:
Will be a sexy grow out tank, put in some nice small fish. Pair of Onyx or premium clowns of some sort

I just might know a store that has all their premium clowns on sale this weekend.
Oh really lol

Marz

Big_Als_London said:
Torx said:

Wish I were in London this weekend if that's the case, but alas I am not! and after my ERC came back thawed out, if I sent my wife, the fish might come home frozen :)

Marz

Latest update. Frag tank has been running for a month now. Used mostly tank water from my DT with 1 gallon of new water. The first 2 weeks I used DT water for water changes, and since then have been using new water that I mix. I also have been reading quite a bit and there was a suggestion from a forum member on another post, that with a nano tank, I can do very small water changes/week to keep it stable. So today, I tried removing 3 cups of water and adding 3 cups of new water (makes changes amazingly easy). I also moved my problem zoas over couple of weeks ago and they seem to be coming around, but still look a little distraught. Not sure what else to do, but c'est la vie I suppose. I haven't been able to pickup marinepure, but am currently using my dead rock with Koralia pump that is facing upwards to move the surface water. I got an Aqua C remora for cheap and will be cleaning it up this week and adding to the tank.

Question: I have some red legged crabs (came with the blues that I wanted) that I would like to move over to the frag tank, will I have to drip acclimate them as well and feed the tank? Also any suggestions on a fish that I can add...note that I do not have a top?

Here are the pics (sorry about the coloring I am still struggling with how to take decent pictures)

fragtank_zps07cc6ac0.jpg

making a comeback

Zoassurvived1_zps416745e2.jpg

still struggling as well

Zoassurvived2_zps5f537d58.jpg

Marz

Latest update. Interestingly, a frag tank or smaller tank seems a little more difficult than I originally thought. I have a bunch of "algae"? I think that has grown on the tank. Only have skimmer, koralia and ATO, but am thinking that maybe I need to do something else to reduce the amount of "gunk" (<- not sure what this is). Currently, I am going weekly water changes and have increased the amount to 3.5 gallons/week as I have read where large water changes in a small tank are beneficial. I also turkey baste the rocks and bottom to loosen up anything that I can and suck it up. There were also a fair chunk of bubbles (which I think the algae is creating).

Here's my question, what is the "algae" that is growing in the tank, and any suggestion (more rock, etc) are welcome. Also, I have moved the "black widow" clown into the frag as I have 2 new ones for me DT. So far they seem to be getting along. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated as usual.

See pics below

Fragtank_Closeup_zpsf4eb37f7.jpg

The "two" together again!
kindagettingalong_zps14ca2c81.jpg

Full tank shot
Fragtankfaraway_zps8352909a.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
What is your clean up crew like in the tank. Types of snails and quantity.

Marz

I haven't added anything except some crabs from my DT that were killing some snails (I have 4 in the Frag tank). I assume that I should follow the same method that I used for my DT. Trochus snails and should I add Nassarius since I don't have any substrate? Also, I am never understand how many snails to add based on size of tank. If I could get some direction on that it would be great and also the types I should look at?

My CUC even in my DT is very small, 3 Trochus (full grown) 2 baby trochus and 4 nassarius (small ones).

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Trochus are awesome snails. I like turbos, cerith and nassarius as well. Nassarius enjoy a sand bed though.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i have found those ninja star snails great they are slow but thorough other than that turbos are fast maybe an urchin if you have lots.... key to algae is to remove whatever its feeding on are you using rodi or tap water? every frag tank i ever had did that for a couple months then stabilized and cleared up just meant a little more cleaning for a while

Marz

Same as my DT - RO/DI, same salt, etc. hadn't actually thought about a cleanup crew, and I think that's my prob. I will try and pick up a trochus or 2 tomorrow