To drill or not to drill

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So grabbed the sweet corner tank, and it's really just going to be a frag/colony grow out tank.  It's a bit nerve wracking thinking about drilling it, so I'm actually toying with a hob skimmer, a couple of powerheads and likely 3 chambers (gfo/carbon/pellets).  I would likely add dosers a little later.  Would you guys drill it or leave it be? 

It's a lot less work to not drill it :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well I think a corner tank would look best bottom drilled as to stay flush with both walls. To drill it on the side, you would have to leave it out a few inches on one or both sides. But you would have to do that with a HOB as well. The other concern is that the bottom is most likely tempered... oh the debates...

If you do decide to drill a side panel...how thick is the glass?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Torx link said:
Well I think a corner tank would look best bottom drilled as to stay flush with both walls. To drill it on the side, you would have to leave it out a few inches on one or both sides. But you would have to do that with a HOB as well. The other concern is that the bottom is most likely tempered... oh the debates...

If you do decide to drill a side panel...how thick is the glass?

The bottom is temperd.  The spot where it's going has a jut out thing on one side, which keeps it ~6" away from the wall, and the other wall is an outside wall, so I'd want a gap on that too.  I would likely cut a couple of strips of something to bridge the gaps visually at some point (and hide the overflow if I go that route).

Glass is 1/2", should drill well, but it would be a fair bit of time to do the overflow, order the bulkhead pieces, etc etc. 

sunnykita

Super Active Member
It's a beauty, I'd be scared shitless to try and drill it, good luck ! I have a teeny 30 gal corner tank and I love the look of it. It will be interesting to follow this build
good luck !

reefin

JMO,

But just the fact that you are asking the question seems to me that you want to have this tank drilled! You know in yur heart it would be the better way to go!

In the words of nike! Just do it! LOL

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Salty Cracker link said:
Glass is 1/2\", should drill well, but it would be a fair bit of time to do the overflow, order the bulkhead pieces, etc etc.

Then drill it :)

150% worth drilling it, so long as you can. I used HOB over flows since I started and was always nervous every time I was not home that something would happen and the siphon would break even with all the precautions I made. I did have it not work once, which seeded my concerns.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Drill it now, you won't regret it later. Guaranteed.

You go hob now, you will regret it later.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
drillbaby.jpeg

;D

davesolo29

Super Active Member
How tall is it?  I have a few overflows that might work for you. They are ones that I cut out of my cornerflow tanks. You can have one if you like.  Hell I can drill it for you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flazky

Website Affiliate
If you do plan on drilling it yourself, go slow. lowest settings and use plenty of water to keep the bit cool and free from crud.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Flazky link said:
If you do plan on drilling it yourself, go slow. lowest settings and use plenty of water to keep the bit cool and free from crud.

Go slow in deed, but speed was no issue for me, used a hammer drill myself for one of the holes, just be sure to have it on the drill setting, not the hammer setting.  :?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I would take a piece of ply wood, cut a hole out of it the same size as the hole you want in the tank, clamp it to the tank so your bit doesn't jump around on ya. When you first start the hole go in on an angle so it's doesn't jump around and slowly level it out as you go. Let the weight of the drill be the pressure on the glass.  Also tape something on the other side so when you make it all the way threw it doesn't fall and break the tank or  chip the glass

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
reeffreak link said:
I would take a piece of ply wood, cut a hole out of it the same size as the hole you want in the tank, clamp it to the tank so your bit doesn't jump around on ya. When you first start the hole go in on an angle so it's doesn't jump around and slowly level it out as you go. Let the weight of the drill be the pressure on the glass.  Also tape something on the other side so when you make it all the way threw it doesn't fall and break the tank or  chip the glass

I've done a fair bit of ceramic/tile drilling before.  I figure it's similar except no center bit? 

It sucks having a dT full of frags, and a tank sitting here all lit up and empty :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
davesolo29 link said:
How tall is it?  I have a few overflows that might work for you. They are ones that I cut out of my cornerflow tanks. You can have one if you like.  Hell I can drill it for you too.
It looks to be 18" high.  Would the overflow work with a side drilled hole?  I suppose it would now that I look at it...

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Your right, no center bit. Princess auto has diamond bits pretty cheap like 8$ . Some plumbers putty and your golden.

The faster you the drill the faster the tank can be filled with awesome frags  lol :) I could come down for a visit while you drill it .

davesolo29

Super Active Member
It's a diamond tank right?  I would put the overflow right in the very back. Drill one hole on one side and a second one on the other side.  Herbie method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay I guess I'll drill this sucker.  I don't have a drill guide but I do have a full height drill press, if this was a rectangular tank it would be great, but it's got the funky bowfront, so I'll have to shore it up with towels or something, then drill.  I learned early on in renovations to only freehand things if you have to. 

I'm thinking as suggested, dual overflows, maybe 3/4" each.  One return, probably 1/2" ? probably go with threaded-inside fittings, and I'll have to have a custom sump made that will fit in the funky stand (or maybe make a new stand).  Lot of work for a damn frag tank :)

J_T

Website Affiliate
Drilling is easy. Did a tank on the weekend.

You are right that the challenge for you will be the curved front. You can drill it while it is upright. Just need a nice steady flow of water on that bit. RO unit waste water works well :) And is pretty easy to possition (how many people are thinking thats a good idea... a few I bet!)

Taking your time is the tough part. You will feel it cutting. Biggest thing once the hole is started will be keeping it straight.

For a side drilled tank, I would do a boxed overflow, and Durso it. You don't need crazy flow through on a frag tank. So, keep it simple. Too much time, and money, and this becomes a display... Just need an extra gasket, one inside the overflow, one between the overflow, and the tank.

And well, as for that sump...  ;D

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
J_T link said:
Drilling is easy. Did a tank on the weekend.

You are right that the challenge for you will be the curved front. You can drill it while it is upright. Just need a nice steady flow of water on that bit. RO unit waste water works well :) And is pretty easy to possition (how many people are thinking thats a good idea... a few I bet!)

Taking your time is the tough part. You will feel it cutting. Biggest thing once the hole is started will be keeping it straight.

For a side drilled tank, I would do a boxed overflow, and Durso it. You don't need crazy flow through on a frag tank. So, keep it simple. Too much time, and money, and this becomes a display... Just need an extra gasket, one inside the overflow, one between the overflow, and the tank.

And well, as for that sump...  ;D

I was thinking durso, but double, only because if one drain gets plugged, it would overflow. probably 2 3/4" drains, one as an emergency overflow only, a throttle on the other one.  probably a 1/2 return.  I'll send you some measurements for the sump, it's a weird wedge shape...