To drill or not to drill

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay looks like drill bit, bulkheads and overflow box arriving today, I may just up and drill it if I can get it under the drill press.  probably one overflow, one emergency overflow, and a return.  Stay tuned for the hilarity!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Free hand drilling is easy as well. Just use the weight of the drill to make the hole, just be careful when it goes through so you do not push the drill through the glass. :/

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Torx link said:
Free hand drilling is easy as well. Just use the weight of the drill to make the hole, just be careful when it goes through so you do not push the drill through the glass. :/

That will be my absolute last choice.  Mostly because I figure I'll scratch it to hell trying to start the cut.  Drill press is the best for this sort of thing.  Steady pressure, no sudden weird angles, constant speed (slow for this).  We'll see if it will fit.   

spyd

Super Active Member
Set up a video camera!!! I would love to see the action when the glass breaks and you smash the tank into a million pieces! Just kidding. Best of luck!!

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
spyd link said:
Set up a video camera!!! I would love to see the action when the glass breaks and you smash the tank into a million pieces! Just kidding. Best of luck!!
go get a go pro  camera and a helmet.  And video it.    Then when yu break or crack it  then keep the camera going when yu sledge hammer it

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well she be drilled.

Couldn't get it on/near the drill press so I just went freehand with some plumbers putty.  First one was a little tricky, but the other two were a piece of cake.  My son went in for an appendectomy so I figured it would take my mind off it.  Two overflows and a return.  I just need silicone and a whole bunch of plumbing/equipment now. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Great to great.

Freehand is pretty tricky, some use a piece of wood with a hole drilled as a guide. Myself, just started on an angle making a small pit, then we tilted the drill vertical (if that makes and serve)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Thanks guys, just putting the overflow box on the tank now, actually put a bit of water in.  If Boston hadn't sucked so much wind tonight and I didn't have this headcold, and I didn't have a son in the hospital I'd be feeling pretty pleased with myself :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Thanks.  He'll be fine.  appendix ruptured so he's a bit grumpy.  :)

Now I have to focus on a skimmer, plumbing and sump.

a build thread would be readily appreciated
with pictures, LOTS of pictures ;)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
You know I rarely go into home depot anymore.  But today I went in, in search of cpvc pipe and fittings for the tank plumbing.  Not only do they not carry any of it any more, they said "shortage of solvent" was the reason.  Luckily Canadian tire somehow seemed to corner the market on solvent and had pretty much everything I needed. 

I'm sure lowes would have had lots of parts too, I'll have to check if they were affected by the worldwide solvent shortage.  :? :poop:

GirDance

I had the same issue when I tried home depot for CPVC fittings when we replaced some galvanized pipes this summer and installed the new water softener...  The employee told us no one buys the stuff.  Found everything at Home Hardware - go figure.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
GirDance link said:
I had the same issue when I tried home depot for CPVC fittings when we replaced some galvanized pipes this summer and installed the new water softener...  The employee told us no one buys the stuff.  Found everything at Home Hardware - go figure.

hahahaha yeah, if you don't sell it, then nobody will buy it!!  Nobody buys my 20lb gold bard or 5 lb diamonds either!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=GirDance link=topic=4961.msg48110#msg48110 date=1365800614]

hahahaha yeah, if you don't sell it, then nobody will buy it!!  Nobody buys my 20lb gold bard or 5 lb diamonds either!
[/quote]

I now know why you got your rottie. Let me know when you have your yard sale where the gold bar/diamonds seem to make it into the $5 box.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
unibob link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4961.msg48111#msg48111 date=1365801932]
[quote author=GirDance link=topic=4961.msg48110#msg48110 date=1365800614]

[/quote]

I now know why you got your rottie. Let me know when you have your yard sale where the gold bar/diamonds seem to make it into the $5 box.
[/quote]

Actually the rottie is up on kijiji right now.  Looking for an adorable new dog?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay a couple of shots. I'm ordering a check valve for the return line since it's outside the overflow.  I'll probably keep the outlet near the top of the water like I do in my 120 just to be on the safe side.