To New Beginnings :)

Marz

Well the tank is up and running and now...I am starting my new "Build Thread".

So today the family decided to go look at some corals since this is really a communal build at my household. We went to Canada Corals. First thing my daughter saw was the Fluval Edge 6g SW tank at the entrance, and thank the stars she is happy with her betta as she kept talking about converting it :). Anyway, the wife saw a few things that she liked which is good since I am not getting too much grief for the money that I have spent so far. We all really like the layout and how friendly and helpful the people were. What are everyone's thoughts on Corals first - or is this too tough for a beginner, just start with fish (and I mean only AFTER the cycle).

Tank is now ready to cycle and I will be ghost feeding. I will take a pic with the light on tomorrow.

One other thing. I only had my FW ammonia tester, and it foamed up, will I need to buy a SW ammonia test?

Stats

30G IM Nuvo tank (AIO) - ATO, Protein Skimmer, Koralia (replacing with WP10s - hoping for 2)
no filter media running at all - will be using purigen and chemi elite
Skkye 18" Dimmable light (I have included an image of the par value as I am looking for feedback - will go more in depth).

Temp: Holding at 78.4
Salinity: 1.026
CA²: 460
KH: 10° (179)
P0₄³: 0
Everything else at "0" as I am just starting the cycle.

Below is the PAR value for my light and specs - thoughts would be great. I am looking at eventually LPS, monit (Maybe) I love the different birdsnest.
1 Watt High Brightness LEDs
120 lumens per watt
Pulse Width Modulation – Dimming
Color Spectrum Range – 14K to 20K
2 Channel Dimming – Daylight & Actinic
3 Cycle Illumination
14K Daylight
456nm Sunrise/Sunset
446nm Lunar
Wattage: 20W (9W Daylight, 9W Actinic, 2W Moonlight)

Jewel

Canada Corals is a great place, They have some really nice Corals for sure and the people are great. I'm not familiar with the lighting you have, but anytime I see 1 watt, that not good enough for Coral. I hope somebody else chimes in here. Like to see a Pic with the light on.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Jewel link said:
Canada Corals is a great place, They have some really nice Corals for sure and the people are great. I'm not familiar with the lighting you have, but anytime I see 1 watt, that not good enough for Coral. I hope somebody else chimes in here. Like to see a Pic with the light on.

1watt is just fine. I have a 1watt chinese unit over my 120 and growing birdsnest and sour apple just fine. Should be more then enough on that 19" high tank. It may be something that you will want to upgrade down the road, but we all end up doing that no matter what lighting we get off the start. It will be good for now and for a long while.

MrHermit85

I don't see anything wrong with putting corals in first, as long as you do your research and choose ones that are not too demanding till you can get the hang of it. 2 weeks after my tank cycled I added zoas, open brain, candycane and a torch. They are all thriving today. I guess you wouldn't want to add SPS or anything crazy till your tank has matured though. As long as your tank is settled after the cycle and you have tested everything and are confident that there havnt been any crazy spikes for a while, go for it. That's just from my experience.

Jewel

That's true you could and you might be able to get some at the Frag Fest, I suggest being very peticular with what you purchase. I like lots of colour, neon Green or yellow. A tri colour Torch would be nice, that's what I'll be looking for.

Marz

Well that whole thing went to hell in a hand basket today, that's the prob when family gets involved :( came home with 2 baby fish, and just went out to look at corals. We'll see how this goes. DR. Tim's was added, fish were acclimated for well over 1/2 hr each and seem to be doing fine. Measurements are still on track and I haven't been able to sleep. I have only ever done this once with my FW Oscars 20+ years ago when my 90 went belly up - but at least then I had all my filters.
Will see what the measurements are tomorrow, or I will be donating them to someone on here as fast as I can.

Slap me when you see me at the Fragfest.

As far as the corals, I intend to hold my ground. I don't want too many and will be very selective of color and placement.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
what fish did you end up picking up? tank looks great, one thing i noticed is you will want to pick up a nice magnetic cleaner for the glass, you also want to make sure it will fit between the glass and the rocks on all 3 sides.

one of these would work great for your tank and its pretty slick looking too.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vertex-cleaner-mag-simplex.html

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
what fish did you end up picking up? tank looks great, one thing i noticed is you will want to pick up a nice magnetic cleaner for the glass, you also want to make sure it will fit between the glass and the rocks on all 3 sides.

I learned the hard way about using mag cleaners in a tank with sand.  All it takes is one grain to get trapped between scraper and glass, and you've got yourself a scratched tank!  They are great for gravel substrate tanks, but I'd use this:

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/proscraper-extendable-p-6201.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
jeffopentax link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=8140.msg86042#msg86042 date=1395079094]

I learned the hard way about using mag cleaners in a tank with sand.  All it takes is one grain to get trapped between scraper and glass, and you've got yourself a scratched tank!  They are great for gravel substrate tanks, but I'd use this:

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/proscraper-extendable-p-6201.html

[/quote]

good call, my tank is acrylic so i never go anywhere near it with either. i just know coraline algae is a big pain in the butt, i still remember back when i was so excited when i saw my first dot on the glass, what was i thinking? lol

Marz

I will look at this as I never thought about getting gravel caught - and I already have a magnet one. I guess my daughter could use it.
We got 2 little baby clowns. Although I am sitting at work still worried about them...they are cute (yeah I said it). With 2 young kids and a wife who hated to look at an empty tank for the last little while  it is what it is.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Marz link said:
I will look at this as I never thought about getting gravel caught - and I already have a magnet one. I guess my daughter could use it.
We got 2 little baby clowns. Although I am sitting at work still worried about them...they are cute (yeah I said it). With 2 young kids and a wife who hated to look at an empty tank for the last little while  it is what it is.

dont worry at all, those clowns will be fine, they are very hardy fish. while its not the best practice.. its not the end of the world either.. your good to go!

Bfofre

Don't sweat it..  This "no fish" cycling push and the guilt that ppl make you feel..  Well whatever..  The clowns will be fine...  Just keep an eye if nitrate or ammonia get to high,  partial water change.

Ppl been cycling sw tanks for years with fish.. Lots still do it.. And don't admit it! 

If you ate a steak or chicken for dinner lately... You've done far worse to an animal already!  Muah!   

Don't beat yourself up,  making the wife and kids happy to see something living in the tank far outweighs any negatives!  Just sayin!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Marz link said:
I am hoping the Dr Tim's helps. Thanks

with alot of the bacteria's, they INSTRUCT you to put fish in right away and CLAIM that the cycle is over in less than 24 hrs.

just keep an eye on the levels and you should be just fine.

I agree some of you, no we shouldn't be cruel to or mistreat animals,  but if you really want to play that card, leave them in the ocean.
we need to look after them the best we can, and we do owe it to them to do our research etc.

impulse buys should be prohibited in this hobby, ;)
it does happen, but in this case i think you'll be fine.

keep us updated!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ya man do not worry.  A little bit of sea chem prime would be a nice back up if gongs get out of hand.

But I would bet you should be fine

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
+1 to no worries. Clowns are a good fish to start with, people use them to cycle tanks.

Marz

Wow...thanks for all the feedback! It's more an issue of the last time we had a fish die, the household women went nuts...Plus they really are very small :)

Ammonia is at .25, no nitrites, and 0 nitrates, hopefully tomorrow will see a change in nitrates. I will admit coming home and having life in there was very different then the last couple of weeks. Plus, I think from all my posts in such a short time, everyone can guess that I like to "plan" things for the most part.

Apparently the adventure has begun.

(Y)

Oh and I have 10G of saltwater mixing and heating as we speak - in the kitchen no less :)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Clowns are pretty hardy little guys, as the others said, just keep an eye on your parameters and they'll be fine. The women in the house will be happy having the clowns to watch. Enjoy !