To New Beginnings :)

Marz

Saturday update. I have been travelling for the last 3 days so was unable to do any testing. However, wife bought me a Apex and I somehow was able to join Fusion, so could watch stuff while travelling and set feeding timer so that she could feed the little guys :)

Stats
Temp 78.4
Sal: 1.026 (ato has made this very consistent which is awesome)
CA²: 480
KH: 8°
P0₄³: 0
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 0.1 (I would say horah, but want to test again tomorrow so that I am not fooling myself)
Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.89

I think that everything looks ok, and I hoping that the showing of nitrate is in fact true, but will validate tomorrow.

Clowns seem to be doing fine, although the bigger one is picking on the little one at times. Also mixed up their diet a little with the NLS pellets (thanks for the suggestion everyone) - the 1mm were a little big, so I had to grind them up for feeding. Also ordered come Cyclop-eez which will be here on Monday. They have no problem feeding and would like to be fed more every time they see us.

I also picked up a 20 gallon so that I could use this as my QT tank. Will probably set this up in the next couple of weeks.

Oh and does anyone know where to pickup aquarium safe sponges for cleaning? I saw AbD has them, but any suggestions in Brampton or Mississauga?

Jewel

Yes, that's a good idea, Don't be alarmed with Diatom, It's a normal stage of a new tank and the browning of the sand is just a Silica reaction, Quite normal.

Marz

so here's a pic of the growth? that I see in my tank. Any ideas...? I am only currently seeing this in the corners where the silicon is connecting my sump to the tank. I don't see any browning or algae on the sand yet.

Jewel

Just remember your tank will never be as clean as it is right now, I think it's the start of the Diatom stage. Which is a brown film that is seen on the rocks, glass, etc. Just keep doing what your doing.

Marz

Quick update

Stats
Salinity I have dropped over the last 2 days from 1.026 to 1.023 - based on my post in the "Disease ID" and recommendations.
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0.5
Nitrate = 0.2
P0₄³ = 0
PH = 7.93 (is it normal for this to fluctate from 7.87 - 7.94 over a 2 week period?

Still seeing that growth in the corners but haven't noticed anything on the rocks, sand, or glass. Have been feeding Clowns NLS pellets mostly, with the odd flake here and there. Have also ordered Cyclop-eez and will try that tomorrow. The bigger one picks on the little one, however I do catch them hanging out together and at times they sleep in the same corner. There are also other times where they do stick to their corners.
I am also trying to ensure that my skimmer is dialed in as it has been awhile since it has produced gunk.

(I will hopefully get to meet some of you helpful people at the Fragfest)

Jewel

It's the first step in the process, It doesn't stay long keep testing and be patient, Hopefully you can purchase something at the Frag Fest.

Marz

Jewel link said:

It's the first step in the process, It doesn't stay long keep testing and be patient, Hopefully you can purchase something at the Frag Fest.

That would be amazing! But I am not getting my hopes up. I also want to put a list together of what I would like to out in the tank so that I can research.

Marz

This may seem like an odd question and I have perused the forums,  but when do you know a tank is ready for corals? I couldn't even find a sticky.

Marz

Stats for today...nitrites have spiked. Just tested so will have to do some reading. Only using skimmer and Filter floss.

Nitrites: 2
Nitrates: 1
Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.91
Temp: 77.9
Salinity 1.023

Marz

So, just an update not on stats, but I think that the diatom is coming in. Just bought a turkey baster so I can see if I have gunk on the rocks. Here's a pick. Is this Diatoms starting? Also, at what point do I look at a CUC?
Taken with my Ipad btw.

Bfofre

Diatom yes,  cuc now..  I recommend some Margarita snails,  turbos can be like linebackers in your corals!  Also I like hermits,  but some do not.  Finally,  I've added some nassarius for the sand bed...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Marz

Bfofre link said:
Diatom yes,  cuc now..  I recommend some Margarita snails,  turbos can be like linebackers in your corals!  Also I like hermits,  but some do not.  Finally,  I've added some nassarius for the sand bed...
Could I wait for CUC until the Fragfest?

Marz

Stats for the day

Nitrites 3
Nitrates 3
Ammonia 0
PH: 7.83

Still using skimmer and only filter floss. Should I change the filter floss, or just let things continue on?

Marz

I haven't had time to test everything, but did 5g water change tonight, PH is up and will do all the tests after the house gets settled. Diatoms in "bloom" :)