UGH! Algae craziness

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a week later this is what my tank looks like.... I'm off this weekend to grab a protine skimmer, magnet for the glass, test strips and a power head...

I hate how it looks, all part of the cycle I am guessing?

je4aregy.jpg

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Your tank looks like my tanks after a week.  That much algae on the glass after a week isn't that uncommon.

BIGSHOW link said:
Your tank looks like my tanks after a week.  That much algae on the glass after a week isn't that uncommon.

That's what I was told by my friend Jenna... My sand looks horrible as well, Just want my clear clean tank back but I know it has to go through the cycles

chief hill

If it's still cycling it'll go through its process.  And a clean up crew won't hurt either if it's cycled now.
What are the current parameters?  Phosphate level might be elevated. 

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

chief hill link said:
If it's still cycling it'll go through its process.  And a clean up crew won't hurt either if it's cycled now.
What are the current parameters?  Phosphate level might be elevated. 

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Not sure on the levels, I have to grab a test kit yet

And I have some blue legged hermits along with sand snails

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
In reading your other post you stated that your "...water is RO water from one of the water depots in town...". Algae growth is not really just from a cycle and am surprised no one else has chimed in at this point. Also, the original post in this thread stated that you were getting "test strips". Those strips do not test water accurately enough for coral. I understand that it is too early to start fixing things as your cycle has not completed, but algae on the glass is something you need to be prepared to fix. Did you end up getting RO/DI and salt up to 1.025/6 area? What test kits did you end up purchasing?

Looks like good steady levels all around! :) PH is 8.0 KH was between 180-240 N03 & N02 were 0

Did a water change with RO/DI and some pre mixed water from Big Al's, put in a brand new filter and a power head, rotating water deflector

Also threw in three turbo snails

Can Reefer

Aquarium Pharmacuticles are not very good test kits they are not as accurate as the sailfert or even Hagen test reagents and they are more for convenience  than for accurateness.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm not being a jerk, believe me... but using the API 'all in one' test strip is like using a tree branch to test for pregnancy. 

Smaller tanks are much harder to keep than big ones, just because of less buffer.  To avoid frustrations, you're going to need GOOD reliable test kits, and whole lotta patience (IE not just in and change something quick because the test kit says it's wrong). 

Here is  a thread I did on exactly what I believe.  I think there was some debate that went on, and hey, that's always good, but this is what has worked for me: http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3639.msg31319#msg31319

I'm pretty good at listening to what you all have to give for advice to me on here, Your not sounding like a Jerk but to be honest, that's all they had for test kits so that's what he gave me, I 100% intend on going and getting a higher end test kit for sure!

Figured since I was there I should grab something to at least give me an idea of what's going on in my tank, granted I am only four weeks in but things seem to be moving rather quick, so I had to make sure things were safe!

I appreciated all the advice from everyone, without you guys and my saltwater friends this tank would have crashed and burned by now I'm sure, So thank you!!

I'm looking forward to this exciting passion and new hobby of mine

Status
Not open for further replies.