uncalibrated refractometer.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
So when i went into IA today i brought my refractometer to get it calibrated to see if it was still good...of course it wasnt..i was readi g 1.026 when i was really 1.022. What do i do? Just let it slowly evaporate or should.i do a water change and bring the salinity up?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Can't you calibrate it yourself?  All you need is ro water, then turn adjustment screw till it reads 1.000.  Unless i'm wrong and not all refractometers are calibrated that way.  Sorry for being off topic, just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
There is another thread somewhere on TFT that explains quite thoroughly about the calibration of refractometers. Using RODI water is not overly suggested and could possibly be why it is not calibrated properly to begin with. I'm not going to go in depth into this topic but if you google it I'm sure you will find many topics about it, possibly even the one on here.... Randy Holmes has a very good thread on it also....
Another I want to mention (even tho I said I wouldn't go on forever lol) is that if your salinity is going to go from 1.022 to 1.026 or something similar it is important to keep in mind that due to rules of chemistry you are going to experience changes in other parameters as well.... So something to keep in mind....

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Reef Hero link said:
There is another thread somewhere on TFT that explains quite thoroughly about the calibration of refractometers. Using RODI water is not overly suggested and could possibly be why it is not calibrated properly to begin with. I'm not going to go in depth into this topic but if you google it I'm sure you will find many topics about it, possibly even the one on here.... Randy Holmes has a very good thread on it also....
Another I want to mention (even tho I said I wouldn't go on forever lol) is that if your salinity is going to go from 1.022 to 1.026 or something similar it is important to keep in mind that due to rules of chemistry you are going to experience changes in other parameters as well.... So something to keep in mind....

Perhaps i should not have suggested ro water, as my refractometer calibration specifically calls for demineralized water, which is what i use. 

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
when I calibrate mine with 0tds rodi water it reads 1.026 with the calibration fluid.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I'm not going to get into the whole thing but I am not trying to say that calibrating with 1.0000 water will not give you accurate readings at 1.026 also.....like I said tho there is lots of info out there on this and it's important to understand how the refractometer works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
jeffopentax link said:
Don't think anyone is saying you're wrong, just sharing our methods :)

Jeff your method of calibrating to mineral water or any other "pure" water is wrong. Ben is correct.

For use in a saltwater aquarium you must calibrate to a standard salinity solutions in order to read true salinity levels

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Pretty sure my method is correct, at least according to the calibration instructions that came with my refractometer (though i was mistaken, it is distilled water)...
a4yru7un.jpg

u8a5udu8.jpg

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Your method is correct in that it is calibrating the unit.  It's just not calibrating the unit to the appropriate scale needed for a salt water aquarium.  Please read the article above to understand why your method is incorrect when calibrating refractometers for salt water aquarium use. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yup mine has those same instructions, calibrating with Ro throws it way off.. 1.0256 solution is what u should be using regardless of the instructions. Mine would read 1.025 calibrated with ro but salinity was really 1.20, after I calibrated it properly with the right solutions it works much better

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Thanks for posting that link. It's not a matter of being necessarily right or wrong.... It's about understanding how the refractometer works. By calibrating using only one specific gravity of liquid you are only verifying the refractometer at that specific point on the scale. Yes, a lot of them will in fact read perfectly from 1.000 to 1.035 in a straight line nailing all points dead on. However, it is important to understand that when a refractometer becomes miscalibrated it is because the line has either moved up or down or perhaps even has developed a curve in it. When this occurs the refractometer could still be accurate for 1.000 but not necessarily at other points along the scale. In order to 100% calibrate a refractometer and be sure it is correct, one would need to verify like 3-4 points along the scale.... Such as 1.000, 1.010, 1.020, 1.030, 1.035.... Because this is not very practical, the best method IMO and according to the article posted is to always calibrate and verify the refractometer for the point on the scale at which it will actually be used at.... In our case this is usually 1.026. All we care about is that the refractometer will read correctly at that point on the scale....