uncalibrated refractometer.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
reeferkeeper420 link said:
Lol i wondrr how many of us have uncalibrated readings from calibrating with RO water now...

Calibrating with 1.000 water (rodi or "pure") will not miscalibrate a refractometer.... The point is that if a refractometer becomes or is built miscalibrated (does not nail all points dead on in a straight line) by using a fluid which is very far off from what we are actually going to use to test then it may not be reading accurately....most will come brand new to read perfectly at all points in a straight line but it is important to realize that the miscalibration that we speak of is when the refractometer has an offset line or a curve. If anyone has not read the article posted then I seriously suggest you do. The man who wrote it has done a lot for this hobby and chose to share his knowledge with us all so we can have a great reefing experience!! :)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
[quote author=jeffopentax link=topic=8169.msg86307#msg86307 date=1395229993]
You are right, but the article suggests a difference of 0.0003 .  Doubt the fish can even notice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0.0003?

Maybe a second read ;)
[/quote]

My mistake.  I was referencing a table comparing readings of a salt refractometer and a seawater refractometer.  That article hurts my brain!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Calibrating with 1.000 water (rodi or \"pure\") will not miscalibrate a refractometer.... The point is that if a refractometer becomes or is built miscalibrated (does not nail all points dead on in a straight line) by using a fluid which is very far off from what we are actually going to use to test then it may not be reading accurately....most will come brand new to read perfectly at all points in a straight line but it is important to realize that the miscalibration that we speak of is when the refractometer has an offset line or a curve. If anyone has not read the article posted then I seriously suggest you do. The man who wrote it has done a lot for this hobby and chose to share his knowledge with us all so we can have a great reefing experience!! :)

Well said!