Vacation Blues

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I went on vacation last week and, of course, had to get a babysitter for all of my various tanks. My usual sitter wasn't available so we trained a new one. We also left a phone number of a member here who kindly agreed to help out if there was a problem. They did not contact the member.

I returned home today to fine my reef tank decimated of fish. She forgot to turn the return pump on after feeding for 24 hours and I have now lost my beautiful Copperband Butterfly, 6 Line Wrasse, Two Yellow Chromis, a Blue Chromis and my large Diamond Goby. :( :mad: :mad: The only fish left now are two Pyjama Cardinals. My Freshwater tank has lost two longstanding fish to overfeeding. The food is literally sitting on the bottom and I need to syphon it out. Grrr...

My corals appear to be okay but I guess we will see. Luckily all of my seahorses are okay but they are in a different system. I am quite bummed at the moment and wishing I hadn't left on holiday in the first place. The holiday was nice but I could have had just as much relaxation at home instead.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Very sad to hear. Hope everything bounces back for ya. The fish are more then fish after awhile...

Kyle1970

I agree with @bugger Get someone who knows tanks to look after tanks! Cost me $75 for a week but really it is piece of mind.
Sorry for the loss, think of the future.

Bayinaung

Sorry about your losses. I've come to accept that this is part of this hobby. It's amazing how much easier fresh water is and it tempts me back there at times! haha. It also reminds me to focus on what I gain from doing this and not the losses. and by extension, to life as well! thanks for sharing.

but I have my tank online so I can see the status of everything.

this is a good idea as well. I know some who use webcam livestreaming using youtube in a private channel. gives you ability to monitor things away from home.

heath

Distinguished Member
that is all well and good but, what do you do if you are hours away from home, I think that would be awful watching your tank to go to hell in a hand basket and not able to do anything about it...

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thank you all. My previous pet sitter has never had a problem looking after my tanks and even looked after very young seahorses when they were only 3 months old. Scubasteve can definitely relate to the difficulty of that. I would never hesitate to leave when she was looking after them but I won't be using this new one anymore. Sherry has kindly offered to help in the future. :)
I am not sure I can use any form of web based monitor since our internet is very limited. Although I absolutely love where I live, being out in the country has it's downfalls and internet is one of them. We also had no internet access where we were camping this time.
I haven't decided if I will restock the fish in this tank or not but I really miss my Copperband and Goby. Both of them had such personality. I loved watching them and my Copperband was over 4 years old and thriving on frozen mysis.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
What am I looking at with that link? Seems like a site for just your Tank???

To me it looks like Chrismayu was showing us what the internet monitor of his tank looks like so we would know what is available. I think it looks very interesting, just don't have the internet resources at my fingertips. Even my cell phone doesn't go onto the internet because it is too expensive (or was when I was looking). Someday when internet is more easily accessible to country users it may be more feasible for me. However, I was excited when switched companies and my internet was upgraded from 30 G per month to 100 G per month last year for less cost. It felt like I had just opened up the world. In comparison to city availability though it is only a small amount and I still have to ration our use.

Nighthawk26

To me it looks like Chrismayu was showing us what the internet monitor of his tank looks like so we would know what is available. I think it looks very interesting, just don't have the internet resources at my fingertips. Even my cell phone doesn't go onto the internet because it is too expensive (or was when I was looking). Someday when internet is more easily accessible to country users it may be more feasible for me. However, I was excited when switched companies and my internet was upgraded from 30 G per month to 100 G per month last year for less cost. It felt like I had just opened up the world. In comparison to city availability though it is only a small amount and I still have to ration our use.
That sucks.

To the question though, I have tried even googling the name in that URL and the only thing that comes up is his specific tank.

Had a power outage here on Friday night. Was about 2 hours and 45 min or so. Was a sort of dry run of a potential much worse situation. Stupid things like I have my mp40s on my DT upstairs on a battery backup. Then an hour into the outage it dawned on me. Frag tank in basement with purple tang. Stupid oversight. Nothing there. So had to pull racks out and put them upstairs and pull the purple and put him up there too even though I was not ready to do so yet. Been ww3 with him and the yellow since then.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Had a power outage here on Friday night. Was about 2 hours and 45 min or so. Was a sort of dry run of a potential much worse situation. Stupid things like I have my mp40s on my DT upstairs on a battery backup. Then an hour into the outage it dawned on me. Frag tank in basement with purple tang. Stupid oversight. Nothing there. So had to pull racks out and put them upstairs and pull the purple and put him up there too even though I was not ready to do so yet. Been ww3 with him and the yellow since then.

Oh dear! I hope they sort things out soon. I have a small gas powered generator that runs all of my tanks and the fridge if we have a power cut. Only works when we are home to get it started up though. What I would really like someday is one properly ties into the house that starts up automatically during a power cut. One more thing to save for...sigh...

Nighthawk26

That was exactly my discussion with the GF yesterday. Abiut the portable gas powered ones. I assume they are loud like a lawnmower? I may seriously look into those. Do they just have a few outlets? So I could run an extension Cord from .y eb8 in basement to it out the basement window and same from the DT? Assuming wattage requirements ate met? What about gas? How much does it use? Beyond that, my next house is getting a dedicated natural gas generator tied in. Zero questions.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Chrismayu

Website
reefsense.com
What am I looking at with that link? Seems like a site for just your Tank???
Yes it is my tank, but the site is designed for multiple tanks with each person able to see only their tank. I have thought of opening up the site to other people - if there is enough interest - I may be open to that. I have an arduino that send the data to the site. It is like Reef Angel but I built it myself.