Vacation Blues

Chrismayu

Website
reefsense.com
Yes it could, but I am assuming that apex can connect to the web and send out data. I have never had one to know. With the Arduino, I send out a JSON string and that moves all the data to the site. Maybe this winter i'll try to get my hands on one and test it out.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
That was exactly my discussion with the GF yesterday. Abiut the portable gas powered ones. I assume they are loud like a lawnmower? I may seriously look into those. Do they just have a few outlets? So I could run an extension Cord from .y eb8 in basement to it out the basement window and same from the DT? Assuming wattage requirements ate met? What about gas? How much does it use? Beyond that, my next house is getting a dedicated natural gas generator tied in. Zero questions

The gas powered generator is definitely loud like a lawnmower. It has 3 regular 60 amp outlets and 1 120 amp outlet for running the refrigerator and freezer. I have 5 different tank setups with all the accompanying pumps and lights and am able to run extension cords to run all of the return pumps, air pumps, lights and powerheads. I generally don't plug the skimmers in unless the power is out for a long time. We fill up the gas once a day and have gas remaining in the tank when we do fill up. I believe it is a Honda generator. We have even run some household lights in the evenings when needed. I have also used it to power a 2 burner hotplate and microwave for simple cooking while everything else is still running off the generator. The generator is able to handle everything we have plugged in with no issues. We have had it now for over 5 years and have never had an issue. It has been a life saver many times over.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Reef Controller for feed mode, and Automatic Feeders every time I go anywhere. hasn't failed me yet
Great idea but I still haven't figured out how to get an automatic feeder to thaw and feed frozen mysis. My copperband ate frozen mysis and I also have to feed my sea cucumber a concentrated phytoplankton.
Things get too complicated sometimes, don't they?!

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have like many an apex. Can it be configured got that too?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
You can also sign up with reeftronics.net, they monitor your tank and email/message you if they lose communications as when there is a power outage.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Here are two links for auto feeding I have stumbled upon that might be a good option for you.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/automatic-continuous-feeder-20896/

This one is way more high tech and is the one I am possibly looking at doing in time.

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/249-refrigerated-automated-feeding-system
Thanks for the info. I have a feeding pump that I was experimenting with a few years ago for my seahorses but the mysis got macerated inside the silicone tube that went around the black wheel of the pump and my seahorses wouldn't touch the food because it didn't look like a whole shrimp anymore. I haven't tried it for my reef tank but will begin experimenting again. Thanks for reminding me.

Kman

Super Active Member
The larger food is for sure an issue. I used to have a old school sea horse auto feeder plans and i will look for it. Mine you it was a long time ago so I might not have it anymore. It was in a magazine from the early 80's so I don't think I could find it online.