Vertex Bio Pellet Reactor RX-U 1.5 Modification

nexusnight

why do u want to reduce flow to the skimmer anyway? why not just reduce the amount of pellets u are going to use and controll levels that way..... just a thought. ive never been 100% on the reasoning behind this mod. i feel its for more controll and u are using the same amount of pellets but dial back the amount going back to the system would, the pellets not be in excess and just being wasted? just trying to figure out what makes a recirc pellet reactor "better?

benzzz

Its not a matter of reducing the flow to the skimmer. My sumps are set up with the first tank as dump and then filtered through Lr. Which then dumps into next sump to skimmer and then baffles and return chamber. Not having room in second sump for this reactor I tried to suck from sump one and dump beside skimmer intake in sump two. What happened was sump one became too low and flooded out sump 2 which my return pump couldnt keep up.....  make sense.

So with this mod, I thought
1. I could control flow into skimmer inlet properly
2. Control NO3 And  PO4 by just tweeking return throttle.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i dont think its required to have your bio pellets output near your skimmer. imo it makes no difference at all actually. you should just suck from sump one and return to sump one to be safe.

spyd

Super Active Member
I agree with Duke. It is the "preferred" method but not necessary at all. Darryl's reactor runs after the skimmer with no issues whatsoever. I think you are much safer keeping the input and output in the same sump.

As for the pump, I have mine t'd off my main pump as well. Water Blaster HY10000.

benzzz

ok.... So I wonder why so many people on many threads of different forums feed it directly near the skimmer

If you don't have the output going into your skimmer, you have the potential for an algae outbreak and/or bacterial booms in your DT won't you? By having it go directly into the skimmer you can drastically (if not completely) eliminate the potential of this issue happening.
Also from what I have read on simular issues, the bio pellets release some of their goo, and it's rich in nutrients which feeds algae. It's good for coral as they eat the slime as well, but I would rather control some of that and feed the coral via dosing.

Maybe I read too much......

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Pellets will feed your corals if all of the nutrients aren't pulled out by skimmer.

However will also feed algae like you said.

I wouldn't call dosing for corals feeding them, you are keeping things stable so that they are healthy and utilize some nutrients from water. (Nutrients being needed to survive)

Jewel

I Love that Sexy Vertex red, It's all the rage. LOL I have a JNS Alpha 2 I haven't used it yet but it looks pretty sweet. It has a water jet in the middle that forces the water to rotate the beads. Or so the video says.

benzzz

So after much more reading and reviews I mod my RX-U today.. There are too many pros against cons here and for the volume of water I have, I want to have some control over how much this thing is working.  The only down side I have heard is watch the return line doesn't get clogged. I went with 3/8 line instead of the seen 1/4 line that people use. Worst case scenario i change it back to the original way.

Adding a couple pics of my mod.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
benzzz link said:
ok.... So I wonder why so many people on many threads of different forums feed it directly near the skimmer

If you don't have the output going into your skimmer, you have the potential for an algae outbreak and/or bacterial booms in your DT won't you? By having it go directly into the skimmer you can drastically (if not completely) eliminate the potential of this issue happening.
Also from what I have read on simular issues, the bio pellets release some of their goo, and it's rich in nutrients which feeds algae. It's good for coral as they eat the slime as well, but I would rather control some of that and feed the coral via dosing.

Maybe I read too much......

i think this is all a bunch of myths, no algae or anything funky here at all ever, also no goo or slime ever. no pellet companies as far as i know mention anywhere that you should output the effluent anywhere near your skimmer.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
benzzz link said:
I understand your opinion but the point of this mod is to control how much the pellets eat nitrates.

i understand that but i was just replying to post you made regarding the reactor output location. i think recirculating reactors are a good thing, and yours looks pretty darn good.

Austin

Hmmm cant see the pics....I have a vertex reactor and am debating just regular carbon and gfo or pellets right now.

Jewel

I think when ever you have more control out of a reactor the better off you are. And you're right Duke manufactures don't say it should be close to your skimmers inlet but it is suggested in quite a few articles. I don't understand that comment because don't you want the effluent in the water collom?

benzzz

Untraceable no3 after 2 weeks of running ecoBAK. Just this week came up a bit .5 no3. Going to keepit between .5 and .25 tank is doing well. I also drip kalk/vinegar mixture.