Wavemakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitro069

I know this topic has been brought up before, but am looking for some input. thanks to Jordanhurst, after seeing his tank i have decided that I NEED a wavemaker of some sort. I like the tunze wavebox and the wave it makes but dont like the size of it. I was wondering what some of my other options would be based on your personal experiences, previous research and/or first hand accounts.

My tank dimensions are 75g 48x20x18. My tank is fairly full with liverock.
link to full tank shot for reference if needed
http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3868.0

does anyone use the tunze turbelle 6105 with the 7092 controller. Would this be sufficient??
What about the tunze nano wavemaker(specs say yes, reviews say no)
what about vortechs?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
you've read bad reviews on the Tunze Nano Wave Box? I dont think i've heard anyone anywhere ever say anything bad about them. Personally i love my Nano wave box, feel free to come check it out anytime in person if you'd like. Heres a video for now.

Tunze Nano Wavebox Reef Tank

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
I have the turbelle and the controller. ..nothing makes a wave like a real wavemaker....does he have the nano or the one up?

Jordan has the full size wavebox.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
nitro069 link said:
I know this topic has been brought up before, but am looking for some input. thanks to Jordanhurst, after seeing his tank i have decided that I NEED a wavemaker of some sort. I like the tunze wavebox and the wave it makes but dont like the size of it. I was wondering what some of my other options would be based on your personal experiences, previous research and/or first hand accounts.

My tank dimensions are 75g 48x20x18. My tank is fairly full with liverock.
link to full tank shot for reference if needed
http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3868.0

does anyone use the tunze turbelle 6105 with the 7092 controller. Would this be sufficient??
What about the tunze nano wavemaker(specs say yes, reviews say no)
what about vortechs?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments

Your tank is very similar to mine.......
I run the tunze nano wavebox......don't have anything bad to say about it......well except the price maybe haha....if you are worried about footprint and size of the Powerhead then you won't like the 6105..,,, and I must say that the 6105 is quite powerful for a 75....,, I would suggest 6095s if going with tunze.....but for footprint reduction, the mp40 would be strongly considered as well.....
I believe you can make waves with two tunze or two mp40...,, some one else can maybe chime in here as I use the wavebox as stated above......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i would go with the wavebox. 
i have the big one on my DT.. considering finding a nano for my frag table.  Im going to try the full size on it tomorrow i think just to see what happens.

theres one in the classifieds on AP right now.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
What is so special about having a wave in your tank? I know 90% of you guys use them, I just don't see whats so special? What are the benefits to having a wave in your tank over random flow a PH creates?

Is there no worries about stress on the tank due to a constant wave?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
BIGSHOW link said:
What is so special about having a wave in your tank? I know 90% of you guys use them, I just don't see whats so special? What are the benefits to having a wave in your tank over random flow a PH creates?

Is there no worries about stress on the tank due to a constant wave?

mine shuts off at night. lol.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
BIGSHOW link said:
LOL...that is special.

I have seen phenomal sps tanks without wave makers (Hayes & Bill@IA) Both are not using wavemakers, colour and growth are excellent.
On the other hand, Darryl uses a wavemaker and everyone knows how nice his tank is.

The important factor is randow flow, among other variables in having a successful reef tank.

Personally the constant sway from a wave maker, gives me sea-sickness :p

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i can see how the wavemakers are effective in moving water throughout the WHOLE tank, while alot of powerheads fail to do this.
but in my opinion the wave is too fake (by this i mean, the ocean doesnt remotely move like that) and i really dislike the look of it...
that being said, ive never owned one so its just an opinion of mine :)

nitro069

This is where I'm kinda stuck. I love the way the flow in the tank looks and the ability to get flow in places where typical powerheads have a difficult time doing so. But I dislike the looks of that big black box sitting in the tank.

Bigshow brought up a good point too.......has there been anything on the stress created on the tanks with the constant wave motion?

How loud would the vortechs be with the motor being external?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I run my nano wavebox 24/7 and I also have a 6095 mounted kitty corner to the wavebox that works opposite of it......I also have some 6055s mounted throughout my tank for the random flow......so I have a good wave with lots of random turbulence.....I run all this 24/7 but some power heads are turned down a bit....
My favorite is turning off all power heads except the wavebox, like I do during feeding, and look down from above :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
i can see how the wavemakers are effective in moving water throughout the WHOLE tank, while alot of powerheads fail to do this.
but in my opinion the wave is too fake (by this i mean, the ocean doesnt remotely move like that) and i really dislike the look of it...
that being said, ive never owned one so its just an opinion of mine :)

in my opinion.. your opinion kinda sucks dude.. which part of the ocean doesn't move like that? because it really does simulate the ocean fairly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbYXJcS3fs#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v23seT__l8k#ws

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Ya a wave box is totally natural.....the ocean does sway back and forth over the reefs and a wavebox reproduces this really well.  I love mine.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
in my opinion.. your opinion kinda sucks dude.. which part of the ocean doesn't move like that? because it really does simulate the ocean fairly well.

Alright, Ill respect your opinion....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm a wavebox fan too.  That said, I went from really shitty powerheads (korallias and aqueons) to a wavebox, and the difference was unbelievable.  I had the powerheads on random flow patterns plugged into the apex... aqueons just up and fail, and korallias don't like to be turned on and off (I think they have some now that are different).  I went and looked at some mp40's set up as a wave, and one of them whined like a little bitch.  That would drive me nuts.  I've had a used tunze for about a year and it's still dead silent.  Polyp extension on corals increased a LOT too when I switched, in fact the whole sps scene just started to work. 

The only thing that would make me feel better would be a backup pump in case this one fails on me, but other than a bi yearly cleaning (the box fills with snails), the thing is a 24/7 pwerhouse.  I have to admit it was seeing darryl's setup that sold me on it.  Bill @IA had one on his DT that was  horribly noisy and I thought they all were like that.  I think he just had a bad one.

I really don't worry about tank failure.  If it happens, it happens.  When I renovate the room I'm thinking of adding tile and a floor drain that just empties outside with a check valve. 

Status
Not open for further replies.