Wavemakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
The problem with waveboxes is the noise they can create with the overflow more so than the noise from the box itself.  If you have an overflow on one side of your aquarium and lots of flow from the return it fills and drains the overflow with every wave.  Ideally you want your overflow in the middle when using a wavebox.

I havent clean my tunze's in over 2 yrs and they just keep going and going and going.  I bought the wavebox and one stream used too ...im sure they are over 6yrs old.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Tunze is a well trusted name that is used worldwide......their products have performed A+ for me and I use their power heads, wavebox, osmo ato, and level alarms. Customer support (well Tunze USA anyways) is excellent as well.
I know I will take criticism for saying it, but Ecotech still has a lot to prove when compared to tunze.....not to mention vortechs are much more money.....
That said, ecotech did come up with a very interesting idea and I would really like to try out an mp40 sometime.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
The problem with waveboxes is the noise they can create with the overflow more so than the noise from the box itself.  If you have an overflow on one side of your aquarium and lots of flow from the return it fills and drains the overflow with every wave.  Ideally you want your overflow in the middle when using a wavebox.

I havent clean my tunze's in over 2 yrs and they just keep going and going and going.  I bought the wavebox and one stream used too ...im sure they are over 6yrs old.

+1..... I have an overflow on each side and the one on the far side from the wavebox can create noises sometimes unless I crank up the flow enough so the inner overflow chamber water level is only a couple inches lower than my tanks water level.....I use the prefilter overflow boxes that rely on the siphon tube so I like to keep the water level in the overflow just below the tank level because it won't build up micro bubbles in the siphon tube this is way as it would if you let it drain almost completely empty.....and these micro bubbles will build up in the siphon tube....really makes you think about matching your return to your drain method used, and with the wavebox now you have to think about your water level in the overflow going up and down.....

nitro069

Uggghhh. so many options. not sure what to do. do i get the nano wave maker which should work, buy a tunze with controller, buy an mp40, or go with the 2 mp10s i found used online for a decent price.  :-\

Anyone looking to get rid of any of these items?? ;D

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
LOL good luck.....when I was looking for tunze stuff I found it quite hard to come by and it seems to hold its value quite well according to most sellers haha
You face the same choices on equipment, additives, and whatever else there is as we all do lol......keep us informed of what you find or decide to go with!! I doubt you can go wrong with tunze or Vortech.....even korallias for the price are worth it and flow good too.....I used to use all hydor 3s....

nitro069

Reef Hero link said:
LOL good luck.....when I was looking for tunze stuff I found it quite hard to come by and it seems to hold its value quite well according to most sellers haha
You face the same choices on equipment, additives, and whatever else there is as we all do lol......keep us informed of what you find or decide to go with!! I doubt you can go wrong with tunze or Vortech.....even korallias for the price are worth it and flow good too.....I used to use all hydor 3s....

It seems no one wants to give that stuff away  :'(
I am really liking the fact that the vortechs take up so little room in the tank. may go with an mp40 but still not sure. either way, the price tag on anything i go with is  :poop: ty

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
That would give you a nice wave and then u could add a Vortech or two later......
Didn't you say you found a couple mp10s for a good price?....

nitro069

Reef Hero link said:
That would give you a nice wave and then u could add a Vortech or two later......
Yeah, I found 2 mp10w es for 150 each, not sure of condition though, waiting to hear back from seller.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nitro069 link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=4096.msg36952#msg36952 date=1358737240]
Yeah, I found 2 mp10w es for 150 each, not sure of condition though, waiting to hear back from seller.
[/quote]

i debated going that way.. but mp10's arent enough for a 90. Reeffreak had that setup and wasnt impressed with it at all.

nitro069

Duke link said:
[quote author=nitro069 link=topic=4096.msg36954#msg36954 date=1358738451]
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=4096.msg36952#msg36952 date=1358737240]
[/quote]
i debated going that way.. but mp10's arent enough for a 90. Reeffreak had that setup and wasnt impressed with it at all.
[/quote]
good to know, tried a couple youtube videos to get an idea of there flow and couldn't find anything good. one guy had two on the back wall and a koralia on the side. plus with 3/8 max glass thickness I also read that the magnets were kinda sketchy too.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
just a heads up... if your considering getting the used wavebox.. i will give you a day to message him..  im contemplating a second one.  lol
the price is right

nitro069

davesolo29 link said:
just a heads up... if your considering getting the used wavebox.. i will give you a day to message him..  im contemplating a second one.  lol
the price is right
lol thanks for the heads up, already messaged him waiting for a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.