Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So the LFS do not test GH/KH or magnesuim. The one place did not even know if they carry test kits for them and said they have an all in one API kit. They also are never able to get anything ordered in.

So... best place to buy it online would be???

B

Blob-79

Torx link said:
So the LFS do not test GH/KH or magnesuim. The one place did not even know if they carry test kits for them and said they have an all in one API kit. They also are never able to get anything ordered in.

So... best place to buy it online would be???

those 5 in test strips can come in handy, if you go thru a month or so being too buisy to spend much time on your tank, they are quick and easy tests. they give you a ballpark at least. I use em to keep tabs on nitrates. they do work, just how accurate..idk lol. Though evertime ive used them, and i notice my alk is a little low, and i double check with the hanna checker, yup it indeed is low.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That is a matter of conveinence and time though. God I hate living in this town, LoL. Cost more in gas then shipping. But takes longer to ship then to drive up and get it. Grrrr.

Was able to talk a LFS into ordering an alk and mag test for me. Will be here on Friday, no shipping  ::)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Good news to report today. Hammer is starting to reach out again. The rib look is completely gone and can not see the 'mouth' any more as they are extending out that far.

Did a water change and added about 15ml calcium in total since my original post. Picking up my alk test today to double check it and the magnesium test will be in Friday.

Long story short, calcium looks good now. An earlier post noted that I have no corals other then the hammer to use the calcium up unless I have a lot of coraline. My rocks are completely encrusted. Some, you can hardly see the rock itself. The coraline is thick and purple, red and/or white in spots.

DSC01372.jpg

DSC01369.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So picked up tests today. A Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit and Nutrafin Kh/Gh test kit. The rest are API.

Salinity 1.023
Mag is 1240
Kh is170
Nitrite = 0
Amm = 0.20
Nitrate = 0
Ph = 7.8
Cal = 440
Phos = <0.2

Hammer is still stubby, but waiving now. Zoas are good. Everything else seems good.

Z

Zakk

Torx link said:
So picked up tests today. A Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit and Nutrafin Kh/Gh test kit. The rest are API.

Salinity 1.023
Mag is 1240
Kh is170
Nitrite = 0
Amm = 0.20
Nitrate = 0
Ph = 7.8
Cal = 440
Phos = <0.2

Hammer is still stubby, but waiving now. Zoas are good. Everything else seems good.

Best thing for salinity is a refractometer, super easy and accurate.  Keep an eye peeled for a cheap one.  That said..

Salinity is a little low, but not terrible.
your PH is low, it should be 8.0 and up, but again, not a huge deal.
Are your phosphates .02 or .2?  This is a big difference.  I have phosphates of ~.03 and I can still get nuisance algae from time to time.  At .20 I would expect to get slime algae, and microbubbles all over the rocks.  That's way way too high.
Now your 'Kh' do you mean dKH... alkalinity?  If so, that number is actually PPM, which converts to a dKH of 9.52 which is perfectly fine.
Ammonia is high, it should be .00  It's a newer tank still cycling though isn't it?  That should go down on its own, but keep an eye on it.

So I would say it's a new tank, and you could use some sort of phosphate remover if that number is .20  Otherwise, time, patience and water changes.

Hey I'll throw this out there, when I used to use additives like seachem alk buffer and calcium, my frogspawn and torch would close up for a week or so, that stopped when I switched to kalkwasser and then 2 part.  Do you dose any of the powder stuff??  Just thinking out loud but I remember having things like this happen.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Tank has been up and running for about 8 months now.

My ammonia has never really hit 0. I knew that Ph was low, I was surprised to see it less then 8 as that is where it normally is.

Phos is <0.2 mg/L as the test is crap and goes from 0.0-5.0 mg/L. LoL. Not getting any algae problems at all really. I do get a white film on my glass after a few days though.

I have power kalkwasser, but have not started dosing.

I do vodka dose.

I am due for a water change tomorrow as it was last saturday when I did my last one. 45 gal DT and 20 gal sump, approx 55gal total volume and do 5 gal water changes.

xxmurrxx

You might want to check into a new ammonia test kit if you have never gotten a reading of 0 in 8 months. Or bring a sample to your LFS  see if they will test it for you and see if they get the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.