What do you feed Your fish and how often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Re: Question of the day

I'm looking a little more seriously at upping my coral feeding, specifically to boost colours, so I'm looking at all the options, amino acids included.

jroovers

Super Active Member

Salty Cracker link said:
I'm looking a little more seriously at upping my coral feeding, specifically to boost colours, so I'm looking at all the options, amino acids included.

A little of the AA goes a long way.  I think I put in three or four drops when doing a "feed".  The oysterfeast seems pretty good for SPS in my opinon, which Bill at IA carries. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

jroovers link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3318.msg28101#msg28101 date=1350575860]

A little of the AA goes a long way.  I think I put in three or four drops when doing a "feed".  The oysterfeast seems pretty good for SPS in my opinon, which Bill at IA carries.
[/quote]

I've been looking at grabbing some of that, I've been using reef roids and cyclopeeze for the sps, I have pretty good colour now but I figure there's always room for improvement.  Oh and hold a palmers for me, I'm trying to find a spot to put it, I will likely have to yank a colony to do it, the frag swap was pretty bountiful this year for me :)

jroovers

Super Active Member

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=3318.msg28103#msg28103 date=1350577701]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3318.msg28101#msg28101 date=1350575860]

[/quote]

I've been looking at grabbing some of that, I've been using reef roids and cyclopeeze for the sps, I have pretty good colour now but I figure there's always room for improvement.  Oh and hold a palmers for me, I'm trying to find a spot to put it, I will likely have to yank a colony to do it, the frag swap was pretty bountiful this year for me :)
[/quote]

Will do, just shoot me a PM when you want to come by

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

So what are the results on colour?  I'm game to try almost anything to take things to the next level.  I have wondered about the size of the cyclopeeze, and I do know the corals like the reef roids (put in a small amount, wait 10 minutes before putting in the rest, there are loooong polyps that come out of my millies.  Ones I don't ever see, so they must like it). 

That said, I'm also not looking for algae blooms.

Royal Aquariums

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Website
www.royalaquariums.ca

AZOX Macro Diet is made up of gutloaded zooplankton including nine types of copepods, two different rotifer strains, two different strains of brine shrimp nauplii, three different types of phytoplankton and an appetite stimulation ingredient. It is well suited for a wide variety of tank inhabitants, SPS, LPS and fish all seem to take a liking to it. Azox is more like, Oyster feast and cyclopeeze mixed into one as far as particle size goes.

jroovers

Super Active Member

Salty Cracker link said:
So what are the results on colour?  I'm game to try almost anything to take things to the next level.  I have wondered about the size of the cyclopeeze, and I do know the corals like the reef roids (put in a small amount, wait 10 minutes before putting in the rest, there are loooong polyps that come out of my millies.  Ones I don't ever see, so they must like it). 

Cyclopeeze is more of an LPS food IMO.  You need something smaller.  IMO the oysterfeast, or as mentioned previously the NutraKol (not sure if anyone in the London area carries it, Darryl passed some along to me previously from Toronto area I believe), is more in the applicable size range.  That said, nutrient load is nutrient load, so I wouldn't get too caught up in the semantics of "feeding" corals... just observe carefully and once you pinpoint your feeding amounts, both fish and otherwise, you'll get the feel of what is maximizing colour. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

jroovers link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3318.msg28121#msg28121 date=1350616982]

Cyclopeeze is more of an LPS food IMO.  You need something smaller.  IMO the oysterfeast, or as mentioned previously the NutraKol (not sure if anyone in the London area carries it, Darryl passed some along to me previously from Toronto area I believe), is more in the applicable size range.  That said, nutrient load is nutrient load, so I wouldn't get too caught up in the semantics of "feeding" corals... just observe carefully and once you pinpoint your feeding amounts, both fish and otherwise, you'll get the feel of what is maximizing colour.
[/quote]

I think NutraKol is available at NAFB, I split with a buddy on some. If this is the same stuff, it looks like carrot juice. At the time, there wasn't a lot of info out there about it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Okay so I upped the feeding and added in an amino acid supplement.  I can say that polyp extention at 1am is absolutely INSANE.  I had 3 millies that looked like they were cheerleaders pompoms.  Perhaps that says I was starving them beforehand.

There is definite colour improvement in 3 corals, no question, and quite quick. Those corals however had been doing fairly well without feedings.  I have 3 that had gone a very pale beige, and I'm watching them closely.  They have good polyp extension and growth but colour had pretty much completely gone.  These are the ones I will see if I can drastically improve.  Everything else looks unchanged except for the polyp activity.  Seriously, last night it looked like the whole tank was eating spaghetti. 

Also, so far no algae blooms of any kind either.  I'd love to be the guy with a tank like Darryl's but running just LED.  :)

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate

Salty Cracker link said:
Okay so I upped the feeding and added in an amino acid supplement.  I can say that polyp extention at 1am is absolutely INSANE.  I had 3 millies that looked like they were cheerleaders pompoms.  Perhaps that says I was starving them beforehand.

There is definite colour improvement in 3 corals, no question, and quite quick. Those corals however had been doing fairly well without feedings.  I have 3 that had gone a very pale beige, and I'm watching them closely.  They have good polyp extension and growth but colour had pretty much completely gone.  These are the ones I will see if I can drastically improve.  Everything else looks unchanged except for the polyp activity.  Seriously, last night it looked like the whole tank was eating spaghetti. 

Also, so far no algae blooms of any kind either.  I'd love to be the guy with a tank like Darryl's but running just LED.  :)

Just make sure you take before and after pictures. That will help you notice the colour changes as well.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3318.msg28577#msg28577 date=1351178578]

Just make sure you take before and after pictures. That will help you notice the colour changes as well.
[/quote]

I've got pictures of everything back to spring of last year.  Growth has been good since all of the frags were pretty much 1", but as the tank parameters improved, some of the corals def looked bland.  Unfortunately, I can't get the white balance thing right on my camera with the royal blue lighting, and that's when these things really shine.  The pictures don't AT ALL do the tank justice when the blues are on.  It's looking way better than when you saw it even. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate

I have a customer who is a professional photographer.  I should ask him about taking pictures with LEDs and if he has done it.  There has to be a proper way to set up the camera.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Big_Als_London link said:
I have a customer who is a professional photographer.  I should ask him about taking pictures with LEDs and if he has done it.  There has to be a proper way to set up the camera.

I'm thinking so....especially the red LED's.  But I could take fairly good shots under VHO, PC and metal halide lighting, but the camera just can't get the hang of the white balance in the blue tank, and I have tried and tried.  It seems the spectrum shifts a lot.  Maybe I need to set white balance without movement in the tank...

I should read the big thread over on RC before I give up too :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Salty Cracker link said:

Sounds like things are improving, imagine how nice it would look if you had T5s!
;)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3318.msg28577#msg28577 date=1351178578]

Sounds like things are improving, imagine how nice it would look if you had T5s!
;)
[/quote]

As nice as any shopping plaza for sure!  :mad:    ;)

B

Bill@IA

Salty Cracker link said:
........  I'd love to be the guy with a tank like Darryl's but running just LED.  :)

That is a terrific goal to shoot for and from what I am starting to see out there.....very possible. Your big advantage is that you started with frags under LEDs instead of converting established colonies to LEDs.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.