Status
Not open for further replies.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
1315dba_20.jpeg

Will see how things go.
I think I may have figured out my problem though.. It appears there is a pattern in the path of one of my mp40s. My acros are starting to get larger and as a result they are growing into the output. I also did a little re-aquascaping about a month ago. I chamged the postion of my mp40 and turned down the flow too. There are so many variables, its hard to isolate the cause.. i.e. this is whar frustrates me ;) but it is to conquer the challenge is the reason why we all are in this ;D

Jewel

Boy oh boy, lots of frustration out there, but like Tyler said, their are so many variables when trying to diagnos a problem, mine was easy sort of, I decided to take my bulk heads apart to seal that little leak and the noise of the return only to find out that the Plumbing on this tank is crap and worn out. Looks like i'm gonna have to replace it all. Better yet get someone in who knows what their doing and doesn't get frustrated. NO that won't work, can't afford it right now. Maybe I should put this tank in storage.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
Boy oh boy, lots of frustration out there, but like Tyler said, their are so many variables when trying to diagnos a problem, mine was easy sort of, I decided to take my bulk heads apart to seal that little leak and the noise of the return only to find out that the Plumbing on this tank is crap and worn out. Looks like i'm gonna have to replace it all. Better yet get someone in who knows what their doing and doesn't get frustrated. NO that won't work, can't afford it right now. Maybe I should put this tank in storage.

You can do it!!! You have to overcome the obstacles laid out in front of you in order to have a long term successful reef tank.....and the obstacles or chores never stop!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I agree Jim.  You can do it.

If you need any help just let me know.
I have plumbed my share of tanks now, thats for sure.
Can even drill it for bean animal or herbie if you want.

Jewel

It's frustratin the hell out of me, I drained the right overflow to get the plumbing off, no problems right? Wrong, when I took the return off on that side, well the other side moved they are joined, teed in the middle. I was sure the left was tight but no it wasn't It hadn't leaked on that side at all. Water started pouring out through the fitting and before i could get a bucket under it, I had 3 gallons under my stand.

Ya I know I have to take it all apart, I put it together not long ago and I still had to cut 2 Bulkheads off. It was easy cause I used my new Dremel and it worked great. The problem was that the rubber washers were missing from the Bulk head nut, I had asked on the AP forum if this was needed and they said no, I should of known, I've gotta get a few things but I'll have it back together this week And then I'm off to Rich in Waterloo for more Rock, Then I should be good to go.  Thanks for your offer to help Dave. I appreciate the offer Jim

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Jewel link said:
It's frustratin the hell out of me, I drained the right overflow to get the plumbing off, no problems right? Wrong, when I took the return off on that side, well the other side moved they are joined, teed in the middle. I was sure the left was tight but no it wasn't It hadn't leaked on that side at all. Water started pouring out through the fitting and before i could get a bucket under it, I had 3 gallons under my stand.

Ya I know I have to take it all apart, I put it together not long ago and I still had to cut 2 Bulkheads off. It was easy cause I used my new Dremel and it worked great. The problem was that the rubber washers were missing from the Bulk head nut, I had asked on the AP forum if this was needed and they said no, I should of known, I've gotta get a few things but I'll have it back together this week And then I'm off to Rich in Waterloo for more Rock, Then I should be good to go.  Thanks for your offer to help Dave. I appreciate the offer Jim

So have you decided to keep your tank and add some rock 8)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:

Hey Jim.  I can remember setting up my recent tank.  I moved everything by myself, working crazy late at night...in the middle of a house move with a wife 8 months prego's.  Finally getting it all in place and I realize I had a small leak in the bulkhead.....I had to move the tank to get too it so drain it go.  I also busted out the sump tightening that bulkhead....twice.  Remeber people 2" hayward bulkheads do not work well on 1/4" glass.  Also these bulkheads need to be tightened with a wrench (why my display leaked the first time and i broke the sump).

Believe me I have had those nights in the past where my back and head hurt but when you get it set up nice you are glad its all over and enjoy the tank.

The problem was that the rubber washers were missing from the Bulk head nut, I had asked on the AP forum if this was needed and they said no, I should of known
probably because anybody who is reasonable or halfway intelligent has given up on that site. :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
harleymike link said:
I put that fuel in twice a week teebone. It doesnt seem too hurt.

I am always leery about adding any supplement to my tank, but the immediate results I have seen with these amino acids is significant. Its like an instant colour enhancement almost overnight, totally noticeable after the second day. My tank must have been nutrient-stripped.

Jewel

There are so many additives we can put in our tanks, Ammino Acids, Supplements, etc,etc I think you have to get back to the basics. Which means excellent water quality, 0 Phosphates, 0 Nitrates, Balanced Calcium, Alkalinity and Magneseum. Keep your dosing accurate. When your perameters get out of whack wait let the tank even out. Don't be so quick to put that wonder supplement into the tank. We all know the recipee for succesfull Reef systems, Less fish and excellent water quality combined with good lighting and circulation, A primo skimmer doesn't hurt as well, Now we have Bio-Pellets, which aren't a nessesity but they do work. But these too come with the responsability to feeding the bacteria 

Jewel

Oh and yes Tyler I'll be keeping my tank, I'm not working right now and I've got to stop thinking about trying to find ways of generating cash, There are some things that should be off limits and I'm sure that many of you believe that your tank is just too important to you, more important than money anyways. I'll continue to build this system and concentrate on finding work. My wife is very supportive of our tank so should I be. I'll get those plumbing parts together then I'll get in touch with Dave to give me a hand. Thanks And Darryl I know there are going to be times when frustration will set in, It's those times where we just gotta step back, ask for help and in time try and laugh about it.  And yes I've been a member of the AP community for many years and I have met alot of nice people through it but I will be fequenting this site alot more now.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Jewel link said:
There are so many additives we can put in our tanks, Ammino Acids, Supplements, etc,etc I think you have to get back to the basics. Which means excellent water quality, 0 Phosphates, 0 Nitrates, Balanced Calcium, Alkalinity and Magneseum. Keep your dosing accurate. When your perameters get out of whack wait let the tank even out. Don't be so quick to put that wonder supplement into the tank. We all know the recipee for succesfull Reef systems, Less fish and excellent water quality combined with good lighting and circulation, A primo skimmer doesn't hurt as well, Now we have Bio-Pellets, which aren't a nessesity but they do work. But these too come with the responsability to feeding the bacteria

All very good points, but once you have acheived an ultra low nutrient system, you have to start putting something back in or corals will not grow, or will be bland.  I've even heard of people dosing phosphates into their tanks.  In fact, I don't rinse my mysis shrimp anymore, as I think the tank could do with a bit of phosphate (I run at 0.00 consistently).

However, very good advice!! :)

Jewel

Yes I agree, If we could only maintain a slight phosphate level of .02 Then we could just sit back and enjoy, I'm not a big fan of the Bio-reactors out there, A recirculating Reactor would work better one that would allow it to release the additive to the tank once the phosphate is above a certain limit. Same as a Calcium Reactor, It could be easily done.

nitro069

Duke link said:
my biggest frustration is lugging RODI water around. its heavy.
:mad: GRRRR :mad: +1

That and things will be running fine and for no apparent reason at all something goes south. For me its its that damn brown algae on the glass.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
nitro069 link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3992.msg35616#msg35616 date=1357838230]
my biggest frustration is lugging RODI water around. its heavy.
:mad: GRRRR :mad: +1

That and things will be running fine and for no apparent reason at all something goes south. For me its its that damn brown algae on the glass.
[/quote]

yeah! diatoms... i cant seem to get rid of the stupid crap either  :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.