what is the best way too frag zoas and polys

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Can paly's be ripped off of a rock? Or is a razor the best way to remove them from the rock (without busting up the rock)? I've got a few hundred heads I want to remove from the side of an enormous rock.... a rock that I would very much like to keep intact. Using a razor on each small group sounds cumbersome and I don't look forward to the process at all.
i use something thin to pull off bunches at a time then just cut where i need to separate..... cutting head at a time is too time consuming unless you only want a couple

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I ended up scraping along the rock work with a razor the best I could. Got a little container full of 2-3 polyp frags. Smothered the rest of the colony with kalk paste and let it sit for half an hour with zero flow.... fingers crossed that does the trick and kills most of it...

clint

I usually use a sharp, sturdy paring knife and slice into the rock and under the polyps leaving a sliver of rock still attached to the zoas/palys. Then crazy glue to new surface. Works best with pourous rock, but can be used to slice off the polyps only off of base rock/frag plugs.