Not open for further replies.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Big_Als_London link said:
rainbow monti or multi-coloured monti would be my guesses.

BINGO!

rainbowmonti.jpg

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I have a monti I bought as pokerstar it had green and some orangish polyps around the edges and blue base when I picked it up from dwayne. Now it's look identicle to Ricks rainbow picture  Mike can vouch for that he seen it the other night. So why's the different ? I honestly think its a pokerstar that has changed polyp color.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Rick used to call rainbow montipora , pokerstar montipora.

The difference being that pokerstar montipora has a blue base and nothing but green polyps and a rainbow montipora has a blue base, green polyps but also red and orange polyps around the growth edge.

Just like superman montipora there are slightly different versions and quality of this coral.  I have two rainbow montiporas....one is nice and grows at a good clip while t

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I have a hybrid then lol , you can see in the pictures above the green polyps blue base was couple weeks after i bought it .. the next picture is what it looks like now in my display 8 months between the different pics but same coral. Personally I think its the same coral just higher or lower light exposure will change the polyps.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
like i said the rainbow monti only has orange/red polyps on the growing sections....so a frag may not show the rainbow polyps for a while.  I had a fr

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
like i said the rainbow monti only has orange/red polyps on the growing sections....so a frag may not show the rainbow polyps for a while.  I had a fr

Don't be shy, you can finish your sentence :p

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:

so does a poker star and normally has green polyps but new growth shows red-yellow polyps around the edges Im going to stick with , its the same coral just differences under high light low light will give you that difference in polyp color, from what Ive witnessed this is my conclusion.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
post #8

The difference being that pokerstar montipora has a blue base and nothing but green polyps and a rainbow montipora has a blue base, green polyps but also red and orange polyps around the growth edge.

a pokerstar will not get any other colour polyps but green.....thats it.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Rick used to call rainbow montipora , pokerstar montipora.

Just like superman montipora there are slightly different versions and quality of this coral.  I have two rainbow montiporas....one is nice and grows at a good clip while t

i would say that's def a debatable topic, a quick good search of both shows many variants of both.. but most photos of pokerstar monti you find show a blue base with green polyps turning red/orange around the outer edges, just like a rainbow monti.. IMO same coral different name.

Heres a few i found that seem to be from reputable people.

Tyree Pokerstar Monti

IMG_3277-2.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3277-3.jpg

another from a different source

pokerstar2.jpg

pokerstar.jpg

and heres Tyree Rainbow Monti..

maoct052008tankpic31a.jpg

2730213633_2b24999d54_o.jpg

Darryl_V

Super Active Member

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
post #8

I will argue this that my pokerstar has red/yellow polyps on new growth along with green polyps covering a majority of the colony not a frag, before it was moved into high light then all polyps changes to yellow/orange with a blue base and from the original pic I posted you cant say its not a pokerstar

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4735.msg44645#msg44645 date=1363275194]
post #8

I will argue this that my pokerstar has red/yellow polyps on new growth along with green polyps covering a majority of the colony not a frag, before it was moved into high light then all polyps changes to yellow/orange with a blue base and from the original pic I posted you cant say its not a pokerstar
[/quote]I can say its not a pokerstar just like you cant say its not a rainbow  :?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
yes....its completely debatable and people have used the name of pokerstar for a rainbow monti....but never rainbow monti for a pokerstar.

These are made up names....its not perfect.  But there are two different montipora....one with nothing but green polyps and one with green,red and orange polyps.  They should have different names, no?

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/sps-identification-database/100033-pokerstar-montipora.html

i agree, that one is different, Heres one from an ID thread on reef central, the guy calls it Pokerstar/Rainbow Monti Danae implying they are the same

IMG_9287.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.