what is the name of this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Really guys....it doesnt matter.  Call it what you like.  To me if it has 3 different colour polyps "rainbow" montipora makes more sense.

So what do you guys call the version with nothing but green polyps.....you will need a new name for that one now..haha

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've got 2 versions of the 'rainbow' monti, one from darryl and one from someone who said it was pokerstars.  Both change colour, but one had 2x as much blue base, and the other has many many more polyps.  I'm good with calling them both rainbow.

They are an extremely fast growing coral however.  Grew up to a millie, then grew all the way around the base before attacking.  Very clever.  It attacks with a thick cotton candy goo at night. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Really guys....it doesnt matter.  Call it what you like.  To me if it has 3 different colour polyps \"rainbow\" montipora makes more sense.

So what do you guys call the version with nothing but green polyps.....you will need a new name for that one now..haha

I agree, rainbow monti is more fitting.. but i still think that "most" people consider Pokerstar Monti to be the green polyp with red/orange polyps around the new edges and new growth.. same as the rainbow monti.

Tyree doesnt list a Tyree Pokerstar Monti on his site.. i saw that too.. but there sure are a heck of alot of online retailers selling Tyree Pokerstar Montis.. just goes to show.. a name is only a name and nothing more..

I bought a huge maricultured pokerstar from Coral Reef Shop.. its got the red/orange polyps .. im going to refer to it as a rainbow monti from now on tho because your right.. its 3 colored or more.. and surely looks rainbow ish.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
like I said there are different versions of these corals.....generally its the colour pattern that will dictate if you want stick with what name.

Encrusting monti's pack a punch for sure.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Who has both pokerestar monti and rainbow monti frags ????? I will buy frags of both and place them in the same spot in my tank and see what happens my guess is they will both be the same a few months down the road. Im sticking with high and low light exposure will change the polyps this is where the difference is.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
reeffreak link said:
Who has both pokerestar monti and rainbow monti frags ????? I will buy frags of both and place them in the same spot in my tank and see what happens my guess is they will both be the same a few months down the road. Im sticking with high and low light exposure will change the polyps this is where the difference is.

I think the difference is growth speed.  The faster it grows, the more red.  The slower it grows the more green :)

I have a superman monti that was dark red polyps, then went green/red when I changed my lights over.  Really weird.  I almost think it's a 3rd rainbow monti in there now that I really look at it. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Really guys....it doesnt matter.  Call it what you like.  To me if it has 3 different colour polyps \"rainbow\" montipora makes more sense.

my supplier calls it ultra man Monti lol

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
Who has both pokerestar monti and rainbow monti frags ??? ?? I will buy frags of both and place them in the same spot in my tank and see what happens my guess is they will both be the same a few months down the road. Im sticking with high and low light exposure will change the polyps this is where the difference is.

Heres mine.. sold as pokerstar.. could be a rainbow too tho? Heck this could have been a piece from the original Tyree rainbow Frag.. or not.. thats the problem with coral.. lineage is very hard to trace back and without 100% reliable and accurate accounts.. everything can be taken with a grain of salt.

this is the day i got it so its kinda hurting looking compared to now.

008_zpsb822218a.jpg

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
Is that what i have ?  I call a blob ?....from bigshow

i believe you have what many online call the reverse pokerstar... but bigshow calls it green with blue polyp monti..

i have it also..

044_zps841f1165.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.