Zeovit

nexusnight

Anyone run a zeovit system? I don't have anything setup on the new tank yet and have been trying to decide what to do. Was planning on carbon and Gfo thought about pellets but not a big fan of them. Started researching zeo and really like the results peeps are getting and the system sounds pretty good. No Gfo is to be run only carbon and the rest of the system they offer. Anyone have thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

curiousphil

Super Active Member
It seems like a neat system, and has resulted in lots of really great looking tanks... I have no other thoughts on the matter...

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
The full zeovit does work. No question about that. However, it is a very unique approach and i dont know many people doing it. I have a friend in michigan who is full zeo and it is working great for him. From my understanding, this system is ulns only and so imo probably designed for sps more than lps.....however the fact is that it does work well. If you want me to try to get you in touch with my friend i can....just let me know.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I only go with what works, and the thought of taking GFO out of the system makes me think back to the ticking timebombs I used to have... (old tank syndrome).  For me, pellets, carbon and gfo until I have some huge crash that I can directly link to any of the three (and I somehow doubt I could).

I have to say I was really skeptical about pellets, but running 3ppb of phosphate tells me it can't all be GFO...  So who knows, 5 years from now we all may be running zeovit (but I really doubt it). 

curiousphil

Super Active Member
From what I've read about the zeovit system, the zeolites work along the same lines of GFO and cat litter.  They are highly absorptive, porous material that would suck nutrients out of the system in addition to hosting bacteria in their pores.  Seems kind of like GFO and biopellets all in one solution...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
curiousphil link said:
From what I've read about the zeovit system, the zeolites work along the same lines of GFO and cat litter.  They are highly absorptive, porous material that would suck nutrients out of the system in addition to hosting bacteria in their pores.  Seems kind of like GFO and biopellets all in one solution...

but the more I read, the more I look at it like a company didn't like people using "bulk" additives, so put something in a pretty (expensive) package to try and capitalize on the success that GFO is enjoying.

Still, if it's German made, there might be something to it.  Those damn Germans ROCK at reef systems  ROCK!!!  (Long live the Berlin method!!)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
theyangman link said:

It's nonsense because it's on the zeovit website.  I'm definitely not going to believe anything that's posted on there.

Like AP where anything "bad" posted about a vendor gets removed and the offender's account deleted... reading AP you would think that "he who shall not be named" was a real upstanding guy. lol 

theyangman

Distinguished Member
It was meant to give the OP a general idea of what THEY think their product does. Reviews are a dime a dozen by users. These are their claims on what the product is supposed to do. Didn't seem like OP was clear on this product.

Now whether or not this product lives up to its claims in not my department. But the article does lay out their blueprint pretty clearly.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
theyangman link said:
It was meant to give the OP a general idea of what THEY think their product does. Reviews are a dime a dozen by users. These are their claims on what the product is supposed to do. Didn't seem like OP was clear on this product.

Now whether or not this product lives up to its claims in not my department. But the article does lay out their blueprint pretty clearly.

right, but I'm saying that if the OP said "this stuff sucks, and here's a 10 page essay why" it would have been deleted.  Also, it seems to be an awfully in-depth post from someone who is supposedly trying to give 'layman terms' on a product that is so new.  Like I said, if the product ends up being good I'll buy it, but I'd want to hear it from someone like Darryl (unless I see him in a zeovit t-shirt) ;) 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I've read a few zeo threads on reefcentral, the dosing regime and cost is just too much hassle.. When ur dosing 10+ things daily.. Some by the drop with alternating schedules it leaves too much to question if problems arise for me. Nice looking tanks tho, if u like that easter pastel color look.

And i thought most of the benz these days are made in Mexico?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
20sd845.jpg

Pretty sure there is a chat room integrated into the site for you guys to chat in.

nexusnight

So upon further research zeovit costs way to much for me. And it's a lot of extra work. I like less work. I'm going to set up bio pellets this weekend. Anyone use the kick start bacteria to get them rocking? I've read good things about the start up bacterias. My tanks just finished its cycle so I guess I'll wait a little longer for the pellets to cycle too right? I want to add cuc but should I wait?
Also is Gfo necessary with pellets? I've read U don't want to strip or remove every last bit of phos cause corals need some to calcificate right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I would say if you want lps be easy on the gfo, if you want sps then crank up the gfo and the pellets.

I didn't "jumpstart" the pellets, how do you know it's even the right bacteria you're putting in?  I think it will self populate pretty quick (read don't buy something that is free from nature) :)

In seawater there is something like .0000003 ppm phosphate and the corals do fine in there.  I am aggressive with GFO and pellets and I'm .003 ppm so there's always some there. 

I just never recommend not running gfo if you get what I'm saying...but my lps definitely don't thrive in the DT :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
It definitely works to some degree but is it worth it.  Not in my opinion.  First of all it is a carbon dosing system similar to prodibio, vodka or pellets.  The zeolite rocks are an original idea but there is a lot of science that say they cant do what is advertised in a saltwater aquarium.  But I will say that the zeovit method is really unparallelled at being able to get to super low nutrient levels in the aquarium but at that point you need to start dosing all the crazy blue bottles to put the wanted nutrients, minerals and god knows what else is in those bottles, back into the water column.  This is a huge balancing act (as if keeping an SPS aquarium the KISS way wasnt bad enough) and more than few people have gone f'd up and toasted their tank using zeovit.

The mark up on those little bottles has to be ultra high.  No one really knows whats in them and descriptions are laughable.  Sure he could make the system more simple with less products but chooses not to.  Just on the way zeovit is run that way I would never use it, although a few products can come handy even in non zeovit tanks.....but again not needed if your doing things right.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
"And Darryl_V came down from the mountain and told his followers, "you shall heed my commandments for they are direct from the Lord" and written on the tablets from God was "Zeovit is junk" and all the followers fell to their knees in praise and joy for they now knew the truth."

charlton-heston-as-moses-in-the-ten-commandments.jpg

We now know the truth!

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Im not sure how I feel about that post but zeovit is probably about as hooky as the ten commandments.  Well actually zeovit is probably a little more believable.