jroovers

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
Some more photos

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

Amazing.  The colours are incredible.  You've obviously hit the sweet spot for both your SPS and Chalices, which can't be that easy to do.    :drool:

For your candlelight acro/aculeus, what have you found in terms of it's preference for light and flow?  Mine has been a bugger in terms of encrusting, seems to be happiest at the bottom of my tank with moderate to moderate/slow flow.

jroovers

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
The Aculeus is pretty high up in the tank same with my candlelight acro both with med/low flow.

How much lighting do you have again?  I've been hesitant to move mine up any higher than near the bottom (under 4 x 54 w T5's and 2 x 24 Cree RB's).  Mine has coloured up nice but just doesn't seem to want to encrust and really take off in terms of growth.  Maybe I'll consider moving a piece higher to see how it does.

Anyway, amazing job, tank looks phenomenal.  Getting that collection together is one thing, but getting it together and having it all look as good as it does is something else. 

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
jroovers link said:
[quote author=BIGSHOW link=topic=3071.msg56999#msg56999 date=1375229467]
The Aculeus is pretty high up in the tank same with my candlelight acro both with med/low flow.

How much lighting do you have again?  I've been hesitant to move mine up any higher than near the bottom (under 4 x 54 w T5's and 2 x 24 Cree RB's).  Mine has coloured up nice but just doesn't seem to want to encrust and really take off in terms of growth.  Maybe I'll consider moving a piece higher to see how it does.

Anyway, amazing job, tank looks phenomenal.  Getting that collection together is one thing, but getting it together and having it all look as good as it does is something else.
[/quote]

I am running a 10x80w powermodule.  If you got a PAR meter I can measure the PAR for you.

Thanks for the kind words.  It has been a bit of a struggle to find the right conditions for both LPS and SPS. 

jroovers

Super Active Member
That is not a bad idea, I've never measured my par.

In terms of the LPS and SPS together and thriving like that, without a doubt it looks like the struggle is over!

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
Agreed, tough to balance a happy tank with chalice and sps, you need to share your secrets ;)

Looks great!
Spend a truck load on chalices and put them in an SPS tank.  You are almost forced to figure it out.....but probably at the cost of a few beauties.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=3071.msg57030#msg57030 date=1375236872]
Agreed, tough to balance a happy tank with chalice and sps, you need to share your secrets ;)

Looks great!
Spend a truck load on chalices and put them in an SPS tank.  You are almost forced to figure it out.....but probably at the cost of a few beauties.
[/quote]

Your right, it took some time and I had some losses, but I think I have most things in harmony now.  I am sure you went through the same mix with your tank.  Always takes time to find the sweet spot.  I think I could avoided some of the losses if I was home, being gone for 2 weeks every month and managing a large system with high end corals is very difficult and costly.

Also, having 500g of water is a big help for me. :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have to agree... chalice seems to like it a bit more "dirty" than sps.

Plus I've noticed it sometimes takes months or a year for chalice to start growing, like it give a big WTF when it gets cut/moved/etc and then just one day decides it's okay to start growing again.  No wonder they cost so dang much.