BIGSHOW'S 550g reef system

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
yup, Chalice are some of the worst for LPS corals I have kept (slow growing and finicky).  Occasionally I lose an Acan colony, but not very often. 

The trick I have found with Chalice, is to just leave them alone.  Don't keep moving them around.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Giglio324 link said:
What is your bulb configuration?

Display tank is
Blue +
Blue +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +

Frag tank is similar except I have x2 Purple + and only x1 Coral + (the rest Blue +).  Both lights are 10 bulb configurations.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=3071.msg57030#msg57030 date=1375236872]
Agreed, tough to balance a happy tank with chalice and sps, you need to share your secrets ;)

Looks great!
Spend a truck load on chalices and put them in an SPS tank.  You are almost forced to figure it out.....but probably at the cost of a few beauties.
[/quote]

In fairness to Dave, has to be more than just a numbers game.  It can't simply be a buy and replace strategy, his sps and lps both look pretty darn happy.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
jroovers link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3071.msg57087#msg57087 date=1375292440]
Agreed, tough to balance a happy tank with chalice and sps, you need to share your secrets ;)

Looks great!
Spend a truck load on chalices and put them in an SPS tank.  You are almost forced to figure it out.....but probably at the cost of a few beauties.
[/quote]

In fairness to Dave, has to be more than just a numbers game.  It can't simply be a buy and replace strategy, his sps and lps both look pretty darn happy.
[/quote]You missed the post where I was said I was speaking more about my personal experience than Dave. 

Giglio324

BIGSHOW link said:
[quote author=Giglio324 link=topic=3071.msg57080#msg57080 date=1375290766]
What is your bulb configuration?

Display tank is
Blue +
Blue +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +

Frag tank is similar except I have x2 Purple + and only x1 Coral + (the rest Blue +).  Both lights are 10 bulb configurations.
[/quote]
I got 2 more blue bulbs on order i knew i needed more

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
People get a little thrown back by the Blue + bulb.  This bulb puts out a tonne of par.  Although the spectrum isn't very close to 10k it does provide enough PAR to grow corals.

spyd

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
People get a little thrown back by the Blue + bulb.  This bulb puts out a tonne of par.  Although the spectrum isn't very close to 10k it does provide enough PAR to grow corals.

I agree completely. It is not a straight atinic bulb.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=3071.msg57123#msg57123 date=1375316693]
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3071.msg57087#msg57087 date=1375292440]

Looks great!
[/quote]

[/quote]You missed the post where I was said I was speaking more about my personal experience than Dave.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

That is a lot of blue plus bulbs. Hopefully you get a bulk discount when it is time to change em out.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Taking some photos late tonight and I noticed one of my scoly's has neon orange feeders...

IMG_3681.jpg

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
spyd link said:
BigShow off.....  :p

Corals are looking awesome!!! Can't wait to get my hands on that Matrix!!!! Are those acans new?

LOL.

Matrix is nice.  Took a good while for the colours to really come out, a show piece for sure.