BIGSHOW'S 550g reef system

spyd

Super Active Member
I'm just curious, with all the evaporating water, do you any moisture issues in your place? That is a whole lot of water! I found installing a HRV unit has solved all my humidity issues in the house.

R

reeffreak

spyd link said:
I'm just curious, with all the evaporating water, do you any moisture issues in your place? That is a whole lot of water! I found installing a HRV unit has solved all my humidity issues in the house.

I read in the thread somewhere he did plan on adding a HRV unit if he has not already done it ... My questions is for someone who doesnt own the place there living what is the best way to deal with moisture . I cant add an HRV unit to my place but I do have a lot of moisture asnd the only thing I could think of is turning on my little dehumidifier, but that just evaporating water from my tanks like crazy .. I hjave turned it on for a day but had to top off half way threw the day .

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Hey Guys,

I just have a dehumidifier going at the moment, humidity stays around 55%.

I am going to do an HRV system  Derek: How much did yours cost? and who did it for you? (you can PM me this info if you like)

....Still waiting on shipment due to weather, hopefully early next week!

Thanks for the compliments everyone

Dave

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
I read in the thread somewhere he did plan on adding a HRV unit if he has not already done it ... My questions is for someone who doesnt own the place there living what is the best way to deal with moisture . I cant add an HRV unit to my place but I do have a lot of moisture asnd the only thing I could think of is turning on my little dehumidifier, but that just evaporating water from my tanks like crazy .. I hjave turned it on for a day but had to top off half way threw the day .
Well with lower humidity in the house your tank will evaporate more but that is unavoidable unless you leave your house with high humidity which will do a number on the windows etc.  For someone who is renting I suggest leaving the bathroom fans on in the winter and running the dehumidifier in the summer.

For someone with an HRV its still better to use a dehumidifier in the summer (they are more efficient in warmer weather and in the summer the air outside is humid so the HRV doesnt work well, also the temperature difference isnt great enough for the HRV in the summer).  And run the HRV in the winter...

spyd

Super Active Member
Absolutely right Darryl. You don't want to run the HRV unit in the summer months as it will be counter productive. I have a dehumidifier set up in my furnace / fish room for the summer months. I had it run on a timer for 2 hrs a day which seemed to be enough without causing my tank excessive evaporation.

I got my HRV unit installed from a local HVAC company. Advanced Air, in Stratford. The cost was not excessive or anything. I think it was $1200 installed. It works great in the winter months. http://www.vanee-ventilation.com/eng/air_exchanger_bronze.html Even this one would be enough. http://www.vanee-ventilation.com/eng/air_exchanger_60h.html for your place. You want them to run at a low CFM and not turn on and off constantly, so the smaller the better. You REALLY do notice the fresh air that comes in the house.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Painters%20Macro.jpg

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Thanks Darryl.

I did lose 3 out of the 10.

The others are doing great and show no signs of pealing.  Hopefully they are still good when I get back and I can start to frag a few of them.

Due to the costly price of these pieces I want to be sure they keep there colour and will not "melt" away on people before posting them for sale.