Phil's 90g SPS dominant reef (aka The Electric Reef Project)

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Yeah I read that too, you need to multiply the end value by approx 25 percent.  I'm still getting abyssmal readings even accounting for that lol.  78 max before math, 122 after.  Goal being >250.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
curiousphil link said:
Yeah I read that too, you need to multiply the end value by approx 25 percent.  I'm still getting abyssmal readings even accounting for that lol.  78 max before math, 122 after.  Goal being >250.
You should bring it by the store sometime.  I would like to see what the par is on the front display tank.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nexusnight link said:
i read an article on testing par and i tink theres some math to do. the apogee meters dont read certain wavelengths from led very well and either over or under rate the value. google it and im sure u can find it. It was all gibberish to me really but might be what u need?

this is true but i dont think its 25%, but they give the values on their actual site, one of the advertised purposes is testing reef aquarium lighting. most numbers people post online for comparison are just posting what the meters say without any adjustments too im pretty sure. you can plug it into a computer and log your par values over the course of the day too..

http://www.apogeeinstruments.co.uk/aquarium-par-meters/

http://www.apogeeinstruments.co.uk/light-intensity-measurements-for-light-emitting-diodes-leds/

nexusnight

LED
Electric Calibration Error [%]
Blue (448 nm peak, 10 nm FWHM)
Green (524 nm peak, 15 nm FWHM)
Red (635 nm peak, 10 nm FWHM)
Cool White
Neutral White
Warm White
Red, Blue Mixture
Red, Green, Blue Mixture

So do u just need to add the percentage that is missing? not sure how this works but would like to learn, sorry to derail this tank thread maybe we need one for the meter for review and how to?

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks for that second link Duke, I hadn't seen that one before.  I remembered the 25% value from some thread I read on RC ages ago.  The MQ-200 manual says to adjust for a 12.7% correction error against 448 nm LEDs so I figured the 25% would be a best case overall.  Understanding that it would overestimate my PAR.  And even using that correction % my PAR is abyssmal.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks for that second link Duke, I hadn't seen that one before.  I remembered the 25% value from some thread I read on RC ages ago.  The MQ-200 manual says to adjust for a 12.7% correction error against 448 nm LEDs so I figured the 25% would be a best case overall.  Understanding that it would overestimate my PAR.  And even using that correction % my PAR is abyssmal.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=curiousphil link=topic=5145.msg78015#msg78015 date=1390520938]
You should bring it by the store sometime.  I would like to see what the par is on the front display tank.
[/quote]

Ya for sure Aaron.  You want to measure the tank with the Marineland LEDs, right? Cus I'm pretty sure I remember you saying that you already had the big frag tank measured.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
curiousphil link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=5145.msg78018#msg78018 date=1390523239]
[quote author=curiousphil link=topic=5145.msg78015#msg78015 date=1390520938]
[/quote]

Ya for sure Aaron.  You want to measure the tank with the Marineland LEDs, right? Cus I'm pretty sure I remember you saying that you already had the big frag tank measured.
[/quote]aquatic life LEDs but yes sir

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
The PAR readings seem very low.....if you are growing acros under only 125 PAR then there has to be more math or something to it.... Some of my Acros are seeing around 750+ PAR and my open lit sand bed is 250+.....this is of course with all t5 lighting.....I would be interested to see PAR readings on SaltyCrackers and Dukes LED tanks since they seem to be growing sps.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have done my whole tank.. It's been a while but I was around 600 at the waterline, 400 to 500 where most of my coral is and 200 to 300 on the sand. These were just the readings from the meter on artifical lighting iirc.. No adjustments.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I'm not really growing acros, thats the thing lol :p.  Most are sitting there stagnant.  I've got good growth on my montis but the only acro I'm getting any growth on is a bit on the aculeus - but Jordan did say that it prefers low light!

None of my royal blues have lenses right now so I'm thinking thats probably a big factor.  Everything will be lensed up after my revamp.  I know that Salty has a literal shitload of RB LEDs and they are all lensed.  Duke has a few more RB LEDs than I do and I don't know what his lense situation is.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
No I didn't, but I would like to!  My meter has a mini usb port on it.  Where did you get the driver from?  Is it just on the Apogee website?

KBennett

curiousphil link said:
I'm not really growing acros, thats the thing lol :p.  Most are sitting there stagnant.  I've got good growth on my montis but the only acro I'm getting any growth on is a bit on the aculeus - but Jordan did say that it prefers low light!

How many LEDs do you have of each colour?  I'm in the same boat.  I have about half the number that I plan on.  I can grow monti and birdsnest very well, but my acros grow very slowly.  The colours aren't browning out or anything though.  I was thinking it was high PO4 instead of PAR that was my problem....

curiousphil

Super Active Member
KBennett link said:
[quote author=curiousphil link=topic=5145.msg78119#msg78119 date=1390574691]

How many LEDs do you have of each colour?  I'm in the same boat.  I have about half the number that I plan on.  I can grow monti and birdsnest very well, but my acros grow very slowly.  The colours aren't browning out or anything though.  I was thinking it was high PO4 instead of PAR that was my problem....
[/quote]

Currently have 36 RB, 18 NW, 16 violets (6 405nm, 10 430nm), and 10 OCW. 

After the revamp I'll have 20 NW, 52 RB, 8 OCW, 20 430nm violets, 16 405nm violets.

And then I have 2 Blue Plus T5 bulbs as well, one on either side of my LED fixture, to help provide a more consistent light spread.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
My existing setup doesn't have a lot of violet but the new one def does.  But agreed that may account for the low par reading... it's unfortunate that the PUR for corals is in a range that is read poorly by these meters... but the readings are good info nonetheless.

Pulled my hood off tonight and started the upgrade project.  Also got about 75-80 lbs of liverock from pulpfiction today - thanks man it really looks like great rock, I'm excitied to add it.  Have it cycling in a bucket right now, may start adding it to the DT one piece at time in a week or two.  Not only do I have to wait for it to cycle but I have to plan out the aquascape changes :).