180 gallon build.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I just want everyones opinion about how, what route, and what all i should do and take into consoderation when setting this up. Especially the stuff you dont think about till its already full of water. And the one corner seems to have lost a strip of the sealant, should i worry about this and reseal or jiat leave it
It still hold water ive filled it up to nake sure.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Home Hardware sells aquarium safe silicone.  The exact name escapes me, but it says "safe for aquariums" right on the tube. Thinks it's only $10-$15 for three tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
jeffopentax link said:
Home Hardware sells aquarium safe silicone.  The exact name escapes me, but it says \"safe for aquariums\" right on the tube. Thinks it's only $10-$15 for three tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather Shield silicone at Home Hardware is good and safe to use..

http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=862.msg5312#msg5312

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeahbijust bought the aqueon brand for 24.99 lmao. Whatever it says its usrd for manufacturing aquariums so seems reliable to me. Aby other build thig to take into consideration? Whats with stryofoam.under a tank. Any insight and ideas would be greatly appreciated from anyone thatbhas had there experience with big tanks. Thanks in advance.

KBennett

Don't use Styrofoam if it has plastic edging.  What I did was foam under a plywood sheet.  The weight of the tank squished it pretty good everywhere though.  Not sure if it did anything.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
KBennett link said:
Don't use Styrofoam if it has plastic edging.  What I did was foam under a plywood sheet.  The weight of the tank squished it pretty good everywhere though.  Not sure if it did anything.

Oh it's definitely doing something. Do you think your sheet of plywood is perfectly level? Doubt it :)

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I used home hardware brand in a sump once and it turned yellow, I would get some GE SCS1200 or a good aquarium silicone, you only get what you pay for.

KBennett

reeferkeeper420 link said:
What is the rrasoning behind the styro under the tank tho? Is this something i should do or does it really mattr?

Styrofoam is thought to even out any imperfections or high spots that might cause stress under the tank.  If your tank has a plastic rim, Styrofoam is not recommended because it might push up the glass in the middle of your tank, causing the tank to be lifted in the middle rather than the edges.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
No rim gets a layer of foam just to eliminate uneven bumps and dents.

Rmed tanks just get put down.

Either way don't rely of foam to level the tank.  Level the stand.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Its hard to tell if the top was rimmed. But it does appear it was. Really tho. I just bought this not to long ago through the site to. Thats alot of money down the drain...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
hey man, the guy that had that tank setup had it up exactly how you have it for 5 years, no rims, no problems...

dont let my problems scare you into being ultra paranoid :)