180 gallon build.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah the seals between the glass look fine ive had it full of water for a week. Its just the two front seals thats are deteiorated on the inside. So i would just strip whats left off and resilicone?

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
And yeah poseidons seen it. And i dont plan on dismantling my 46, was just having second thoughts about going bigger lol. And yeah i def dont have the know how, putting a tank back together.

Jewel

If I took it apart, then I'd have someone else put it back together, Any how Just reseal what you can. But just remember you have to get all the old stuff off. Silicone doesn't stick to Silicone. Do a good job and be confident about it.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah ill prolly re-silicone this aft. Yeah i def dotn want to dismantle and have someone else reassemble. If most of you is saying it should be ok, ill go with what you guys say.. i juat dont want a poseidon incident..and neither do my parents haha.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Jewel link said:
If I took it apart, then I'd have someone else put it back together, Any how Just reseal what you can. But just remember you have to get all the old stuff off. Silicone doesn't stick to Silicone. Do a good job and be confident about it.

See, I thought this is too, but Gary at sealife said it sticks very well to silicone. ... So I'm confused lol

davesolo29

Super Active Member
No way man.  I know from experience.  Caulking does not adhere to caulking.  I have fixed several roof leaks around chimney flashings because someone couldn't be bothered to clean the old stuff properly. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
+1, silicone DOES NOT stick to cured silicone, in order to get it right you must remove all the old silicone, a pile of razor blades for a tank that size, clean with vinegar, tape the corners and give a last wipe with alcohol, you will need 2 tubes of silicone, have a helper doing the finger thing and try to get the whole thing done before it starts to skim over.

benzzz

Here is a secret tool I don't tell too many people  lol. to strip silicone from a tank I have a Richards tool which you install a 3 inch exacto blade. You find it in the wallpaper removal section at Lowes. 10 bucks maybe.....This tool is about 10 inches long with handle. I have used it for more than one reseal and various other projects. I have moved on to building custom acrylic for the last few years.

Jewel

I expect the guy before you tried to redo it but he did a shitty job of it. just try what Benzz said, just try not to scratch the front panels too much. It's not a quick job it takes time and patience, You could do a great job.

Jewel

You have to get down to the glass with no silicone residue, better than new.DON'T touch the Silicone between the panels.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah im removing right now. But just the two corners? I dont have to remove the other silicone on the bottom? All other seals look fone just the front two were stripped kinda. The one was basically already removed.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
You have to do all of it.  All four corners and the bottom.  Otherwise it will leak where old silicone meets new silicone. 

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Youve got to be kidding.theres no way in hell i can get into the tank and remove all this silicone. Anyone want to buy a tank cheap? I think im giving up on this im about to take a baseball bat to the front of the tank. All this work and money and it still might not even be stable and safe...whats the point. Might aswell just sell it or dismantle it. The guy already half dismantled it he shoulda done me a favour and finished. This is just unbelievably heartbreakig right now.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I've done a 90g and a 140g, It's a lot of work but doable, lots of razor blades, fresh blades work well but once they are a bit dull it's a fight.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
It's not that hard once you get started.  Don't get discouraged.  Myself, I go to the dollar store and buy a four pack of blades that come with little handles on them.  Cost a buck.  Makes it real easy.  Could have that tank stripped in half an hour.  Then maybe another half hour to make sure it's all gone.  Clean really well with muriatic acid(first choice) or vinegar.  Dry it well.  Then resilicone. 

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
The tanks not leaking, i dont see how +50$ in silicone is gonna make this tank more stable? Im more worried its rimless when it wasnt suppose to be. Sorry for venting but this is just getting to much.. i jist dropped all this money on rock, planning on filling it up next weekend and starting to cycle. And now im back square 1. And basically out a bunch of money. First the sump got cracked and now the tank. A whole new set up by the sounds of things.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
If you do a nice job siliconing it you will feel much better about it and will also take that much more pride in your tank later on.